renting points

patch553

Original Poster
I know this may be a silly question,but we have ranted points through davids for a couple of visits in feb,having read a couple of threads on here im a little confused will the reservation be in our name?

JaxFLBear

The reservation will be in your name. If it wasn't, you would not be able to check-in upon arrival at the resort.

If you haven't already, you should link the reservation to your My Disney Experience (MDX) account.

Phonedave

Just to be clear - your name will be on the reservation - but you will not have control over the reservation.

Think of it this way, when parents go with kids, the kids names are on the reservation - but the kids have no control over the reservation. Sort of the same when you rent DVC points.

You will not be able to call up and ask questions about the reservation, or add things to it (like dining) - only the owner can do so. Your names will be on it, and you can use your My Disney Experience, but you have no control over the reservation.

We just went to food and wine, me, my wife and another couple, using my DVC. Our friends were on the reservation, they could link it to their MDX, they got magic bands, they could come and go from the room, and they could have checked in before us if they got there first. But only I could call DVC Member service and ask questions, confirm, or change/cancel the reservation. It would have been the same even if my name was not on the reservation, its still my DVC contract.

-dave

Glenn Stewart

Just to be clear - your name will be on the reservation - but you will not have control over the reservation.

Think of it this way, when parents go with kids, the kids names are on the reservation - but the kids have no control over the reservation. Sort of the same when you rent DVC points.

You will not be able to call up and ask questions about the reservation, or add things to it (like dining) - only the owner can do so. Your names will be on it, and you can use your My Disney Experience, but you have no control over the reservation.

We just went to food and wine, me, my wife and another couple, using my DVC. Our friends were on the reservation, they could link it to their MDX, they got magic bands, they could come and go from the room, and they could have checked in before us if they got there first. But only I could call DVC Member service and ask questions, confirm, or change/cancel the reservation. It would have been the same even if my name was not on the reservation, its still my DVC contract.

-dave
True the member makes any extra changes to the res, but i have people requesting things all the time, and do anything i can for them

Phonedave

True the member makes any extra changes to the res, but i have people requesting things all the time, and do anything i can for them

Many people do as you do, and many people happily rent privately. However, somebody could rent someone points, take their money, and then cancel the reservation just before they arrive. Working through a brokerage site offers some safety, as they hold the money in escrow, so even through your vacation may be all messed up, you at least get your money back.

I doubt it happens often, but the possibility does exist.

-dave

EOD K9

Many people do as you do, and many people happily rent privately. However, somebody could rent someone points, take their money, and then cancel the reservation just before they arrive. Working through a brokerage site offers some safety, as they hold the money in escrow, so even through your vacation may be all messed up, you at least get your money back.

-dave
I have rented to people on here and I can imagine that can be a huge concern. I will not give them the reservation number until I have their payment, but that still leaves no recourse for them should I pull a fast one.

Glenn Stewart

-dave
i do contracts, and have a list of references, plus if you did that once, and you will never rent to anyone again
i have over 4100 points so i am looking the big picture, and people rent more than once from me.

Glenn Stewart

I have rented to people on here and I can imagine that can be a huge concern. I will not give them the reservation number until I have their payment, but that still leaves no recourse for them should I pull a fast one.
i give the res right away, if they don't pay, then i can change the res, and rent to someone eles

Phonedave

i give the res right away, if they don't pay, then i can change the res, and rent to someone eles

It's like most private transactions (ebay, craigslist, local sales boards, etc) Once you have established a trust, it is easy.

Most people (renters and rentees) are not out to cheat anyone, but it's wise to go into the transaction with open eyes (and with documented expectations).

There was an incident a while ago where someone rented points, and a few months before the trip something came up (I think they lost their job, or something like that) and they wanted to cancel. The seller outright said "no refunds". The renter wanted to work with the seller, and try to -rent the points, maybe pay a inconvenience fee, and would cover anything that was not re-rented, but the seller said no. There was a whole discussion around what was the right thing to do, and what people were obligated to do, etc etc.
All of that would have been avoided if there was clear, documented, policies. Just something to think about when entering private transactions.

-dave

EOD K9

It's like most private transactions (ebay, craigslist, local sales boards, etc) Once you have established a trust, it is easy.

Most people (renters and rentees) are not out to cheat anyone, but it's wise to go into the transaction with open eyes (and with documented expectations).

There was an incident a while ago where someone rented points, and a few months before the trip something came up (I think they lost their job, or something like that) and they wanted to cancel. The seller outright said "no refunds". The renter wanted to work with the seller, and try to -rent the points, maybe pay a inconvenience fee, and would cover anything that was not re-rented, but the seller said no. There was a whole discussion around what was the right thing to do, and what people were obligated to do, etc etc.
All of that would have been avoided if there was clear, documented, policies. Just something to think about when entering private transactions.

-dave
I think I vaguely remember that thread. Luckily I have established that trust with a chosen few on here. If they had to opt out, I would try to help them as much as possible, but a man has to know his limitations.

Glenn Stewart

I think I vaguely remember that thread. Luckily I have established that trust with a chosen few on here. If they had to opt out, I would try to help them as much as possible, but a man has to know his limitations.
yes i help them if i can, but i tell everyone i rent to that it is your res, if you rent from re renters it's a final transaction, i think i;ve heard of 1 place that will offer insurance for your trip, and you have to buy at time of booking but i've been rent since 2007, so i have a lot people that know me

yedliW

I have a question that is on a related note.. My wife is an owner (she bought in before we got married, so I am not on the contract), but we only have 160 pts. and are not currently in a position to add to it at this time (although, we hope to be able to in the future). She likes to be accommodating to friends and family who want to travel with us. This is fine, but you burn through those points pretty quick with guests.. We just returned from a trip where we used all of this year's points, and borrowed many from next year to cover a 2br suite.

Is it possible to augment a trip with rented points rather than borrowing from next year? My thought is to use our 160 pts, and have our guests pay to rent the extra points for a villa large enough to cover the number of people that would be traveling with us.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
I have a question that is on a related note.. My wife is an owner (she bought in before we got married, so I am not on the contract), but we only have 160 pts. and are not currently in a position to add to it at this time (although, we hope to be able to in the future). She likes to be accommodating to friends and family who want to travel with us. This is fine, but you burn through those points pretty quick with guests.. We just returned from a trip where we used all of this year's points, and borrowed many from next year to cover a 2br suite.

Is it possible to augment a trip with rented points rather than borrowing from next year? My thought is to use our 160 pts, and have our guests pay to rent the extra points for a villa large enough to cover the number of people that would be traveling with us.
The only way to do that would be to have the owner of the rented points transfer them to your account. One issue may be that a member can only do this once a year. If the person with the points has already done this, then they will not be able to transfer the points to you.

Another thing to note as well. The rules on transferring points state that a member may NOT receive compensation for the transfer of points, so a renter may not wish to go against this rule. You can see all of this on the DVC website as well.

Good luck!!

Phonedave

Everything that LuvThe Good said is true.

However, you *could* also do a split stay. If you were going to stay for a week. Use your points to rent the villa for 4 days, and then have your guests pay to rent points for the next 3 days. They only issue with this is it is TWO reservations, under two different owners. Guest services and the front desk may be able to work with you to keep you in the same room, but you would have to technically check out and check back in and there is the risk they would also make you move rooms.

-dave

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom