How bad is Port Orleans Riverside?

fireworksandfairytales

In the Parks
No
POR is my favorite resort! I think the beds are just as comfortable as any other moderate resort, I've never had an experience with a dirty room, and I've never waited more than 15-20 minutes for a bus there. I think you'll love it if you give it a chance :)

papa

POR is our favorite resort in disney. Everything about this resort is great, from the landscaping to the boat to downtown disney. We have stayed at POR our last four visits and will be going back again next year.

TaraWdopeyfan

Original Poster
We loved the resort, and we booked the bounce back offer to stay there again next year. My husband wasn't sure how he'd like the Alligator Bayou rooms but he loved them and our youngest daughter loved the pull down bed. Thank you again to everyone who replied. PS we must have gotten lucky cause the bus service was great, never waited more than 10-15 minutes for a bus.

DisneyFans4Life

My wife and I did 1 night at POFQ and then 7 nights at POR (all in the same vacation) back in June and we loved it! We decided at the last minute to add an extra night to our vacation and check in a day early and POFQ was available. The rest of our vacation we had a royal guest room and we LOVED it! Walking around the resort was a lot of fun, they have a great pool, activities for kids and the food court had a lot to offer. We never once had an issue with cleanliness or insects or anything. Our only slight complaint was the bus. I wasn't a huge fan of having to make multiple stops at the different depots before actually getting on our way to the park. We did however take the boat over to DS, which was very enjoyable. Don't think twice about staying there...you will enjoy every minute of it!!

pbrsaau

So my husband has been reading a lot of bad reviews on riverside. How bad are the rooms, a lot of complaints about them being dirty, and the beds not being comfortable. He also read the busses are awful and folks saying they waited over an hour for busses. Any one been there recently?
We stayed there last November - had a great time. Room was great and bus service was typical waits 15-20 minutes.

EpcotCenter82

I stayed at POR about 10 days ago and had a great experience. I had no issues whatsoever with the bus transportation from the resort or parks. The room was kept clean during my stay. No complaints there. I also received several towel animals during the week which was a surprise as I had read that WDW had stopped the housekeepers from leaving towel animals. No issues either with the bed being uncomfortable. Of course after several days of riding buses, standing in lines, and getting up early to be at the parks before opening, I could probably sleep on a concrete slab without any problem!

TB4244

We stayed there last November - had a great time. Room was great and bus service was typical waits 15-20 minutes.
We also stayed there last November and I would definitely stay there again, the resort is superb - In fact I'd say its my favourite on property. The only reason we're staying at CBR next year instead is that the price difference between POR and CBR was exactly the same as upgrading to DDP from QS. So the choice came down to the boat to DS or food....

Food won.

tglancy

I think POR has some very good qualities and a few lacking qualities. My family stayed there for 10 days in August.

The room itself was great. We have two boys along with my wife and myself and we requested a room with a pull down bed. Received our request and found the room to be perfect. We don't spend a lot of time in the room when we are on vacation, so as a place to sleep, shower and shave it was perfect. Also, the walls seemed much thicker and more soundproof than when we stayed at BC in 13 and 14. Our trip to BC was a nightmare in 13 because the people in the room next to ours had a SCREAMING child that they did nothing about every night.

The bus service was challenging, but that might be more due to my family having only stayed at BC before. We were used to being able to walk to DHS or Epcot and only having to take the bus to AK or MK (and the nightmare bus to DTD) so we never really cared about the buses. Having to take the bus everywhere was a new wrinkle, and it led to a lot of frustration. The buses were always crowded, and it's not very fun to have to share a seat with someone who doesn't quite fit in theirs, which seemed to happen to my wife every time we got on a bus. Also, we are a very quiet, talk amongst ourselves family, so being on a bus full of people who feel the need to have very loud conversations about themselves is very off putting. Also, the waits seemed to be long at times. The one positive about the bus system was the screen at the south depot that had the arrival times for the next bus. Why they don't have something like this at every station is beyond me.

The food court was a disaster. The food was fine, with a lot of variety for my vegetarian wife, but it was always slammed. 8 in the morning? Slammed. 8 at night? Slammed. All points in between? Slammed. This is where the "walk to Epcot" factor came in. In the past, we could walk to Boardwalk and get something, walk to Epcot and get something. There were dozens of choices. Here there was one food court and EVERYONE was eating there. If you don't mind feeling like you are in a high school cafeteria, the food is good, but the stress caused by the food court was not worth it.

However, Boatwrights was AMAZING. We had the best server (Kevin) and this was our favorite meal of our entire trip. The atmosphere is great, and the BBQ shrimp appetizer was fantastic.

Also, the live music in the lounge was one of the more fun nights we had. We grabbed a table, had some food from the food court, a few drinks, and had a blast. Amazing night.

The staff at the front desk was great. I went down every night and paid off my purchases for the day using cash and gift cards, and it was painless every time.

The pool was another thing that was a bit of a mess. Always busy, not anywhere near large enough for the amount of people there, and really not enjoyable.

The boat ride to Disney Springs was great. We spent a lot more time at Disney Springs than we had in the past, partially due to the new shops and restaurants, but also because it was easier to hop on the boat instead of getting back on a bus to go back to a park. Beautiful ride. Also, the carriage ride is worth it as well. Had a great trip around POR and FQ and really relaxed.

All in all, I think it's a nice resort but it wasn't for my family. We were probably spoiled by going to BC first, which is the most first world problem thing ever. "oh, we didn't like it because the buses were busy and the pool and food court were nuts."

Minnesota disney fan

So my husband has been reading a lot of bad reviews on riverside. How bad are the rooms, a lot of complaints about them being dirty, and the beds not being comfortable. He also read the busses are awful and folks saying they waited over an hour for busses. Any one been there recently?

Tara: My family has stayed at POR several times, plus once a year for past 4 years. We love POR. We have never had a dirty room. Housekeeping has been great every time. They have always cleaned when we requested, such as between 8am and 12noon, and never had a problem. The beds are very comfortable. Trust me! I have fibromyalgia and arthritis and I always have pain, especially at night. I am quite comfortable in those beds, as is my husband who has a bad back. I know what you are saying about the negative posts about the buses at POR. Again, our average wait time over the years have been 10 minutes. Only one time we had to wait for 30 minutes, and that was coming back from HS after the fantasmic show. I hope these negative reports don't persuade you not to try POR. We love the ambience and beautiful tropical setting of alligator bayou, quiet pools, winding paths with little bridges, the Mill food court with the best food of any I've tried, good housekeeping, very nice CM's. I've had no problems at POR, and I am a picky person. So, I hope you try it yourself. I know everyone has a different experience, but these have been ours. If we had ever had a bad experience, we would not be back. and that has never happened. It continues to be our home away from home!

matt9112

so the rooms are great IMO (i would stay in the gator rooms) rather than the mansion rooms. however the resort itself was very nice and met my expectations of a moderate. (we did have one instance of awful bus dispatching for EPCOT) (they ended up calling an entirely different bus to pick us up after filling 3) however i would tick this as a rarity. the quick serve food is also (to be expected) garbage. its really all about expectations. good luck!

matt9112

I think POR has some very good qualities and a few lacking qualities. My family stayed there for 10 days in August.

The room itself was great. We have two boys along with my wife and myself and we requested a room with a pull down bed. Received our request and found the room to be perfect. We don't spend a lot of time in the room when we are on vacation, so as a place to sleep, shower and shave it was perfect. Also, the walls seemed much thicker and more soundproof than when we stayed at BC in 13 and 14. Our trip to BC was a nightmare in 13 because the people in the room next to ours had a SCREAMING child that they did nothing about every night.

The bus service was challenging, but that might be more due to my family having only stayed at BC before. We were used to being able to walk to DHS or Epcot and only having to take the bus to AK or MK (and the nightmare bus to DTD) so we never really cared about the buses. Having to take the bus everywhere was a new wrinkle, and it led to a lot of frustration. The buses were always crowded, and it's not very fun to have to share a seat with someone who doesn't quite fit in theirs, which seemed to happen to my wife every time we got on a bus. Also, we are a very quiet, talk amongst ourselves family, so being on a bus full of people who feel the need to have very loud conversations about themselves is very off putting. Also, the waits seemed to be long at times. The one positive about the bus system was the screen at the south depot that had the arrival times for the next bus. Why they don't have something like this at every station is beyond me.

The food court was a disaster. The food was fine, with a lot of variety for my vegetarian wife, but it was always slammed. 8 in the morning? Slammed. 8 at night? Slammed. All points in between? Slammed. This is where the "walk to Epcot" factor came in. In the past, we could walk to Boardwalk and get something, walk to Epcot and get something. There were dozens of choices. Here there was one food court and EVERYONE was eating there. If you don't mind feeling like you are in a high school cafeteria, the food is good, but the stress caused by the food court was not worth it.

However, Boatwrights was AMAZING. We had the best server (Kevin) and this was our favorite meal of our entire trip. The atmosphere is great, and the BBQ shrimp appetizer was fantastic.

Also, the live music in the lounge was one of the more fun nights we had. We grabbed a table, had some food from the food court, a few drinks, and had a blast. Amazing night.

The staff at the front desk was great. I went down every night and paid off my purchases for the day using cash and gift cards, and it was painless every time.

The pool was another thing that was a bit of a mess. Always busy, not anywhere near large enough for the amount of people there, and really not enjoyable.

The boat ride to Disney Springs was great. We spent a lot more time at Disney Springs than we had in the past, partially due to the new shops and restaurants, but also because it was easier to hop on the boat instead of getting back on a bus to go back to a park. Beautiful ride. Also, the carriage ride is worth it as well. Had a great trip around POR and FQ and really relaxed.

All in all, I think it's a nice resort but it wasn't for my family. We were probably spoiled by going to BC first, which is the most first world problem thing ever. "oh, we didn't like it because the buses were busy and the pool and food court were nuts."

yeah look at the difference in price. that's your answer. BC is insane rack rates.

TaraWdopeyfan

Original Poster
Tara: My family has stayed at POR several times, plus once a year for past 4 years. We love POR. We have never had a dirty room. Housekeeping has been great every time. They have always cleaned when we requested, such as between 8am and 12noon, and never had a problem. The beds are very comfortable. Trust me! I have fibromyalgia and arthritis and I always have pain, especially at night. I am quite comfortable in those beds, as is my husband who has a bad back. I know what you are saying about the negative posts about the buses at POR. Again, our average wait time over the years have been 10 minutes. Only one time we had to wait for 30 minutes, and that was coming back from HS after the fantasmic show. I hope these negative reports don't persuade you not to try POR. We love the ambience and beautiful tropical setting of alligator bayou, quiet pools, winding paths with little bridges, the Mill food court with the best food of any I've tried, good housekeeping, very nice CM's. I've had no problems at POR, and I am a picky person. So, I hope you try it yourself. I know everyone has a different experience, but these have been ours. If we had ever had a bad experience, we would not be back. and that has never happened. It continues to be our home away from home!

Thank you for responding. We did enjoy our room, and actually booked to stay again next year. My only disappointment was no towel animals but I heard they don't leave those anymore, so I was okay with it at the end of the trip. My girls loved the room and so did my husband.

TaraWdopeyfan

Original Poster
I was just at PORS and it's fine.

Buses. In my stays at WDW the amount of time to get somewhere seems to be based on how much you paid. I didn't have problems with the buses but they are longer rides then say Wilderness Lodge or for that matter any of the monorail hotels. The boat to Disney Springs is nice at PORS and that is true at any of the hotels that have have boat service. The thing is I don't think any of the boat service hotels are cheap. I really shouldn't say cheap sense places like the Grand Floridian are wildly expensive. PORS isn't cheap either just least expensive.

Buses not an issue with me at all. I didn't like the stops going around PORS but it is a big resort and it may work to your advantage depending on where you stay exactly.

Dirty rooms? I had no problem with house keeping.

Bad mattresses? Mine was fine at PORS. I threw a fit a few years ago at the Wilderness Lodge which was double the price of PORS and the mattress was horrible. The carpet was worn out in the room and the toilet was running no stop. I fixed the toilet myself BTW. Charge me $360 a night for what would never be in my house? Run down slum it what that was. The mattress at WL felt like someone who weighed 500 pounds had been sleeping in it for the last 5 years. Huge pit in the middle that I rolled into, no support at all. Pure ### is what it was. I would get a better mattress for my dog. I really can't say anything bad about the room at PORS. Side note, WL did replace all that stuff that was terrible in the last time I stayed there.

Food? There is a sit down restaurant that was far better then the food court. Over all I hate eating at Disney, I'm not a guy who ever eats in a place that involves a tray so in general all fast services places are terrible horrible places. I hate having some 300 pound lady trying to get a head of me in line etc. etc. Loosers. That said I will give a review of the PORS food court.
First off I'm not a small guy and remember my school days, how to throw a body block, intimidate people, you know etc. etc. childish behavior. I thought the selection was pretty good at all meals, you could get a decent pizza, at the same time you could get a decent roast beef sandwich or turkey with gravy platter. That stuff was all expensive for what it was also to large so it justified it's price? Sort of or at least Disney is trying to justify it's prices. I also got the kids make your own salad for lunch and it came with good sides. I got an OJ which is usually $3.99 a bottle included in my kids salad plus a cookie. Sweet. Think the kids price was $5.99. Don't overlook the kids menu, you don't need to be a kid to order off of it. Going native looking to beat the system. LOL>
Have to say I wasn't impressed by breakfast because I ordered wrong the first time and didn't know the system. Know where the plasticware and condiments are located before you buy your food and get a table or you will have cold food. There is a toaster and microwave if needed. I don't call that a good restaurant but apparently people are use to that kind of service? I went native, figuring it out as I went. Omelet station will give you a hot omelet with good hash browns. Make your own yogurt is good. Look around, keeping in mind the kids menu and things can good well enough.
Over all the food court was good enough, as far as I'm concerned it's horrible but for most people it will be crowded but enough options with decent food. That's pretty much what I say about all Disney food even the table service ones so take it with a grain of salt.

Do realize you will hear more complaints on message boards then good things. I watch this mess of a family with scooters and everything else going on get on the bus. First thing they talked about was how WDW wasn't handicapped friendly. They also talked about hitting the message boards with their story. LOL> They were something to see on an entertainment level but I would never pay any attention to anything they would ever say, their world was much different then the one I live in. LOL.

LOL, thank you for your reply, had me giggling at my desk. It was more the hubby who was worried than me. I agree about not listening to the reviews. some folks like to complain about everything and will make mountains out of ant hills no matter what. But we really loved the resort, and will be staying again next year. Thou part of us would love to go back to French Quarter, we really enjoyed Riverside so it will be our new home away from home for the next few years

Astro Blaster

Just got back from a stay at Riverside. Really liked the room, seemed recently refurbished. Stayed in Alligator Bayou, no pest problems to speak of inside my room but I had geckos outside my door every night (got back to my room late every night). Apparently they are good luck though -

http://www.northwestfloridaoutdoora...os-urban-geckos-of-florida-and-the-southeast/

As for buses...they seemed to come frequently but every time I would have to take a tour of the resort before the bus got on its way. Usually I would get on the bus at the west depot stop, and we would stop at the north depot, east depot, and south depot (lobby) before leaving. Twice I left from the south depot, and we stopped at the west depot, north depot, and east depot before leaving. Maybe I just had really bad luck, so much for the geckos...

Tinkerbella16

I just returned from a 10 day stay at Riverside and it was wonderful from start to finish! This was my 3rd time staying there and this stay reminded me why I love it there so much. I stayed in a royal room, with a perfect location - was actually upgraded from garden to pool view and was closer to the foot bridge that is right next to the main building. The beds were comfortable and after a long day, I slept like a baby each night. The food court has got to be my favorite of all the values and moderate resorts and I have been to them all. Apparently this resort was booked up, at least that is what it was showing online... well you would have never known it. It was SO quiet, peaceful and relaxing the entire trip. I love the grounds there - nice and spread out with a great main pool and quiet pools. I used the boat to Disney Springs quite a few times and I just love that you can get away from the buses and enjoy the ride over. I must have awesome luck because I read nothing but negatives about the buses there.. all of my stays at POR and even POFQ, the buses were great! Never waited more than 10 minutes for one going and coming back from a park. Or I got really lucky and got there just in time and a bus pulled up. I have zero complaints about the buses, they have always been wonderful, and I know they can be a hit or miss anywhere.

I had friends staying at AoA, so one night I went over there to check it out and have dinner with them at The Landscape of Flavors. This was another reminder of why I love Port Orleans so much. AoA was packed with people everywhere, inside the food court and outside. It was very loud all over the place. I get that it is a big resort and tons of families stay there, but so is the case at Riverside and it was such a huge difference in noise and feeling crowded. I felt it almost immediately at AoA, where I never felt it once at POR. For as crowded as the parks were, Riverside felt like an escape from all of the "noise" and that was really nice to come back to each day. I had such a great stay, it was so hard to leave my room on the morning of departure.. I was so sad! I would recommend Riverside to anyone!

Tinkerbella16

Thank you for responding. We did enjoy our room, and actually booked to stay again next year. My only disappointment was no towel animals but I heard they don't leave those anymore, so I was okay with it at the end of the trip. My girls loved the room and so did my husband.
During my 10 day stay last week at Riverside, I received 3 towel animals - elephant, some kind of dog or something and a bird. So I honestly think it is up to the housekeeper.. mine was wonderful!

JasonDeyoung

Just returned from a 9 day stay at Riverside and it was as awesome as I was expecting it to be. I've not stayed there except for a night in January since it was the old Dixie Landings, I always stay elsewhere so I was excited to give this great resort another shot. I booked a royal guest room - garden view. Was in the Oak Manor building 90 great location! I was a short walk to lobby and main bus stop and had another bus stop a short walk in another direction from my building. Was nice and close to catch the boat to Disney springs as well. Rooms were pretty cool, housekeeping did a good job no complaints there except the one morning they came right at 8am on the dot after a late night lol oh well no biggie. Food, I love the food court and have always thought of it as one of the better and no complaints there. Check In, I had direct to room so it wasn't ready when I arrived at 10am so dropped my luggage and headed to Disney springs and got lunch. Got a text it was ready at 1pm. About the time I expected. Bus system I never had one issue, they ran multiple busses for each park in pretty good time. Never waited over 10 mins except once for a ak bus I waited I think 25 mins. Great stay, loved every minute and will defiantly be back at riverside again soon

Last edited:

Plutos Pal

Just got back from a 5 day stay at Riverside. Was very happy. I don't recall ever having a bad experience there. The resort had a good size crowd, but was manageable. Never had a problem getting a table in the food court for breakfast. The lines were always moving at each counter. Our room was located close to the north bus depot which seemed to work in our favor. The buses seemed to start pickups at the west depot, then move on to the north, then east and then south depot (lobby). So we could get on with little to no crowd. Bus waits weren't bad and housekeeping was great as always. Of course, everyone's experience always differs.

LuckyStar816

I will never stay at riverside again! We stayed November 16-21. Housekeeping was terrible. I had to call for toilet paper, towels, and wash cloths. Garbage bags were not replaced, etc. Bus waits were terrible. The only thing we liked was the room. A royal guest room very cute for our 4 year old!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom