2016 Contests

Amber

6+4+3=2
Premium Member
Original Poster
First of all, I would like to thank everyone for their participation in the contests this year, even if it was only to vote.

It's about that time of year again that we start thinking about what changes we want to make to the contests for next year as well as the topics for the contests.

I will go back through this year's contests, keep the popular ones and remove the ones that were not so popular. In the meantime, if you have any ideas for next year's topics or changes you would like to see please respond here, or send me a PM.

Since I know some people only make the trek to Disney once a year for the holidays, I would like to have the schedule for next year posted in early December. Please post your suggestions here by December 1st. I will go through everything and try to have the new list posted the following weekend.

Thank you!

PUSH

I think all of the topics are good, but the Bokeh one is a bit confusing for those of us who aren't as familiar with photography concepts. I believe this was brought up in last year's version of this thread.

Some possible topic ideas:
- Restaurants (not just food, but pictures of the building, etc)
- Black & White (allowed to edit to make black & white)

Love the contests. Keep up the good work! :)

Amber

6+4+3=2
Premium Member
Original Poster
Thanks! Editing may not even be needed for Black & White - I know my camera has a setting for that and it's not very high tech. I'll add it to the list!

PUSH

Thanks! Editing may not even be needed for Black & White - I know my camera has a setting for that and it's not very high tech. I'll add it to the list!
The only reason I'd need it would be if I wanted to turn some of my color photos into black & white, since I haven't specially taken any.

LSUxStitch

Any reason for no editing photos? I'd submit, but I shoot in RAW format which requires editing.

I agree about not faking skies, cloning out major pieces, etc...but color editing shouldn't be frowned upon imo.

Amber

6+4+3=2
Premium Member
Original Poster
Any reason for no editing photos? I'd submit, but I shoot in RAW format which requires editing.

I agree about not faking skies, cloning out major pieces, etc...but color editing shouldn't be frowned upon imo.

The stance on this has always been that this is a photo taking contest, not a photo editing contest. Anyone can sit at a computer and make their photo look fabulous. It takes a bit more skill to do that in the moment with a camera. And there's no way to draw a line other than "no editing allowed." Something like "well, this person changed colors on something and was allowed to enter the contest, why did I do [whatever] and my entry was denied?" is not something that I can keep fair.

Also, this year's photoshop contest only had one entry. That tells me something too.

PUSH

In my opinion, I like to see the raw shot rather than the "make believe" shot. There's something nice seeing the real image rather than the fake. Plus, I don't have the time, or the will, to sit and edit my photos. I like the no editing rule.

LSUxStitch

The stance on this has always been that this is a photo taking contest, not a photo editing contest. Anyone can sit at a computer and make their photo look fabulous. It takes a bit more skill to do that in the moment with a camera. And there's no way to draw a line other than "no editing allowed." Something like "well, this person changed colors on something and was allowed to enter the contest, why did I do [whatever] and my entry was denied?" is not something that I can keep fair.

Also, this year's photoshop contest only had one entry. That tells me something too.

My stance on this is there's a lot more to a photo than editing. An edited photo that is terribly composed, is just that, it's still a bad photo. Even back in the dark room ages, photos were altered and edited back then. Photoshop and Lightroom are nothing more than a digital dark room.

"Anyone can sit at a computer and make their photo look fabulous. It takes a bit more skill to do that in the moment with a camera."

I'm going to politely disagree here. Not anyone can edit their photos to make them look "fabulous."

I feel the reason you don't get many photoshop entries is that this part of the photography forum looks down upon editors, so they don't even come around anymore.

Was just my opinion and I guess I'll continue to not visit or contribute to this section of the forum. Oh well, was worth a try.

fractal

My stance on this is there's a lot more to a photo than editing. An edited photo that is terribly composed, is just that, it's still a bad photo. Even back in the dark room ages, photos were altered and edited back then. Photoshop and Lightroom are nothing more than a digital dark room.

"Anyone can sit at a computer and make their photo look fabulous. It takes a bit more skill to do that in the moment with a camera."

I'm going to politely disagree here. Not anyone can edit their photos to make them look "fabulous."

I feel the reason you don't get many photoshop entries is that this part of the photography forum looks down upon editors, so they don't even come around anymore.

Was just my opinion and I guess I'll continue to not visit or contribute to this section of the forum. Oh well, was worth a try.

i agree with this and have argued the same in the past. Today's digital photos are either "develped" in the camera as a Jpeg or by the photographer from Raw to Jpeg. As you said, "editing" a RAW file is today's version of a darkroom.

fractal

In my opinion, I like to see the raw shot rather than the "make believe" shot. There's something nice seeing the real image rather than the fake. Plus, I don't have the time, or the will, to sit and edit my photos. I like the no editing rule.

The shot out of your camera as a Jpeg is edited. It's not a RAW file, it's edited by the camera using an in camera processing/editing algorithm. In fact most modern cameras allow you to influence that editing by adding vibrance, sharpness or put into a special mode. If I set my camera to HDR mode it will take a picture, edit it in camera and give me a HDR Jpeg which would be acceptable for this contest. However, if I took a RAW photo, cropped it and made a few adjustments in Lightroom my photo would not qualify. Makes no sense.

PUSH

The shot out of your camera as a Jpeg is edited. It's not a RAW file, it's edited by the camera using an in camera processing/editing algorithm. In fact most modern cameras allow you to influence that editing by adding vibrance, sharpness or put into a special mode. If I set my camera to HDR mode it will take a picture, edit it in camera and give me a HDR Jpeg which would be acceptable for this contest. However, if I took a RAW photo, cropped it and made a few adjustments in Lightroom my photo would not qualify. Makes no sense.
I think the reasoning behind no computer-based editing is to prevent the heavily done edits. It's difficult to enforce what is allowed and not allowed in an computer-based edit. Taking it straight from the camera is a more clear-cut rule with fewer gray areas.

Perhaps if there are several posters who would like editing allowed, there could be a tweak in the rules. This could be done by having two polls - one for the straight-from-the-camera shots, and one for the computer edited shots. However, this could lead to a lack of submissions for one poll or the other. Another way it could be done is allow it for say the first few weeks of the new year. After this time a vote could be cast to allow or not allow computer-edited photos, based on what the contestants and spectators witness over those few weeks. But this could lead to one side not wanting to participate at all after the conclusion had been made. A third option would be to allow Amber, or contestants, to veto a photo if it is deemed too heavily edited (i.e. overly/unrealistically saturated, change of colors, distortion of image, etc).

Just some ideas that could cater to both viewpoints.

Amber

6+4+3=2
Premium Member
Original Poster
I've said this before, but here we go again. If you take a photo from your camera, upload it wherever you upload to, and then post it to the contest, that is acceptable. Whatever is done within your camera is acceptable. If you take the photo from the camera, upload it wherever, and make ANY changes to it other than re-sizing it to fit the contest rule, that is editing. I don't care about changing from one format to another within the camera. However, once you make changes to the photo in some sort of editing program, that makes the entry no longer about the photo you took, it is now about your editing skills.

This is the only way to eliminate gray area. There's just no good way to allow "some" editing. It has to be all or nothing, and in this case, it's no editing allowed.

fractal

I think the reasoning behind no computer-based editing is to prevent the heavily done edits. It's difficult to enforce what is allowed and not allowed in an computer-based edit. Taking it straight from the camera is a more clear-cut rule with fewer gray areas.

Perhaps if there are several posters who would like editing allowed, there could be a tweak in the rules. This could be done by having two polls - one for the straight-from-the-camera shots, and one for the computer edited shots. However, this could lead to a lack of submissions for one poll or the other. Another way it could be done is allow it for say the first few weeks of the new year. After this time a vote could be cast to allow or not allow computer-edited photos, based on what the contestants and spectators witness over those few weeks. But this could lead to one side not wanting to participate at all after the conclusion had been made. A third option would be to allow Amber, or contestants, to veto a photo if it is deemed too heavily edited (i.e. overly/unrealistically saturated, change of colors, distortion of image, etc).

Just some ideas that could cater to both viewpoints.

All good ideas. The non-edited rule is already leading to many not participating in the contest. Just look at the photo of the day thread and see how many don't join in that once did.

@Amber I'm just expressing my view (again) as you have asked for feedback. I do appreciate all the hard and good work you do in this sub-forum. I also recognize these rules were in place when you took over the contest. Even if I don't participate as much as before, I do stop by and make sure to vote.

LSUxStitch

And let's be honest here..allowing editing MAY actually raise participants. It's not like the threads are overflowing with submissions, so I don't think allowing it would hurt.

The photographers in the other subs show some fantastic work, it's a shame it cannot be showcased here. I'm not sure if the damage has been done though, to make them aware of rule changes, if you decide to try it out.

Again, you asked for suggestions and I'm glad to see at least one person and maybe another may start to agree with my suggestions.

fractal

How about "dark ride" as a subject? Capturing a good shot in the dark (with no flash!) in a moving object certainly is photographically challenging.

ZapperZ

And let's be honest here..allowing editing MAY actually raise participants. It's not like the threads are overflowing with submissions, so I don't think allowing it would hurt..

As a long-time participant of the photo contest, I'm sure I will not continue to participate if Photo editing is allowed. I'm sure my leaving will have no bearing or effect on the contest, but that is how I feel about it.

Zz.

PUSH

As a long-time participant of the photo contest, I'm sure I will not continue to participate if Photo editing is allowed. I'm sure my leaving will have no bearing or effect on the contest, but that is how I feel about it.

Zz.
I haven't participated as long as you have, but I'd lean in the same direction. It becomes too much work to have to edit. I like the ease of searching through my photos and uploading them without any extra effort.

ginadee

I like the idea that the photo contest seems to be (and I could be wrong) maybe not so much as the photography skills but the photo itself. I think people vote on maybe what they relate to or like in picture and what looks the most fun. It gives everyone a chance. I like seeing everyones everyday vacation pics.

ginadee

Some ideas. Maybe more people pics? Like family, friends, interactions with cast members or characters, selfies. Favorite thing in each park. Favorite restaurant, attraction, in each park.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom