Anyone had a terrible experience RENTING points?

cursivesailor

Original Poster
Im curious how often someone has a problem renting points?

I think we are going to rent points from one of the brokerage sites, but am still a little hesitant because of the risk and the lack of control.

How often does it all blow up in your face?

I would hate to get all the way down there for a very special event and have the whole thing screwed up.

Minthorne

I rented many times before I bought resale and I still rent occasionally to augment my trips. Never had a problem.

lostpro9het

Ive rented at least 6 difference times. Half of the time from a vendor and the others direct from owners, all were excellent outcomes.

dreamfinder

The brokers charge a little more, but the good ones have solid contracts in place and typically will make problems right.

Weather_Lady

We rented for the first time about 18 months ago, and I had the same concerns. I researched exhaustively ahead of time, and I think I only found one or two occasions described in online forums and consumer websites in which a rental through a reputable broker (e.g., David's, dvcrentalstore, etc.) went wrong. In both cases, the fault was not the broker's, and in both cases, the broker made it right (e.g., securing comparable accommodations immediately).

Emboldened by what I'd read, we rented through David's, and the process was absolutely seamless. Their professionalism and responsiveness also gave me great confidence -- when I e-mailed or called, I was greeted by friendly, English-speaking agents who could answer every question. (I'd actually been in communication with three different DVC rental broker sites, and found all three to be equally professional and well-informed -- David's just happened to be the only one that had a member with the points we needed at the resort we wanted). We'd rent again from one of these reputable brokers in a heartbeat.

Lynne M

After about 14 years of daily reading of DVC boards, I think the blow-up-in-your-face incidents are VERY rare. The vast, great, majority of members who rent are just Disney vacationers like you or me, who can't take a trip that year and are renting out their points to try to cover their maintenance fees and/or loan payments.

A couple things to keep in mind if you decide to rent:

1. While the true scammers are very rare, things do go off the rails occasionally, because either the owner or renter isn't communicating well, and/or the terms aren't clear, and/or one or both parties don't understand DVC's rules. To me, this is an argument for using a broker like dvcbyrequest.com, who are extremely experienced in the ins and outs of DVC and renting, and who provide both parties with a detailed rental agreement that spells out who's responsible for what, the payment terms, etc. Especially for a first time renter like yourself, I think that's worth any additional cost that comes with using a broker.

2. To me, the biggest 'gotcha' is that you need to assume that your reservation is FINAL. No changes, no cancellations, no refunds. Because of tight availability at DVC resorts, it's usually not possible to make changes in reservation dates, or to change resorts. If there's a chance you may need to cancel because of family or work commitments, or because of illness, either get trip insurance or don't rent. You won't be getting your money back, otherwise.

DisneyDenis

There are individual renters like me who are willing to re-book if possible or give a 100% refund by check up to a day before points go into Holding. For me a cancellation 31 days up to the day before check-in I will give a 1/3 refund. I am in a very small minority, but we exist.

One of my renters had her best friend unexpectedly schedule her wedding on the day after her check-in date at the Polynesian Village. I had set-up a waitlist that finally came thru to make that first reservation happen. She wanted the weekend before!!! So, I re-booked what was available and waitlisted again. She then changed it to the weekend after the original booking (wedding prep made the 2nd booking no good). Now we are all set with her 3rd confirmed reservation. Try that with a broker !!!

JWG

We've rented points once and done point transfers twice (so 3 transactions), all were fine. Obviously the point transfer is safer as once you have the points in your accout they're yours, but we've had all positive experiences and have not used a broker.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom