Parking at hotels for counter-service dining

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
It's not a problem to park at a resort for this, we park at resorts for QS dining all the time, even around the Monorail loop. Just let the guard at the gate know why you're there and they'll wave you through, usually to an area dedicated to people dining. I actually called WDW (407) wdw-magic and asked them this question a few months back because someone told me that you can't, they clarified that you can but only to dine and shop. You can't dine and go to a park afterwards.
It is a problem at the monorail resorts, lots of people get turned around by security without a reservation. QS does not count for some of the security CMs, regardless of what the phone line says.

danyoung56

I haven't tried at the Poly - just at the Contemporary, when I go without reservations and eat dinner at the CG bar. Works great every time!

rucifee

It is a problem at the monorail resorts, lots of people get turned around by security without a reservation. QS does not count for some of the security CMs, regardless of what the phone line says.

Hmm I wonder how recent this is, I was literally at Contemporary to shop and have a QS dinner a few weeks ago. No problem, they just had me park in the last rows.

ptaylor

Premium Member
Sorry, but this just isn't true. Several times over the past couple of years I've gone to the Contemporary with nothing more than a plan to go up to the bar at the California Grill. I have no trouble at the security gate - they wave me right through. Maybe things get a bit tighter around the holidays. But most of the year you can still park at the hotels, as long as you have a legitimate reason for doing so.
I was denied yesterday at the Grand Floridian, and have been a number of times at Contemporary. It is very annoying.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Hmm I wonder how recent this is, I was literally at Contemporary to shop and have a QS dinner a few weeks ago. No problem, they just had me park in the last rows.
Like everything with security, either at the parks or resorts, it can go either way.

All I am saying is be prepared not to be allowed in without a reservation, because people are being denied entry. If you get in great.

rucifee

I was denied yesterday at the Grand Floridian, and have been a number of times at Contemporary. It is very annoying.

Well as someone who won't go near a monorail, if this is true it would just be one more reason to be unable to give them money. :(

rucifee

Like everything with security, either at the parks or resorts, it can go either way.

All I am saying is be prepared not to be allowed in without a reservation, because people are being denied entry. If you get in great.

I have no reason to not believe you, but I would be pretty angry if they turned me away as I won't ride a monorail. :(

danyoung56

I just love it when rucifee and I can find agreement somewhere!

I completely agree with this. I'm sure some people have trouble, based on the time of year and the size of the crowds. All I was saying is that my experience has been different, and I've never been turned away. But I'm always prepared with a Plan B.

cmoliver68

I have parked in the Contemporary lot twice in the past 2 weeks, including Thanksgiving day. I drove to the gate and told them I was going shopping at the Contemporary the first time (which I actually did) and the second time told them I wanted to take my daughter to the top to see the park at night. Neither time did I have an issue. Maybe it makes a difference since I am an AP holder since they do usually scan my band, but I have never been turned away from a guard gate at any resort.

horizons82

Original Poster
Greetings again! Thanks to all who gave input...I enjoyed reading the discussion.

I thought I'd give an update to my original question...

My wife and I (not saying on-site) drove down to WDW the night of Saturday the 5th. We decided to try and park at the Contemporary to have a quick dinner at Contempo Café and then take the monorail over to the GF to check out their holiday decorations and get some of the incredible gingerbread to enjoy as we wander about the lobby and listen to the live music.

Anyhow, I pulled up to the Contemporary gate/security stand and simply said, "We are here for dinner." Having done this many times before I already had my ID out, gave it to the guard and she motioned us through without asking to confirm a reservation or anything. So apparently at this point there was no problem getting in.

Parking was pretty full and the hotel felt really busy, so I'm rather surprised they didn't question us further or ask to confirm a reservation.

The resort monorail line was PACKED when we took it from the CR to the GF. In fact, this was the first time I can recall being at a resort station and having to wait for 2 or 3 monorails to come through before finally being able to get on...they were just that full each time they came through.

Dinner at Contempo was disappointing compared to visits before...might write another post about that later.

Thanks again to those who contributed to the discussion.

P.S. I assume at one time people may have felt it an advantage to park at the hotels and take the monorail to the MK, but with how busy the hotel was and then having to wait for the 3rd monorail to board and then still having to stop a the other resorts to get to the MK, I think it would have been just as easy to have parked in the main parking if trying to get into the park.

deanaandrich

My family also went to the monorail resorts on Saturday and we had no problems parking at GF. We just told the security guard that we were going to look at the Christmas decorations and we were let right in.

donsullivan

Premium Member
One thing that causes variability in reactions to allowing parking at the Contemporary are activities going on in the Magic Kingdom. If there is a special event (MNSSHP, MVMCP, etc..) or very busy day at MK, the Contemporary will have much tighter controls on parking. Unless you are paying attention to these activities, things may seem very random for parking at MK.

It's not uncommon to see similar constraints at the Epcot resorts during Food & Wine Festival.

Last Friday night, I was headed to MVMCP and had an early ADR at The Wave before the party so I parked at the Contemporary. When I went thru security, they had a printed list of all ADR's and checked my name against the printed list before letting me in.

Last edited:

danyoung56

I can't speak for everyone, every time. All I can say is that I've done it maybe 5 or 6 times, and have never had a problem with parking lot security. Maybe I'm just visiting during the right times. Or maybe I just have an honest face. Or maybe the security guard believes that I'm the kind of guy who would spend time at a bar!

Hockey89

I can't speak for everyone, every time. All I can say is that I've done it maybe 5 or 6 times, and have never had a problem with parking lot security. Maybe I'm just visiting during the right times. Or maybe I just have an honest face. Or maybe the security guard believes that I'm the kind of guy who would spend time at a bar!
And Ill can say is it is not good advise for people when they ask the question...Sure you got in many times but many people have been turned away, so the proper advise is to say it is hit more miss...

danyoung56

No, all I was presenting is my own experience. If others have had a different experience, then that all goes in the pot to make up a decision. I'm not going to say that something is problematic when my own experience has been smooth sailing.

s8film40

I won't talk about the background behind this to avoid abuse, but security is required to let guests in going to QS and shopping. They are also however tasked with trying to keep guests attempting to utilize the resort parking for the parks. The security guards are being pulled in two different directions on this issue and they are really for the most part just trying to make the best judgement that will keep them from getting in trouble with their supervisors. It's best to be completely honest and upfront and explain what you are trying to do. It also helps if you don't look like your going to a park, if your dressed nice like your going out for dinner for the night it makes it easier for them to believe this. If you meet resistance be polite and ask them to provide alternatives so that you can enjoy the QS or shopping. If you still have an issue note their name and the time when you were there then find an alternate way to the hotel and speak with management. Hotel management is pretty familiar with this issue and I have seen them unfortunately have to dish out hundreds of dollars of compensation to guests as a result (not that I suggest pursuing that).

Additionally and especially on very busy days if you want to ensure parking availability at the resorts you can simply valet park. Doing this earlier in the day at a less busy resort also gives you the added benefit of having a legitimate legal right to park there, they then have no choice but to allow you to park or issue you a refund.

Personally from a customer service standpoint I really think WDW should change this process. Simply charge an hourly rate for parking and offer validation to resort guests and hourly validation from restaurants and shops.

Jon81uk

Personally from a customer service standpoint I really think WDW should change this process. Simply charge an hourly rate for parking and offer validation to resort guests and hourly validation from restaurants and shops.

Or charge the same as the theme parks, $20, unless you have a resort reservation. The guard shack could have a credit card reader to avoid carrying cash. Then if you eat at Quick Service and shop over the value of $20 you can get a refund at the front desk with receipts. Or something along those lines.
It would only need to be the monorail and Epcot resorts doing this, I think the moderates have more parking and less people parking there.

Of course Universal even charge the guests of the hotels for parking, so there must be an easy system of charging non-residents for parking.

By the stores doing the refund against spend it also takes decisions away from the secuirity gate, if you don't have a MagicBand showing you are a resident of that hotel, they charge you and then its up to staff in the hotel to refund.

s8film40

Or charge the same as the theme parks, $20, unless you have a resort reservation. The guard shack could have a credit card reader to avoid carrying cash. Then if you eat at Quick Service and shop over the value of $20 you can get a refund at the front desk with receipts. Or something along those lines.
It would only need to be the monorail and Epcot resorts doing this, I think the moderates have more parking and less people parking there.

Of course Universal even charge the guests of the hotels for parking, so there must be an easy system of charging non-residents for parking.

By the stores doing the refund against spend it also takes decisions away from the secuirity gate, if you don't have a MagicBand showing you are a resident of that hotel, they charge you and then its up to staff in the hotel to refund.
Yeah, what I suggested is what I vaguely remembered from parking at Disneyland hotels. Here is their current policy:
https://disneyland.disney.go.com/guest-services/parking/ said:
Hotel Parking
For an additional fee, the hotels of the Disneyland Resort offer self-park and valet service for registered hotel Guests. Follow the signs directly to your destination; do not park in the theme park lot.

Rates For Hotel Guests

• Self-parking: $18 per night per vehicle
  • Oversized vehicle parking: $23 per night per vehicle
  • Valet parking: $28 per night per vehicle
Rates For Non-Hotel Guests

• Self-parking: $18 for the first hour plus $9 per hour per vehicle, with a maximum rate of $58
  • Oversized vehicle parking: $23 for the first hour plus $9 per hour per vehicle, with a maximum rate of $58
  • Valet parking: $28 for the first hour plus $9 per hour per vehicle, with a maximum rate of $100
Parking availability and prices are subject to change.

Interested in breakfast, lunch or dinner at a Disneyland Resort hotel restaurant, including multiple Character Dining options? Select hotel restaurants—such as Napa Rose—offer parking validation for up to 5 hours at the hotel.

Either of these options would work really well and I hope Disney changes to something like this at some point. These also have the added benefit of eliminating the security positions (which could save Disney some money), all you need is the ticket dispenser at the entrance and a cashier at the exit. Another added benefit for Disney is charging for self parking for hotel guests should they choose to do it discourages people from getting rental cars and having the ability to go off property as well as increases the effective pay rates for valets and in turn the level of service that Disney can get from them.

rucifee

Yeah, what I suggested is what I vaguely remembered from parking at Disneyland hotels. Here is their current policy:

Either of these options would work really well and I hope Disney changes to something like this at some point. These also have the added benefit of eliminating the security positions (which could save Disney some money), all you need is the ticket dispenser at the entrance and a cashier at the exit. Another added benefit for Disney is charging for self parking for hotel guests should they choose to do it discourages people from getting rental cars and having the ability to go off property as well as increases the effective pay rates for valets and in turn the level of service that Disney can get from them.

I don't think they could eliminate the security positions, staffed gates are very good lot theft deterrents.

I wouldn't mind a $20 "charge" that turned into an immediate dining/shopping credit good for the current hotel only.

Edit: I re-read your previous post about validation, that makes sense too.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom