Land Sale November 18

Sea World Orlando could go out of business the way their company is suffering right now because of the blackfish documentary-well that's part of it...and Uni/Comcast could buy SeaWorld...I got this from OrlandoInformer.com

EngineJoe

I can see why universal doesn't want the sand lake road lot. It's too far away from the rest of universal.

Makes it inconvenient for universal as well as guests who want to park hop.

The area above major blvd and Vineland blue makes more sense since it's connected to universal or that high school behind universal.

Mike C

If they were to reaquire the land, a train/transit system would likely be built between the two areas (similar to Hogwarts Express). Make note that the distance is well shorter than the Epcot monorail line and the Wet and Wild property is on the route. The road is called Universal Blvd for a reason.

Ultimately It may wind up being all of Major, Wet n Wild, and this area.

EngineJoe

If they were to reaquire the land, a train/transit system would likely be built between the two areas (similar to Hogwarts Express). Make note that the distance is well shorter than the Epcot monorail line and the Wet and Wild property is on the route. The road is called Universal Blvd for a reason.

Ultimately It may wind up being all of Major, Wet n Wild, and this area.

A monorail/train seems like a pipe dream to Sandlot. Not only would the cost of such a rail line be incredibly expensive but Universal would have to buy out additional land from hotels, stores and residences just to have a pathway from Universal to Sand Lot.

Also the beauty of Disney and the current Universal is that everything is contained within the same property so that you have a captive audience for your restaurants, shops and lodging. Splitting up the park like you suggest makes the non property hotels, shops and restaurants more viable options then the inhouse ones.

Mike C

A monorail/train seems like a pipe dream to Sandlot. Not only would the cost of such a rail line be incredibly expensive but Universal would have to buy out additional land from hotels, stores and residences just to have a pathway from Universal to Sand Lot.

Also the beauty of Disney and the current Universal is that everything is contained within the same property so that you have a captive audience for your restaurants, shops and lodging. Splitting up the park like you suggest makes the non property hotels, shops and restaurants more viable options then the inhouse ones.

I'm not making a suggestion, I'm telling you what is very likely to happen. Easements already exist.

And yes, the old Lockheed property (all of it) is very likely going back into Universal hands.

from: http://www.growthspotter.com/news/i...olony-capital-s-474-acres-20151201-story.html

"Universal Studios Orlando has a contract in place to buy the 474-acre package of 19 parcels owned by Colony Capital on Universal Blvd. with plans to build a new theme park on acreage that lies east of Universal Boulevard and north of Destination Parkway, multiple sources have told GrowthSpotter.

John McReynolds, head of external communications for Universal Orlando and other Universal officials were at Orange County Board of County Commissioners meeting on Tuesday to lobby against the Skyplex Entertainment Complex, which was up for a rezoning decision.

A global marketing campaign with CBRE started Oct. 30 for the land, with a focus to sell it as one package and draw offers of $150 million to $200 million. The property is less than a half mile from the proposed Skyplex complex.

Six sources in Orlando's real estate community told GrowthSpotter that Universal Orlando and parent company Comcast have informed them or county commissioners that they have an option contract in place to buy the 474-acre, 19-parcel package from Colony Capital with plans to close on the purchase as soon as Wednesday or within the next two weeks and build a theme park."

Again, Wet and Wild area (and immediately north of it on i-drive.. There is a reason I fly Orlando is moving), the Sand Lake "complex", and Major are all in play. The next decade will be huge in that entire area.

Last edited:

Mikejakester

it's been a while since I've been this excited... What's funny is, Universal might have this park ready to go before SWL... lol #halfkidding

hopemax

Today was huge news in the Orlando tourism industry. Skyplex was approved. And it was unceremoniously announced that Universal is buying 474 acres of land with 3rd gate intentions.

I don't know what the future will look like, but all of this is really exciting for a theme park fan. Like original Disneyland, or Eisner's development of WDW. To be able to participate in this round, starting with visiting WWoHP the week of its grand opening, through all the new attractions, and to know that at the end will be a third gate...with no current indication that it will follow the path of things like Disney's recent parks and be value engineered... I sort of want to say, "dreams really do come true." Like when your sports team makes a run for it. Even if the pieces don't all work out, you know they really tried to develop a champion, and not be like others where a .500 year in, year out record is "good enough."

BrerJon

Today was huge news in the Orlando tourism industry. Skyplex was approved. And it was unceremoniously announced that Universal is buying 474 acres of land with 3rd gate intentions.

Told you, everybody! I've been saying for years that Universal would eventually get the Lockheed site, and this was where a third gate would be, but hardly anyone else seemed to think it was likely. Feeling very vindicated if this is confirmed.

I don't know why people are talking about monorails or whatever to get to the second resort - the journey time by bus from Animal Kingdom to any of the other parks is much less than this will be, and Universal has been testing themed buses on the Cabana Bay route, so I'm sure they'll run buses, but they won't be plastic paddy wagons like the Disney ones but will instead be nicely themed to make the journey almost a ride in itself, that's my hunch.

Anyway, this is great news, I've been watching that spot for literally years hoping for this to happen.

Oriolesmagic

So this makes SO much more sense in regards to why Universal was fighting the whole Skyplex thing. It's literally RIGHT NEXT to the plot for the new Universal third gate.

EngineJoe

So this makes SO much more sense in regards to why Universal was fighting the whole Skyplex thing. It's literally RIGHT NEXT to the plot for the new Universal third gate.

It's only an option. So they may decide not to purchase because of the Skyplex thing. If anything the Skyplex approval does not favor Universal purchasing that land since they are so against it.

JT3000

Any shot of Universal getting the rights to Middle Earth?

Not unless Disney teaches them how to perform a Jedi mind trick on the Tolkien family.

It's only an option. So they may decide not to purchase because of the Skyplex thing. If anything the Skyplex approval does not favor Universal purchasing that land since they are so against it.

If they want a chance at future expansion, they will swallow their pride. They've already taken one on the chin in a very public manner either way.

matt78

The one article said the people behind Skyplex were looking to the Chinese for investors. I think Universal should change course and invest in it. If its going to be built they may as well try and profit off of it. At the very least they should be able to use this as a way to raise the height restrictions for the new park.

BrerJon

If they want a chance at future expansion, they will swallow their pride. They've already taken one on the chin in a very public manner either way.

"I'd love to go to that amazing richly themed park with incredible rides, but that tower just spoils the view so I'll keep my dollars in my wallet.", said no-one ever.

That land is, Skyplex or not, the single most sensible investment Universal could ever make in Florida. They'd be mad to turn it down.

EngineJoe

"I'd love to go to that amazing richly themed park with incredible rides, but that tower just spoils the view so I'll keep my dollars in my wallet.", said no-one ever.

That land is, Skyplex or not, the single most sensible investment Universal could ever make in Florida. They'd be mad to turn it down.

It was never about the tower, it's about the money citywalk, on park hotels and universal will potentially lose when customers choose to stay and eat outside of universal between universal and the 3rd gate.

EngineJoe

I think it's just a case of being up staged by a huge tower that you can see from a Universal park. Simple as that. I don't think it will really effect much of anything but if you can kill off the project why wouldn't Universal try? I would. I won't want some massive hotel built there either or for that matter a homeless shelter.

But the skyplex is more than just Perkins. The SkyPlaza promenade will have a bunch of retail stores and restaurants as well as the restaurants and clubs on Skyplex. So it is in direct competition with citywalk/universal.

Mikejakester

I think the Skyplex will be a great facelift to the area... some International Drive areas are still kind of trashy. The only thing I am concerned about is traffic. Right now that intersection is a nightmare. I can't imagine how it will be with the SKYPLEX. Im surprised there has not been any light rail conversations surfacing along with the news of the Skyplex and Universal looking at the land at the end of Universal Blvd. I know people are saying "buses" but those same busses can't go over the traffic. That one mile stretch might as well be 10 miles depending on the time of day.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom