Boardwalk or Animal Kingdom?

cursivesailor

Original Poster
This upcoming Halloween is my parents 40th anniversary. They are planning on taking the family to disney. The group consists of a couple in their 60s (my parents), a couple in their 30s (me and the Husby) and a couple in their 20s (lil bro and future fiancé!)

We are gonna rent points thru one of the DVC resale sites. We're debating whether to book three studios at Animal Kingdom Villas or at Boardwalk Villas.

Which do yall prefer? Is the themeing at one better than the other? I think my dad may find AKL boring with all its earth tones. But the animals might be a perk. While the closeness to epcot might be a perk to Boardwalk, since we are going during F&W Fest. But the pictures of the rooms look dated.

Help me out, guys! We need to book soon! Thanks so much in advance!!

DisneyOutsider

I cannot imagine what kind of person would find the theming at AKL to be "boring". To me it's the most impressively themed resort that Disney has to offer, and it's my favorite hotel that I've ever stayed at.

I've stayed at both, and while the Boardwalk is enjoyable, the only thing it really has over AKL is location.

I will say that if you don't plan to spend much time at the resorts but rather touring the parks all day and night, you may want to consider the Boardwalk for its central location.

However, if you plan on having some quality time at the resort, whether it be for a meal or just to relax, AKL is your place.

Innkeeper's Club

I say go with Boardwalk Villas because of the fact you will be there for the Food & Wine, since Epcot is a 5 minute walk away from there. Also their Villas rooms are in the process of being renovated and should be done very soon.

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
I cannot imagine what kind of person would find the theming at AKL to be "boring". To me it's the most impressively themed resort that Disney has to offer, and it's my favorite hotel that I've ever stayed at.

I've stayed at both, and while the Boardwalk is enjoyable, the only thing it really has over AKL is location.

I will say that if you don't plan to spend much time at the resorts but rather touring the parks all day and night, you may want to consider the Boardwalk for its central location.

However, if you plan on having some quality time at the resort, whether it be for a meal or just to relax, AKL is your place.

^^ THIS.

to the OP, if you want convenience to the Food & Wine Fest, by all means, book Boardwalk (Beach Club will likely be too difficult to get). If you want a fully immersive themed resort, then book Animal Kingdom Lodge. However, that one will not be convenient to the F&W Fest. Doesn't mean it's not a fantastic resort experience in its own right.

Last edited:

epcotisbest

For us, having stayed at both, we would return to either in a heartbeat. We won't be going back to F& W ever again, but if it is something you want to do, Boardwalk is the winner easily. AK villas are beautiful, the resort's theme is very well done, but the novelty of animals outside the room wears off in a few days. Being able to walk over to Epcot is a convenience that is hard to beat.

mrs moon

For me def AKL wins ,i recently stayed at BC and it wasn't for me, i found the Boardwalk boring & deserted...,unless you really want to be able to walk to Epcot which for me was only thing going for it...

s&k'smom

If you are going to be spending a lot of time at F&W I agree go with Boardwalk. But if resort quality time is bigger go with AKL.

DisneyPrincess5

In my opinion based on my experience staying at both:
Boardwalk Pros: amazing location, walking/boat transport to Epcot and DHS, great dining within walking distance on the Boardwalk and surrounding resorts, beautiful resort.
Cons: I strongly dislike that there is no dining within the resort so you must go outside with all of the outside guests to eat.

AKL Pros: Absolutely beautiful resort, great dining options including their QS, animals, nice pool, quiet and serene setting.
Cons: We felt a bit like outsiders as we are used to staying close to MK or Epcot. No special transportation for a deluxe.

Seeing that you want to spend time at the F&W fest, seems like Boardwalk would fit your needs best. But either are great choices.

cursivesailor

Original Poster
One other option that is kind of an odd one to consider for us, and its not something I have ever had to think about before when booking for just myself and my husband....

My dad is a recreational smoker and I was curious if anyone could maybe pinpoint if one resort had a more accessible smoking area than the other. As a nonsmoker myself, this isnt something thats ever factored in for me.

Thanks for all the insight into everything yall! I appreciate it.

CaptainAmerica

There are Animal Kingdom Villas in both Kidani and Jambo house. AKL is my favorite resort, but I don't think I'd stay at Kidani due to the lack of QS F&B. I'd personally prioritize 1. Jambo House, 2. Boardwalk, 3. Kidani Village.

One note on your original concern that the Boardwalk looks dated, that's a common complaint about the Boardwalk, Old Key West, and a few others. That's because they're themed to a different time period. So they're dated on purpose essentially.

Now that I mention it, I highly suggest looking into Old Key West for your party configuration. You could stay in a two bedroom villa for MUCH less than what you'd pay for three separate studios, and have more space as well. The OKW 2-bedroom villa is 1,300 square feet versus 400 square feet each for three studios at the Boardwalk.

cursivesailor

Original Poster
Now that I mention it, I highly suggest looking into Old Key West for your party configuration. You could stay in a two bedroom villa for MUCH less than what you'd pay for three separate studios, and have more space as well. The OKW 2-bedroom villa is 1,300 square feet versus 400 square feet each for three studios at the Boardwalk.

We stayed in OKW a long time ago and wanted to try something different. We also debated the whole 3 single rooms vs a 2 bedroom. My husband and I really dont want to share a room with my brother and his girlfriend. Nothing against them, I love them to death but I think I would prefer our own space.

CaptainAmerica

We stayed in OKW a long time ago and wanted to try something different. We also debated the whole 3 single rooms vs a 2 bedroom. My husband and I really dont want to share a room with my brother and his girlfriend. Nothing against them, I love them to death but I think I would prefer our own space.
Makes sense. We're going with a somewhat similar party in January. Late 40s couple, 20s couple with baby, two young adult sisters. We decided on two cabins with my parents and sisters in one and my wife and I in the other with the baby.

yedliW

I say go with Boardwalk Villas because of the fact you will be there for the Food & Wine, since Epcot is a 5 minute walk away from there. Also their Villas rooms are in the process of being renovated and should be done very soon.

You may find it difficult to rent at Boardwalk during F&W unless you are able to rent at the 11 month mark.

We just got back from a stay at AKL, because we couldn't get a spot at Boardwalk at the 7 mo mark. We were looking for a 2br suite, not 3 separate studios. Keep in mind that the 2br suites at Kidani village have 3 full bathrooms (including showers), so it's like having 3 br, with the main living room/kitchen would be the 3rd room.

AKL Pros: Absolutely beautiful resort, great dining options including their QS, animals, nice pool, quiet and serene setting.
Cons: We felt a bit like outsiders as we are used to staying close to MK or Epcot. No special transportation for a deluxe.

Seeing that you want to spend time at the F&W fest, seems like Boardwalk would fit your needs best. But either are great choices.

Keep in mind there is no QS (besides the pool bar) at Kidani.

I really like AKL, as long as you get a room close to the lobby. It can be quite a hike if you get one of the rooms further down the hall.. it is quite long.

One thing to keep in mind with BW, is the boat horns. I haven't stayed there (yet..) but having spoken to people who have, they can go quite late into the night and can be annoying.

Last edited:

cursivesailor

Original Poster
Just found out there are no single rooms available at Boardwalk other than pool view, which we arent interested in paying extra for.

So it looks like its gonna be Animal Kingdom Villas!

DisneyOutsider

Just found out there are no single rooms available at Boardwalk other than pool view, which we arent interested in paying extra for.

So it looks like its gonna be Animal Kingdom Villas!

One quick suggestion to look into... the Disney Swan & Dolphin offers the same basic location and very comparable amenities (minus the Magical Express) for a lower price. The theming, however, will not be Disney-fied.

disneygirl1

We have stayed at both and love each for different reasons. AKL is so serene and peaceful after a long day in the parks. BWV is in the middle of it all. Easy walk to Epcot and HS. Can't beat the convenience of the resort especially if you plan on being there for F & W

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom