Travel between the Poly and Wilderness Lodge

twosiamesecats

Original Poster
We are staying at the Polynesian, and want to eat dinner at the Wilderness Lodge. We don't have a car. What's the best way to get there? Thank you!

Clamman73

You can do a few different ways from just direct taxi cab back and forth, or maybe monorail to MK then take boat over to Wilderness, or a mix. Depends on how much time you want to take in transportation.
Probably a few other ways too.

epcotisbest

1. Take the boat from Poly to MK and then transfer to the boat to WL.
2. Take the monorail from Poly to MK and transfer to either the WL boat or WL bus.
Either of these two options work fine, but, for us option 1 makes for a more enjoyable experience and makes the trip over and back part of the fun of visiting the WL. WCC at the WL is one of our favorites. AP is much more upscale and is very good, but we prefer the fun of WCC, just don't ask for ketchup or let on that you are thirsty.

HouCuseChickie

We've actually had times when the boat to MK wound up being faster than the monorail. It all hinges on where the boat(s) and monorail(s) are at the time.

DisneyJunkie

For sheer enjoyment, I'd go with taking the monorail (or boat) from the Poly to MK and then going over to the boat dock to take the boat directly to WL.

Innkeeper's Club

@ twosiamesecats
Just wanted to add if you take the boat from the Contemporary it also stops at Fort Wilderness, along with stopping at the Wilderness Lodge. Also maybe the hours for it changed but I remember it being from 6:45 AM - 11:30 PM.

ABQ

I'll add my worthless 2 cents to the mix, with regards to monorail to Contemporary and boat launch to WL, the walk from the monorail platform to the Contemporary boat dock is not short. So if time is a factor, boats from the Poly to MK to WL are slightly more efficient, logistically.

Innkeeper's Club

I'll add my worthless 2 cents to the mix, with regards to monorail to Contemporary and boat launch to WL, the walk from the monorail platform to the Contemporary boat dock is not short. So if time is a factor, boats from the Poly to MK to WL are slightly more efficient, logistically.
Honestly I don't think it's that bad or long. Once you get off the Monorail take the elevator to the Contemporary lobby, walk out the doors that goes towards their pool and the boat dock is right there. At the most it's maybe a 2-5 minute walk.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
@ twosiamesecats
Just wanted to add if you take the boat from the Contemporary it also stops at Fort Wilderness, along with stopping at the Wilderness Lodge. Also maybe the hours for it changed but I remember it being from 6:45 AM - 11:30 PM.
There are two docks at the Contemporary; one side goes to Ft. Wilderness and the other to WL. So it is possible to boat directly to WL from the Contemporary, without going to Ft. Wilderness first.
Completely agree with this, @ABQ.

Innkeeper's Club

There are two docks at the Contemporary; one side goes to Ft. Wilderness and the other to WL. So it is possible to boat directly to WL from the Contemporary, without going to Ft. Wilderness first.
I honestly did not know that. The last time I stayed at the Contemporary was in August 2010 and at that time they had one boat that went to the Wilderness Lodge and Fort Wilderness. So that's what I was remembering and I had no idea they know had two different boats that go to each resort.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
I honestly did not know that. The last time I stayed at the Contemporary was in August 2010 and at that time they had one boat that went to the Wilderness Lodge and Fort Wilderness. So that's what I was remembering and I had no idea they know had two different boats that go to each resort.
There are two (or three) resort boats that make the WL > Ft. Wilderness > Contemporary circuit. It has been this way for years. You just need to pay attention when on the dock at each resort which side you need to wait on to get where you want. The boat captains also announce where they are going. There is no need to make an extra stop on your journey unless you want to :happy:.

Innkeeper's Club

There are two (or three) resort boats that make the WL > Ft. Wilderness > Contemporary circuit. It has been this way for years. You just need to pay attention when on the dock at each resort which side you need to wait on to get where you want. The boat captains also announce where they are going. There is no need to make an extra stop on your journey unless you want to :happy:.
Like I said before the last time I stayed there in August 2010 there was one boat and I even remember taking this picture which said it's hours of operation.
IMG_1385.jpg

ABQ

It's the blue flag launch, typically a pair of boats running in opposite directions around discovery island hitting the 3 resorts. In addition to these, the red and green boats, a mix of launches and larger motor cruisers run from WL and FW to MK and back respectively.

slowjoe170

Personally I like the Poly to the Comtemporary idea, but that being said, my wife and I have spent many a night in December waiting on that Contemporary boat dock in the cold, wind and rain for a boat. It doesn't
have a covered shelter like the Poly boat dock, just a couple of umbrellas. If you're coming back from one of the parks and don't need to stop back at your room first, you can also just take the bus from the park to the Wilderness Lodge, then the boat to either MK or the Contemporary afterwards to catch the monorail back to the Poly.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom