Trip Report SLIDE PHOTOS FROM 10/01/1971 NOW PREPARED & READY TO POST

It was a huge undertaking but the feeling of accomplishment is gratifying. I couldn’t have done this without the help of my son, Nick. He provided two fold vision in as much as approach to the problems involved and eyesight. The film cleaner arrived this morning in the mail. The red label on the front reads “Archival Photographic Emulsion Cleaner”. The info on the back of the bottle reads “For Professional Photographic Use Only. Not To Be Sold For Personal, Household Or Family Use”. Our DIL, Amber, arrived late in the afternoon and laughed when I showed her the film cleaner bottle. Amber has a Master’s Degree as an archivist and had just come from an interview for just such a position. She said she was the only one in the room authorized to use the professional cleaner. Amazon sold it to me with the assumption I knew an archivist.

Without further hoo-hah I want to see how these pictures turned out for web viewing. There were some with issue but the majority looked decent for their age.

Below are our ticket books from opening day. Several web resources quote the opening day price for an eleven adventure book @ $5.75. It is plain to see that our eleven adventure book was $3.75. Notice we still have “A” ticket unused. Perhaps I could trade for a fast pass?;)

View attachment 106598

View attachment 106597
This outside Main Entrance. I will avoid comments to speed up the process. Most here will know what is what.:cool:

View attachment 106599
View attachment 106600
View attachment 106601
View attachment 106602

Evidently the “turnip truck” must have just pulled away headed back to Ohio.:geek:
View attachment 106603

View attachment 106604
View attachment 106605

Our first ride of the day. Park has been open for about 30 minutes.
View attachment 106606

Last edited:

BJones82

Thank you so so much for sharing these with us!! It is amazing to think how different it was back then, just 1 gate, closing at 6pm... I just can't imagine lol...

jme

Dear LibTree76,

Thanks for the info on the group of CM from the early years. I would enjoy that but I don’t want to intrude on a special group such as that or just “drop in” unannounced so to speak. Becky has a Face Book account but I don’t. She said it is easy to do.

We were contacted to do a podcast for a Retro Disney website and have agreed to do that in mid-September. I have never done that either but sounds like fun.

As far as using my pictures I have no problem at all. I have shared them for others to enjoy. My son, Nick, is a writer and has published some items and sold a minor screen play. He is a little more cautious about copy write issues. I am fine with sharing my photos with others for their enjoyment but if they are ever used for profit I would likely change my thoughts rather abruptly.

Sounds like you would like your images to be released with a Creative Commons License. There are many, but based on what you've said, this is most likely the right one for you:
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/4.0/

This is a good tool: http://creativecommons.org/choose/ to show you the different options and how to attribute your license to the images.

SleepyPuppy

Original Poster
Thanks jme. I will look into this. It just seems a shame that one has to CYA but I am reminded of Walt Disney when he lost the rights to Oswald, I believe. That changed his perception of every thought he had commercially from thence forward.

SleepyPuppy

Original Poster
So the CR wasn't open on opening day?! I was always under the impression that the Poly and CR were open whent he MK opened...

There seems to be some debate over the CR open or not. Everything I can resource from the internet indicates open 10/01/1971. When we boarded to monorail for the MK we were given an announcement to the purpose of telling us the monorail would NOT go through the concourse of the CR due to construction. The monorail went back and forth from T&T to MK passing the Poly each direction. I have photos that show four large construction cranes surrounding the CR. I have even emailed the archivist emeritus of Disney to ask if the CR was open for occupancy on 10/01/1971; no response as of now. Maybe it opened that evening or was even open earlier. I don’t know because we never got closer than the photos show. Someone has the answer and if we keep asking we may find out. I guess it is of little importance because it was definitely open for the Grand Opening on 10/25/1971.

SleepyPuppy

Original Poster
Dear Valued Members of the WDWMAGIC forum,

I have decided to remove my pictures from my posts on the Forum. This is based on sound legal advice once I was informed that, what are precious memories to me, have been used by others who are misrepresenting the origin of the photographs. Once I have processed the pictures with a means of protecting my copyrights and my family’s Disney legacy, I will happily return all of them to these forums.

I am also asking for any help should you recognize any of my photos elsewhere on the internet. Please pass along that information as some of you have thankfully done already.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

George & Becky

LibTree76

There seems to be some debate over the CR open or not. Everything I can resource from the internet indicates open 10/01/1971. When we boarded to monorail for the MK we were given an announcement to the purpose of telling us the monorail would NOT go through the concourse of the CR due to construction. The monorail went back and forth from T&T to MK passing the Poly each direction. I have photos that show four large construction cranes surrounding the CR. I have even emailed the archivist emeritus of Disney to ask if the CR was open for occupancy on 10/01/1971; no response as of now. Maybe it opened that evening or was even open earlier. I don’t know because we never got closer than the photos show. Someone has the answer and if we keep asking we may find out. I guess it is of little importance because it was definitely open for the Grand Opening on 10/25/1971.
Sleepy -- One of the members of the “We Worked at Disney World in the 70's” worked at the Contemporary Hotel during this time frame and gave us this summary.

I was working at the CRH as of August of 1971. I was a Lodging Host, and had been hired in June of 1971. The A-frame bldg and South wing were opened, but not to the public. Disney VIP's and sponsors were the only people allowed to use the hotel at that time. The Magic Kingdom actually opened for the first time in mid-September 1971, for special guests only, of which I was able to be a part of that day. I had worked construction in the park for Joe Fowler and Buena Vista Construction, and received my invitation directly from his office.

Here is his picture/video of he made during the Sept. 1971 special guest preview. Enjoy.

I am really looking forward to re-visiting your pictures when they return to the site. Thanks.

Kathy G

I can vouch that it was quiet on October 1, 1971....I was there too, as an out-of-state tourist. I stayed at the Hilton Inn at the Airport (could not get in to the Contemporary Hotel - sold out), had a rental car, and drove to the park October 1st. I was amazed at how "open" the roads were, miles of trees and open land, and no huge billboards. I remember commenting to a "cast-member" (or whatever term was used at the time) at the lack of crowds; the person indicated it was planned that way - midweek - almost like a soft opening, so the "cast-members" would have a few days inter-acting with folks before the onslaught of the weekend. The Polynesian Hotel was not even yet open....went by it on the monorail, and there was still white tape on some of the windows. I have a total of 4 pix of that day at the Magic Kingdom (in a memories scrapbook I put together a few years later), although I know I took more pictures than that. I moved to another state within a month of the opening, and over the years of further moves and getting married, photos from that far back have long since been lost.,,,a real shame. Thanks for bringing back the memories.

Figgy1

Premium Member

I have decided to remove my pictures from my posts on the Forum. This is based on sound legal advice once I was informed that, what are precious memories to me, have been used by others who are misrepresenting the origin of the photographs. Once I have processed the pictures with a means of protecting my copyrights and my family’s Disney legacy, I will happily return all of them to these forums.

I am also asking for any help should you recognize any of my photos elsewhere on the internet. Please pass along that information as some of you have thankfully done already.

George & Becky
Sympathy like

LibTree76

Sleepy -- One of the members of the “We Worked at Disney World in the 70's” worked at the Contemporary Hotel during this time frame and gave us this summary.

I was working at the CRH as of August of 1971. I was a Lodging Host, and had been hired in June of 1971. The A-frame bldg and South wing were opened, but not to the public. Disney VIP's and sponsors were the only people allowed to use the hotel at that time. The Magic Kingdom actually opened for the first time in mid-September 1971, for special guests only, of which I was able to be a part of that day. I had worked construction in the park for Joe Fowler and Buena Vista Construction, and received my invitation directly from his office.

Here is his picture/video of he made during the Sept. 1971 special guest preview. Enjoy.

I am really looking forward to re-visiting your pictures when they return to the site. Thanks.

LibTree76

A very interesting discussion between cast members who worked the opening days of the Contemporary Resort is in progress on the "We worked at Disney World in the 70's Group" on Facebook. This is a group that is open to the public so you should be able to see what is being written and posted. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1206570976035312&set=gm.1063659290320466&type=1&theater.

Included in discussion already:
  • Opening dates of different parts of the Contemporary
  • Naming of celebrities who where staying there and how they behaved
  • Drawing of room layouts
  • Names of WDW Corporate sponsors and the rooms they were assigned
  • Initial room prices
  • A letter that was given to the construction crew inviting them to a pre-opening
  • What is was like to work there in the early days
Enjoy

Isla's Mom

George & Becky
Thank you so much for sharing them ! I really enjoyed seeing them! Our first visit was in 1977 and your photos brought back so many memories! Thanks again!

drken93

Hey Everone- Love this thread-BUT>>>>>>>> Am I the only one who can't seem to see nor open the attached photos on the first page? tried 2 different PC's.

HELP!!
( yes, I am logged in)

drken93

Ok- I just read the whole TR- Seems someone thinks their photos are not worth sharing with out some sort of copywrite on them. I couldn't tell you if I saw your pictures on the internet, since I don't know what they look like. Look , I get it, others are making MILLIONS off your photo's--- NOT. Your legal advise is a bit over kill, but they are your pictures of the past and that is where they will stay, in the past. The rest of us will " Keep Moving Forward". Sorry I couldn't see those Pictures before you pulled them off the TR- I am a true Disney world fan, and was there since it opened, but too young to take and keep pictures then. I have many now to look back on. I remember staying at CBR the week it opened, I should have taken more pics.

"A little consideration, a little thought for others, makes all the difference." -- Eeyore (Winnie the Pooh)

JLM71WDW71

Hey Everone- Love this thread-BUT>>>>>>>> Am I the only one who can't seem to see nor open the attached photos on the first page? tried 2 different PC's.

HELP!!
( yes, I am logged in)

You are not alone: I can't see/open them either. But I'm imagining how wonderful they are!

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom