The Walt Disney Signature Collection coming to Blu-ray

DisneyManOne

Original Poster
Well, it's official. Disney is going to start marketing their newest Blu-ray collection next spring. It's called the Walt Disney Signature Collection.

The first film in the collection is, of course, going to be Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, and it's set to be released in Spring of 2016.
1.jpg
I'm honestly excited for this; because given that they're gonna be marked with Walt's signature (hence the "Signature Collection" name), it's probably gonna consist only of films produced by Walt while he was still alive. So, I'm sure we'll see Snow White, Pinocchio, Dumbo, Fantasia, Bambi, Cinderella, Alice in Wonderland, Peter Pan, Lady and the Tramp, Sleeping Beauty, 101 Dalmatians, The Sword in the Stone, The Jungle Book and The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh (it was partially produced by Walt) somewhere in the line-up.

And who knows? Maybe they'll have some live-action films in there like Mary Poppins or Old Yeller or Swiss Family Robinson or...maybe even Song of the South. I mean, if the line will solely feature films produced during Walt's time, I'm sure Disney could use this as an opportunity to finally bring Song of the South to home video.

Anyways, I'm real excited for this new line. I'm sure it'll please Disney fans everywhere.

prberk

Good to see they are likely to be re-releasing some classics produced by Walt. Until they announce them, though, I would not be so sure that they would include lesser-known ones (like The Sword in the Stone) or live-action or more recently-released ones, nor especially Song of the South. I do hope that, whatever is in the collection, each one includes a rich amount of special features.

I do know that the most recent prior release of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs included a very, very rich amount of special features, hosted by Roy. Did you see that one, @DisneyManOne ? It is valuable now if you have it. One of the best-done discs ever, at the time.

By the way, I do wish that they would put some of these, especially Snow White, out at the theatres first (and I mean in wide distribution, with promotion), like they did for so many years. Each generation should have the opportunity to see the classics on the big screen. They could do that, and the promotion for it would have lingeriing effect that would also boost disc sales.

Last edited:

ShoalFox

In the Parks
Yes
Unless there's a ton of special features or the picture quality is significantly higher than Diamond editions, I see no reason for owners of Diamond Editions to upgrade.

DisneyManOne

Original Poster
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, the first film in the collection, has just been released digitally. The Blu-ray/DVD is scheduled to be released February 24th.
latest

ForeverAnna

Anyone know if the discs have additional special features not available with the digital version? I already have the Diamond edition so unless there are extra features on the discs I really only want the digital.

mf1972

anyone remember the Walt Disney treasures? collections of cartoon shorts, Davey Crocket, etc? I would love to see those get the Blu Ray treatment. ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom