Complaining About Disney While Being There

Any amusing Disney complaints while at WDW that sounds so stupid it ends up being funny?
One time when I was young, my mom invited one of my aunts to WDW for the first time and we were in MK for the day and she was just complaning how she couldn't get drunk to "make the trip bearable" and she just kept whining about the lack of alcohol. When we visited Epcot my mom got fed up with her and snapped that if she wanted to get drunk she should just do it in Epcot.

My aunt just gave my mom a look and said "ew I'm not some trashy who needs to get drunk on vacation!" Then proceeded to continue complaing about alcohol. Needless to say when hasn't joined us on vacation since then.

WillCAD

Been there, done that, probably going back.

But I do have sympathy for some of those folks when I, a 25-year WDW veteran, moderator on two WDW message boards, can't get a res to 'Ohana (at 180 days) or get my rotating 4th FP at the kiosks (darn thing just wouldn't give me the option, it just kept showing my three advance selections, all of which were used or expired by at least an hour).

At least I got an ADR for BoG lunch. And one of the first few days of Sci-Fi breakfast!

blueboxdoctor

That guy sounds like he doesn't want to be there at all. We always take a little break in the afternoon or at least have a resting time in the park. There aren't any children in our group, but it's still a very long day without a break.

And I also never understood the issue with the food prices. Yeah, it's not going to be cheap, but what do people expect? It is pretty much in line with everything else there in terms of price. Plus, can't you look that sort of stuff up online before going to the parks?

Now, I can see complaining about the wi-fi, which at times is less than reliable, but come on, even then it's not much to complain about.

I have criticisms of the park but really, I don't find a need to bring them up while I'm there. Nothing really ruins my experience that much.

mitchk

People that constantly complain feel the need of entitlement, that everything has to go their way or it's ruined. That can be annoying after a while.

I think it's more or less people that feel that entitlement are the ones who have gone to Disney World for the past 15 or so years and watched how the prices have skyrocketed, while the quality has gone way down. I understand they're on their way to fixing that with the new expansions and everything, but from 2001 till 2015 the place is almost a shell of what it used to be, with the exception of the fantasy land expansion

Incomudro

Some people don't want to believe that there is a technique for doing Disney, and that following it can have a huge difference in the experience they take away.
I know, that it kind of stinks to believe one needs to employ a strategy on their vacation - but with Disney it's necessary.
Truth is, it's necessary for just about any experience that puts one amogst crowds - from museums, to a trip tho a zoo, beach etc...
Get there when it opens. That's my no. 1 WDW tip.
Fastpass the big rides. If you get there when it opens, you can probably use that fastpass for your second, maybe even third ride.
Another big one I tell people:
If you can go in an off season, before or after it's too hot and too crowded - it'll make your trip entirely different.
Short lines, or even walk ons - when the park is not crowded and hot - is an entirely different thing than standing on loooong lines in a hot and crowded park.

Last edited:

Allym146

I would quit responding to his texts until he returns. "Sorry, My phone died." My patience for annoying people has withered away to nothing lately.

Victor Kelly

My friends are Disney park goers and we help each other plan. Every time one of us comes back we give our trip reports and reviews to each other. And discuss it for months.

wdwjmp239

Can I just share some frustration? I have the misfortune of being the resident Disney "expert" despite not wanting to give any Disney advice. Unfortunately, people at work use me for information and then fail to follow any of my advice. Sometimes, you are pressured into helping people due to workplace politics, bosses, boss's boss, etc. You know what I mean. You tell them how to do things and then they'll completely ignore it and tell you how they had a bad time....

Let me share in some of the frustration that I've experienced. Like you, I have given tips and tricks to a nice enjoyable weekend at Disney. It's already in the person's programming that they're going to have a miserable time and blame you for everything!

A lady I work with (almost the same experience as you) wanted to bring her grand-kids to Disney (ages 12 and 14) for a weekend. From the time they got there to the time they checked out and got home, it was non-stop complaining about how the lines were long, the weather was hot, and everything was expensive to which I answered....

"In regards to how long the lines were - you went during the 4th of July weekend. In regards to the heat, did you forget you live in Florida? And in regards to how expensive everything at Disney is - did you even budget yourself for this trip?"

She never asked for Disney advice again. ;)

tglancy

Since I am a bit of an introvert, I never have to give advice or anything like that. I will say that, when I read the topic, I thought this would be about hearing people complain while they are at Disney. I hate that. Everyday at the end of the day, people complaining about the wait, or the money, or the food, or this that and the other. It's Disney. It's busy, it's hot, it's expensive and if you eat nothing by QS the food can be a little sub par. This is all stuff you should know before you go! If you can't afford to go and ball out of control, go with a budget. But don't spend the whole time complaining about not being able to afford anything!!

rucifee

Can I just share some frustration?

I have the misfortune of being the resident Disney "expert" despite not wanting to give any Disney advice. Unfortunately, people at work use me for information and then fail to follow any of my advice.

Sometimes, you are pressured into helping people due to workplace politics, bosses, boss's boss, etc. You know what I mean. You tell them how to do things and then they'll completely ignore it and tell you how they had a bad time.

It's his family's first time at WDW and he appears dead set on having a bad time. I keep getting text updates on how much Disney isn't handling things correctly WHILE he's at Disney.

1) Dining Reservation wasn't right, "wasting" his fast passes due to waiting at the restaurant. My response: "Explain your situation and you can get replacement fast passes at Guest Services. "
His response: "They already wasted my time and Fast Passes are not good for kids at 8pm!"

Me: "Uhm, don't you take a nap in the afternoon so your kids can enjoy nighttime activities, or are you just done at 6pm every day?"
That's unfortunate bc you miss a lot by not going at night. Furthermore, I've gotten "any time" use fast passes multiple times. Disney will take care of you if they ask.
Him: "Kids don't work that way!"

2) "Driving in is a pain. "
Me: "Why are you driving in when you're staying at a Disney resort?"
Him: "We want the convenience."
Me: "Sigh"

3) Him: "Everything is expensive."
Me: Didn't say this, but I was thinking everything was paid for prior to the trip besides food. Did you think you'd get a $5 meal? I don't get the expectations. Coke is going to cost $2.75. What's the big deal?

I'm just like, dude...all the money you spent, just have a good time and if something goes wrong, just get it corrected.

Some people want to make it out that one dining screw up can ruin a trip.

This is sadly what happens when you set people's expectations falsely. You can't expect anyone else to vacation as you do, as soon as you do and you set them up to vacation the way you personally vacation, you've set them up to have a bad time.

Your friend is not wrong, you're looking at it wrong. Your friend should not have to go to guest services for any reason, they aren't there to hand out free fast passes. If your friend wants convenience of a car, give them advice on how to best use the car. If your friend thinks everything is expensive, you haven't set their expectations. Excusing their bad time with "What's the big deal?" is kind of mean actually.

Being the "resident Disney expert" is not a simple task, it requires tailoring advice to others rather than tailoring others to your personal preferences.

I normally start by setting their expectations and lead into finding out what their desires are and tailoring the advice for that.

1. Disney is expensive.
2. The parks are always crowded
3. Plan lots of time for dining and transportation
4. Do lots of research and plan, do not strictly plan around my advice
5. Now tell me what do *YOU* want to do?

Raineman

Some people don't want to believe that there is a technique for doing Disney, and that following it can have a huge difference in the experience they take away.
I know, that it kind of stinks to believe one needs to employ a strategy on their vacation - but with Disney it's necessary.
Truth is, it's necessary for just about any experience that puts one amogst crowds - from museums, to a trip tho a zoo, beach etc...
Get there when it opens. That's my no. 1 WDW tip.
Fastpass the big rides. If you get there when it opens, you can probably use that fastpass for your second, maybe even third ride.
Another big one I tell people:
If you can go in an off season, before or after it's too hot and too crowded - it'll make your trip entirely different.
Short lines, or even walk ons - when the park is not crowded and hot - is an entirely different thing than standing on loooong lines in a hot and crowded park.
It is unbelievable to me, in this day and age, with so much information readily available online, that people expect WDW to be like your average, run-of-the-mill amusement park, where you can get on any ride you want, when you want, get into any restaurant whenever you want, etc. If people have a bad trip because they didn't take the time to research and plan their trip to WDW, that is all on them. Whether people like to admit it or not, WDW is a theme park resort that requires a significant level of planning. If you want to freewheel it, WDW is not the place for you. Fortunately, I happen to quite like the planning aspect of our trips to WDW :)

rucifee

It is unbelievable to me, in this day and age, with so much information readily available online, that people expect WDW to be like your average, run-of-the-mill amusement park, where you can get on any ride you want, when you want, get into any restaurant whenever you want, etc. If people have a bad trip because they didn't take the time to research and plan their trip to WDW, that is all on them. Whether people like to admit it or not, WDW is a theme park resort that requires a significant level of planning. If you want to freewheel it, WDW is not the place for you. Fortunately, I happen to quite like the planning aspect of our trips to WDW :)

That's not how Disney advertises it though. In one of their recent commercials, they depict someone getting an ADR for I believe it was Cinderella's Royal Table as they check into their hotel. Anyone who's been to Disney in the last few years knows that's simply not possible.

Incomudro

Honestly, you can't do that - that is ride any ride you want, when you want, or get in any restaurant where and when you want practically anywhere.
I don't know why people would expect to in WDW.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
That's not how Disney advertises it though. In one of their recent commercials, they depict someone getting an ADR for I believe it was Cinderella's Royal Table as they check into their hotel. Anyone who's been to Disney in the last few years knows that's simply not possible.
Actually, it was for 1900 Park Fare, which is not unreasonable at all. I just checked and a family of 4 can get a dinner reservation there for 7:30PM tomorrow. So the commercial is not at all lying.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom