Trip Report It's Not Minneapolis Hubby, it's WDW! November 2015 & lots of pictures!

Hi all! This is my first trip report so I will explain the title first....

My husband and I always spend a weekend in November in the Twin Cities (Minneapolis/St.Paul Minnesota). But we have annual passes this year for WDW and Disneyland, so I decided to surprise my husband with a trip to WDW. I let him think for about three months that we were doing our traditional weekend. We planned activities, like a show (that I told him I would take care of getting the tickets), and places to eat, but all along I had already booked WDW. I even made him watch episodes of the Chew to see the Food and Wine festival stuff, and given him a "guilt trip" because I wouldn't be able to see the Osborne Lights one last time. My husband is a pastor so I had to watch his schedule pretty close in case something like a funeral came along (which one did), but he had already arranged the Sunday off for Minneapolis so I didn't have to worry about that.

So, my original plan was to tell him the night before we left. But I soon realized that he would need more time to prepare. The week that we were to leave, a lady in my congregation that my husband was quite close to lost her battle with cancer. The funeral was on the Tuesday before we left, so I decided that I would tell him about the surprise trip that night, so he could prepare and it would be a nice relief from the grief he was feeling. Well, hubby came home and I let him settled and he was cruisin' facebook and casually I asked him if he wanted to ride any rides this weekend. He of course is thinking I want to go on rides at the Mall of America said no.
So I asked, "Really not even Big Thunder Mountain?"
Hubby: "No, we aren't going to WDW."
Me: "Oh, that's too bad because I have a fast pass for Big Thunder on Friday."
Hubby (starting to stare at me in confusion): "But we aren't going to WDW. Are we?!?!"

From there I confirmed that we were going to WDW on Friday-Monday and he eventually cleared out the confusion cobwebs and got super excited. He started packing that night! The next morning he still couldn't believe I had "tricked" him for months.

So, Thursday rolls around and we both anxiously make our way through the work day. And we do spend the night in Bloomington MN (near the Minneapolis airport) so we can catch our early flight Friday morning. We did go to the Mall of America and had a tasty meal at Buffalo Wild Wings and watched the Minnesota Wild play on tv.

Here are some pictures from Friday morning.
Breakfast at the airport: pumpkin bread and a Caribou Coffee mocha
IMG_0947.JPG

Ready for takeoff
IMG_0948.JPG

Leaving Minneapolis behind
IMG_0949.JPG

Arrival at WDW!
IMG_0951.JPG

Arrival at the Swan hotel. Our first time here. The staff was very friendly and we loved staying here. It was a deluxe hotel at moderate prices. We never felt like we weren't at a "Disney" hotel.
IMG_2631.JPG

IMG_2635.JPG

At the Magic Kingdom

IMG_2649.JPG
IMG_2653.JPG

Since we arrived on Friday the 13th, they were still filming some Christmas parade stuff. Interesting to see and it didn't impact the flow at the MK too much.

IMG_2667.JPG
IMG_2669.JPG

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Thank you for all the gorgeous pictures! By the way, there were a couple of photos, (in the middle of all the beautiful Christmas themed ones), that also caught eye for a different reason. I really liked the photos of the inside of the train station's waiting area. People usually just breeze through there, and enter a queue, waiting for the next train. However, seeing it in a different light (without a crowd in there), showed how attractive (in a far more subtle way) that area is. Perhaps it was the contrast to all other other colorful pictures, that made the train station pictures stand out a bit more to me.

Anyway, loved all your pictures and commentary. For those of us who have never been to Disney around the holidays, it was a real treat to experience WDW, via your pictures! :happy:

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Bravo for your first trip report! You've inspired me to attempt one for my January solo trip. :)

I will look forward to your trip report. I have liked the pictures you've posted of Disneyland lately. Gets me excited for my trip!

Thank you for all the gorgeous pictures! By the way, there were a couple of photos, (in the middle of all the beautiful Christmas themed ones), that also caught eye for a different reason. I really liked the photos of the inside of the train station's waiting area. People usually just breeze through there, and enter a queue, waiting for the next train. However, seeing it in a different light (without a crowd in there), showed how attractive (in a far more subtle way) that area is. Perhaps it was the contrast to all other other colorful pictures, that made the train station pictures stand out a bit more to me.

Anyway, loved all your pictures and commentary. For those of us who have never been to Disney around the holidays, it was a real treat to experience WDW, via your pictures! :happy:

Thanks Minnie! I'm glad you have enjoyed my pictures. With your love of cooler weather, you really should try to go sometime during the holidays, it is lovely. I really liked having the train station empty too, it surprised me that it was open since the train was down for refurbishment. But there are some nice details, and it was nice to see some of the penny arcade games there even though I didn't have time to see if they were working.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom