The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Goofyernmost

I think we will have to agree to disagree. Of the people I know that have participated in these runs do value the medals they earn. I concede you might also know people who do believe the medals are that but a momento. As my Dad's times improved he cared a great deal about the metals he received. He did not win his age category when he qualified for Boston in the Chicago Marathon he still is proud of his medal that he believes he earned garnering a qualifying time for Boston. Same goes for Boston, he didn't win but he requalified for Boston. Maybe this is the rub, some serious runners view the medals as accomplishments and others view them as mere momentos. Neither view is wrong just very different perspectives on competitive sports.
No, you are confusing a world class marathon like the Boston Marathon with Disney. I feel that even if someone is to win the marathon at Disney it has some real value both in pride and accomplishment. However, the medals I am talking about are the ones that are passed out as participants. Those have not much more then momento value. That is the medal that the big winners are complaining about and it is like comparing donuts to bagels, they may outwardly look the same from a distance, but, they are not even close to being the same thing. They offer no threat to the serious runner, they offer no recognition other then participating and are usually only impressive to the holder and no one else. At Disney it may signify a tremendous accomplishment for that individual person, but, holds no impressive nature to anyone else except a handful of relatives.

It did manage to possibly do a world of good and instill a modicum of happiness to a person whose self image is in dire need of lifting. This isn't a kiddie accomplishment it is a beat up adult accomplishment and there is no better place on the planet to get that then at the "fun" runs (or walks) that Disney provides. It really escapes me how anyone would want to deprive people of that chance for rebirth when it does nothing to lesson the accomplishments of those that ran the full or half and accomplished something way out of reach of those that got their rubber medal saying that, at least they tried.

You seem to think that I am belittling the accomplishment of your Father. Nothing could be further from the truth. What he did at his age is phenomenal and worthy of all the accolades that can be found. That said, if someone at the end of the line walked across the finish line a number of hours after he did that wouldn't take anything away from his accomplishments would it? Can you name anyone other then him that you can even remember their name even if they came in second? Of course not. That is why I feel it is a non-issue, it does no one any harm and helps many. That to me is the purpose of Disney and the reason that they can continue to get away with high prices and money making schemes they are in the business of making people happy.

Last edited:

French Quarter

That is one of the reasons why I have been so insistent on the idea that the whole argument is totally without merit and the only reason they have a problem is because any of those that have entered receive a "I participated in" medal (made out of molded rubber) and somehow that lessons whatever accomplishments that they have achieved. It is petty and totally without any concern about someone else and the positive result, for them, of that participation. It really is a non-issue.

I thought these races were about personal bests and so on. I'm with you. Not sure why anyone would care what recognition others receive.

French Quarter

Oh it's probably just me. I just don't like it...and part of it is also that in the Bible story, there are the wisemen and the shepherds, but no drummer boy, so it's also not historically accurate. That song just bothers me. Do you hear what I hear isn't creepy...I just don't like it.

You are letting the facts get in the way. ;) The Wise Men also didn't come at Christmas nor are they called Wise Men but no one is bothered by that.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
You are letting the facts get in the way. ;) The Wise Men also didn't come at Christmas nor are they called Wise Men but no one is bothered by that.

Kind of related, last year hubby and I went looking at lights and a house had a nativity set up outside and as the Nativity story goes the Wise Men/3 Kings came from the East. Well, these Wise Men were coming from the West. It made me giggle a little.

Cesar R M

rottenecard_94635067_c679d2zg8g.png
reminds me about that joke.. where you do not have to run at max speed.. just faster than than the slowest dude.

donaldtoo

Ha! You rascal, you!! :p (Side note: You'll appreciate this -- at the huge Thanksgiving buffet we attended yesterday, I had brought with me some baggies and an almost empty purse, for extra space. So I heaped up my dessert plate and went back to our table. Then somehow o_O , a few of the desserts ended up in the baggies . . . in my purse . . . and one of them was a big piece of pecan pie!!!) :hungry: :hungry: :D I'll be eating that delicious piece of pie later on today!! :hungry:

:hilarious:

Just so you know, that was a pic from the interwebs. I can still save and paste images from the Internet, but, I have no storage left to take pics on my phone. :)

betty rose

Yes, I can understand. I hear a lot of people say that cable is expensive but for some reason, it isn't for us. We have it bundled with our phone and Internet. It literally costs $10 a month for a few hundred channels and it came with a PVR. We weren't going to get cable because everyone said it was costly but it seemed like too good of a deal to pass up. Maybe it was a promotion though and in a few years it might go up. I don't remember. If it does we will reevaluate.
We spend over 100.00 US. dollars a month to bundle. I want to break things up to save money, hubby doesn't want the extra trouble. I would love to save money. Hubby wants the easy way. He wins, as he made the money by working.

betty rose

He told me to lose weight. He suggested a method. There are so many free resources to accomplish that goal, and I have access to even more through school (including a nutritionist) that I do not see the need. Seeing as how I've lost 10 pounds since I've seen him (and that is with having surgery), I think I'm doing just fine on my own. As for your comparison about medications, I've had my doctor switch my meds before due to price. If the result is the same, there is no harm in switching to something less expensive. My thoughts are the same on weight loss: why spend the money on something that I might not use or might not work for me? I'd be open to it if I really got stuck, but for now I'd rather not spend money where I don't have to.
Congrats on losing 10 pounds. It's so hard to do that. I know, I've gained 15 pounds over the last 6 month's. I'm going on a nutria system diet, again after Jan. 1. It's not possible now, with Christmas coming. Every year it's the same thing....I wish I could learn...but I don't seem too.

betty rose

Just finished eating! They were OK. I'm sure yours were much better. :D

I used corn tortillas and they kept falling apart when I cooked them in the oil. I think I needed to cook them longer, but then I was worried they'd get too chewy. Maybe next time they'll be better. I'm just a novice cook. :)
We all start out somewhere. I started with hot dogs and cheese, and chili. You are way ahead of me. Mine were awful.:hungover:

betty rose

I don't think it's so much a lack of patience; I think it's the feeling of helplessness when faced with a medical situation, that you have no control over. With many problems in life, most of us can figure out a work-around to help ourselves to navigate through the situation. Yet, the problem with a medical issue is that we're not doctors, and we don't have a clue what is considered natural healing, versus what could constitute an emergency. Everything that seems out of the ordinary to us in the healing process, is just terrifying as it unfolds. You're far from alone in your post-operative reaction.
Your words are from a very advanced wisdom. I thank you for these words. When hubby fell over with no advanced warning, and fell on a hard tile floor, I was terrified. I actually asked him if he was dead. Stupid, I know. Panic sets in very quickly. I saw he was alive, and got him up and to the emergency room. He had a George W. Bush moment, and chocked on a chip, that I didn't see him eating. It has left me with a cautious attitude issue. My SIL just chocked to death, and was only 72, not much older than me and sis. I now take very small bites of food, and swallow slowly. As I mentioned before, since my para thyroid surgery, I have trouble swallowing, and have chocked on numerous occasions . Now, it takes me an hour to eat a small amount of food!;)

betty rose

@ajrwdwgirl , seeing that picture of the both of you on the carousel reminded me of how much I enjoy that ride--or any carousel anywhere. It's one of the oldest, tamest rides, and yet--always one of my favorites. :inlove: The paint job on the horses is beautiful, too. (I always run fast to find the prettiest horse to ride!!) They really keep up that carousel.
I love the carousel, it has always been my favorite in Magic Kingdom. It's so hard to pick the horse, as I think they are all beautiful!

catmom46

Your words are from a very advanced wisdom. I thank you for these words. When hubby fell over with no advanced warning, and fell on a hard tile floor, I was terrified. I actually asked him if he was dead. Stupid, I know. Panic sets in very quickly. I saw he was alive, and got him up and to the emergency room. He had a George W. Bush moment, and chocked on a chip, that I didn't see him eating. It has left me with a cautious attitude issue. My SIL just chocked to death, and was only 72, not much older than me and sis. I now take very small bites of food, and swallow slowly. As I mentioned before, since my para thyroid surgery, I have trouble swallowing, and have chocked on numerous occasions . Now, it takes me an hour to eat a small amount of food!;)

Eating slowly is better for your digestive system anyway, but what a frightening way to learn that lesson!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom