How Much $ to Prepare for Tolls?

DisneyPrincess5

Original Poster
Hi all,

We will be traveling to WDW in March and never ever can we remember how many tolls there are or how many quarters to set aside. We arrive at MCO and take I-4.

Thanks!

G00fyDad

You'll be fine with just a few dollars. It will cost you around $2.25 each way to and from MCO. There is a toll at the 10 mile ($1.25) and 6 mile ($1.00) marker on SR-528.

WillCAD

I like to pack a roll of quarters in my carry-on and keep it in my rental car's center console throughout my trip, to cover any tolls I might encounter. Having quarters is convenient when there are automated exact-change lanes at the toll plaza. Usually I only need them for the tolls to and from MCO, but once in a while I take a toll road to get somewhere else.

I prefer to take the South Exit from MCO, and take SR417 (the Central Florida Greenway) to WDW. Tolls on SR417 each way are $2.50 (2x$1.25). I find 417 to have less traffic than the Beachline, and it gets me to WDW faster. Take Exit 6, which puts you onto World Center Drive and sends you directly into the heart of WDW property in the Epcot area. Once inside WDW, World Center Drive changes names and becomes Epcot Center Drive. It crosses Buena Vista Drive, giving you easy access to the Epcot, AK, and DTD area resorts, and it dead-ends at World Drive, giving you access to the MK area resorts.

If you need to make a grocery stop on your way from WDW, there are several options:
1) Get off at Exit 11; there is a Super Target on the south side of the highway (turn right at the end of the exit ramp).
2) When you get off of 417 at Exit 6, hang a left at the first big intersection, SR535. There is a Walmart supercenter about 2 miles down on the right, and a Publix about a mile further on the left.
3) When you get off of 417 at Exit 6, hang a right at SR535 and this will take you to the Crossroads shopping center, where you can pay way too much at Goodings.

G00fyDad

We actually bought a SunPass transponder that does not expire. I put $25 on it and every trip I just make sure I have enough in there to cover the tolls that we might come in contact with. All I have to do is call SunPass and have them update the rental car information.

Rob562

As a side note, apparently they're aiming for SunPass and EZ Pass will work on each others roads within the next year or so.

-Rob

Pghdrumr

The best Gas Station is Speedway off exit 11 if you need to fill the tank of your rental car before heading back to MCO. Low price, and convenient, right in front of the Target.

DHoy

As a side note, apparently they're aiming for SunPass and EZ Pass will work on each others roads within the next year or so.

-Rob
Sun pass has interfaces with EZ pass for at least 3 years when I lived there 2012 it interfaces every time.

Raineman

You'll be fine with just a few dollars. It will cost you around $2.25 each way to and from MCO. There is a toll at the 10 mile ($1.25) and 6 mile ($1.00) marker on SR-528.
Would we be looking at a similar amount if we took SR429 from the turnpike? I've been told that this the best route to take when coming from the north, as it eliminates dealing with I4 traffic.

WillCAD

Would we be looking at a similar amount if we took SR429 from the turnpike? I've been told that this the best route to take when coming from the north, as it eliminates dealing with I4 traffic.

It's cheaper. Out of curiosity, I used Google Maps to follow SR429 from the Turnpike to Western Way, and saw only a single toll plaza with a $1.50 toll, at Mile 17. The only other toll plaza I saw was at Mile 7, which is past Western Way, before SR429 hits US192. There are tolls at many of the on- and off-ramps, but not at the Western Way interchange.

HINT: Get your camera ready as you're getting onto the Western Way ramp; it's only about 1/2 mile to the WDW gateway sign. No stopping for pictures, but if you have your camera ready you can get a good one through the windshield.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom