News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

Nick Pappagiorgio

You go to Disney to be immersed in Disney. Why reengineer a successful formula? DAK is a good example of where The Lion King was a good fit with the theming of the park. Why should we limit ourselves? If Wall-E can be thematically integrated into The Land for example taking common themes from the movie and pavilion and putting them into a package that can be appreciated by a wide audience, what's the problem?

What is the formula? If you go down the list of greatest hits of attractions most of them are things that didn't incorporate outside source material. But you are right, I go to Disney to be immersed in Disney. The creative Disney that used to come up with original and creative concepts for their parks.

EDIT: By that I mean outside, DISNEY source material.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

So why were kids who are now adults and have a fondness for the park able to have a good old time on the various rides before there was the inclusion of Nemo and Donald, etc? The rides did just fine and didn't need characters so why do they need them now. THAT'S what no one really answers who insists their little one likes it better. Well, how would you know if they wouldn't like it without Nemo. Parents underestimate their kids and set themselves up to expect them to be bored and that's the wrong mindframe.

And look, I get it. Mickey and the Princesses don't really "belong" in EPCOT but at the same time, I wouldn't expect a Disney park to NOT have them for meet and greets. I don't see how having them in a building you can walk on by is a problem? And is Alice or Snow White standing in their respective countries REALLY that bad? Or Donald in his sombrero? I don't think those are really that big of a deal. Just because they weren't there in 1982 doesn't mean they can't be there today. I have the problem with them shoehorning characters into rides and then having them be poor examples and a clear rush job. They don't need to be there in the rides at all but if they are, at least do it right and not on the cheap.
The meet and greets have clearly altered perceptions and expectations. They are rather consistently invoked as reason for why the park needs more properties in a larger role in the park's experiences.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
I'm quite content on my high horse, looking down on people who are okay with the continual destruction of the core themes and ideas of Epcot. :)

There is no continual destruction. The place has been a smoldering pile of debris which hosts a food and wine festival for 6 out of 12 months a year for almost two decades now. Epcot needs to evolve. If they can develop QUALITY attractions, I wouldn't care if they have Elsa dancing with a sombrero next to Donald under the sea with Nemo.

Beholder

I've was around at the earliest days of EPCOT, it was amazing, bold, innovative and so incredibly different. I'm not starting the "back in my day" point of view, but I think what many others here feel, and believe, it's that very difference that made EPCOT, well, EPCOT. I don't hate outside characters, I love them, but for me, being inside this park sort of undermines the whole point. The world we live in, real, imagined or theoretical is grand, on a scale that only a park like EPCOT could showcase. A a child I was entertained and delighted by the Magic Kingdom, but I was inspired and awestruck by EPCOT. I completely understand changing times, expectations and a different audience, but at the same time, don't sell short our willingness to be enthralled by the "mission" of EPCOT. I never missed the characters, never thought they belonged, I, and others like me, were to caught up in the wonder around us to notice. I'm not advocating a return to the past, but building on what made it great, optimistic and audacious proclamations regarding our shared future with a nod towards the fantastic.

FigmentForver96

There is no continual destruction. The place has been a smoldering pile of debris which hosts a food and wine festival for 6 out of 12 months a year for almost two decades now. Epcot needs to evolve. If they can develop QUALITY attractions, I wouldn't care if they have Elsa dancing with a sombrero next to Donald under the sea with Nemo.
Then we've missed the point entirely.

VIPguide_2030

No. No more characters in World Showcase.

I do not totally disagree with you about the characters in WS but I would imagine you would agree that rides are needed that disperses crowds better around the park away from 2 main attractions. In your opinion do you think fixing the 3 FW pavilions sort of like I outlined would be enough to add the missing entertainment value that people think this park is lacking? Maybe a dark ride about the countries showing interesting landmarks while showcasing music and culture could be very entertaining (i.e. Italian gondola ride) while still maintaining the "integrity" of WS? Thoughts?

Luxe

Let's be honest for a second. Disney is putting the Frozen ride in the WS so that when parent's see the wait times they will decide to do a lap around the world first. Stopping for drinks all the way around of course. Easy way to force people other than the current demographic who spend money at the WS to indulge in the offerings. ;)

Matt_Black

How the hell did this thread get to 23 pages?

Well, someone mentioned Baymax meeting in Innoventions, to which a vocal minority chimed in with, "Behold! The downfall of civilization! Watch as we, a modern day Cassandra, weep for the ruins of Western Society." Then, others chimed in with "Lighten up, for Pete's sake", and that started a massive back and forth, which...

Or were you looking for an answer that was succinct and witty?

rioriz

Well, someone mentioned Baymax meeting in Innoventions, to which a vocal minority chimed in with, "Behold! The downfall of civilization! Watch as we, a modern day Cassandra, weep for the ruins of Western Society." Then, others chimed in with "Lighten up, for Pete's sake", and that started a massive back and forth, which...

Or were you looking for an answer that was succinct and witty?

Nope, this makes total sense....Gracias

*nothing to see here*

FigmentForver96

So, you too would support the removal of Splash Mountain from Frontierland?
Thats not what my post is referring to but I don't believe the themeing is right for splash. I love the ride and ride it all the time but what was meant for it before would have been the ultimate Frontierland centerpiece. Details are important no matter how small and splash mountain was in Orlandofor the simple reason that it was going to Disneyland and Eisner knew it be cheaper to just clone it then do something totally unique.

My main point is details need to be inportant to guest so it will be important to Disney. That way we don't continue the loss of epcot.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom