WDWMAGIC Takes the Cake - The Official Cake Talk

Rachel Mellin

This is the cake I ordered as a surprise for our 10 Anniversary while staying in Saratoga Springs - no private dining but spoke to a fab lady called Kellie.

It came from Boardwalk Bakery - it was $75 plus tax.

8" chocolate and peanut butter cake with fondant. heavy chocolate cake and was expecting a lighter buttercream, but tasted good all the same.

They don't normally deliver to the room as there is no private dining, but they agreed that as there was a member of staff they would bring it over. It was placed in the fridge ready for our return from the parks.

I thought it was far to much cake for 2 adults and 2 children. we did end up throwing quite a bit when we left a few days later.

Attachments

• cake.JPG
    cake.JPG
    120.8 KB · Views: 148

LynnMc2015

This is the cake I ordered as a surprise for our 10 Anniversary while staying in Saratoga Springs - no private dining but spoke to a fab lady called Kellie.

It came from Boardwalk Bakery - it was $75 plus tax.

8" chocolate and peanut butter cake with fondant. heavy chocolate cake and was expecting a lighter buttercream, but tasted good all the same.

They don't normally deliver to the room as there is no private dining, but they agreed that as there was a member of staff they would bring it over. It was placed in the fridge ready for our return from the parks.

I thought it was far to much cake for 2 adults and 2 children. we did end up throwing quite a bit when we left a few days later.
I love your cake but am gobsmacked by the price. I was quoted $75 for the ears alone from the GF bakery back in September!

kirari

Hi everyone,

we are back home after our wonderful time at wdw.

AND we had an amazing mini cake at the contemporary. Chef brian trully made an incredible work. It tasted so good. The filling was vanilla with strawberry mousse. Yummy!

there is the sketch I sent:
captur11.jpg

and there is the cake:
img_7310.jpg

img_7311.jpg

img_7312.jpg

thanks so much again for your help here. My man was so in love with is cake, that made his night ^^!

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Hi everyone,

we are back home after our wonderful time at wdw.

AND we had an amazing mini cake at the contemporary. Chef brian trully made an incredible work. It tasted so good. The filling was vanilla with strawberry mousse. Yummy!

there is the sketch I sent:
captur11.jpg

and there is the cake:
img_7310.jpg

img_7311.jpg

img_7312.jpg

thanks so much again for your help here. My man was so in love with is cake, that made his night ^^!

Cute! I'm glad it turned out well. :) Hope you guys had a great trip!

12in12

I am having a family dinner at the CG next week and wanted a special cake. I emailed Chef Brian a month or so ago to explain the cake I wanted. I am rubbish at drawing so just did my best describing it. It is not a Disney themed cake but I am hoping it will be amazing after seeing so many wonderful cakes on this thread.
I found Chef Brian a bit cold and unfriendly in his emails, not sure if he is always like this. The cake I want is very detailed so I knew it would be expensive but I was still a bit surprised that I am paying $271 plus tax for a 10 inch carrot cake. I am getting nervous as I expect a truly beautiful cake for that kind of money but not sure if Chef Brian will do a good job based on his lacklustre responses.

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
I am having a family dinner at the CG next week and wanted a special cake. I emailed Chef Brian a month or so ago to explain the cake I wanted. I am rubbish at drawing so just did my best describing it. It is not a Disney themed cake but I am hoping it will be amazing after seeing so many wonderful cakes on this thread.
I found Chef Brian a bit cold and unfriendly in his emails, not sure if he is always like this. The cake I want is very detailed so I knew it would be expensive but I was still a bit surprised that I am paying $271 plus tax for a 10 inch carrot cake. I am getting nervous as I expect a truly beautiful cake for that kind of money but not sure if Chef Brian will do a good job based on his lacklustre responses.

I think it should be noted that while I rave about Chef Brian, I would say that his emails tend to be more standard professional in tone rather than Disney bubbly. Still, he's always been great at executing my ideas...both from sketches and written descriptions.

I will say that $271 sounds very high for a single tier 10" cake, but I'm not sure what all you're requesting. My single tier 8" last year was $255, but that was because I had the white chocolate wedding castle topper added to the cake along with a number of other intricate details. I remember the guy in private dining that handled my call was very confused at the quote since it wasn't for a 2-tier cake. The Contemporary also tends to be more reasonable than the other resort bakeries. Not sure if any of this puts your mind at ease, but you could always clarify details with him before you travel just to double check that you're on the same page.

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
So, I haven't posted cakes in a while. I have a handful to post, but I didn't copy over the info. So, if anyone is needing more info, I can dig and get more specifics.

nov animal.jpg

nov ariel.jpg

nov cindy slipper.jpeg

nov hm cake.jpg

nov holiday mini.jpg

nov jack.jpg

nov mick minn holiday.JPG

nov mini mp.jpg

nov minnie.JPG
nov robin hood.jpg

continued onto next post...

12in12

I think it should be noted that while I rave about Chef Brian, I would say that his emails tend to be more standard professional in tone rather than Disney bubbly. Still, he's always been great at executing my ideas...both from sketches and written descriptions.

I will say that $271 sounds very high for a single tier 10" cake, but I'm not sure what all you're requesting. My single tier 8" last year was $255, but that was because I had the white chocolate wedding castle topper added to the cake along with a number of other intricate details. I remember the guy in private dining that handled my call was very confused at the quote since it wasn't for a 2-tier cake. The Contemporary also tends to be more reasonable than the other resort bakeries. Not sure if any of this puts your mind at ease, but you could always clarify details with him before you travel just to double check that you're on the same page.
Thanks for the info HouCuseChickie, it makes me feel a bit better that Chef Brian's usual tone isn't overly friendly. I was worried it was because of my cake. I did request 3D elephants on an African themed cake so I knew it would be expensive. I am just a bit worried if the cake will be worth the money. I won't know until our dinner but certainly hope I won't be disappointed. I will take pictures and post them here after our dinner next week.
Also a big huge thank you for running this thread as it has been a great help in figuring out what my options were! Not to mention all the great cake pics to look at.

bjb1124

Millions of thanks to HouCuseChickie for the wonderful sketch that was posted a couple of months ago, Between that sketch and George at Private Dining, we put together a cake that rendered my brother - in - law speechless! Cast members kept coming over, and the cast member who delivered it said they all had to look at it in the back! The cake is grey fondant with the call number of the boat my DBIL served on during Vietnam War. Themed for a veteran but still Disney Magic.

The Contemporary chefs did a brilliant job! $150 for 8 inch custom. Marble cake with Strawberry fruit mousse.
Donald Cake 1.JPG
Donald Cake 1.JPG
Donald Cake 2.JPG
Donald Cake 3.JPG
Donald Cake 4.JPG
Donald Cake 5.JPG

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Millions of thanks to HouCuseChickie for the wonderful sketch that was posted a couple of months ago, Between that sketch and George at Private Dining, we put together a cake that rendered my brother - in - law speechless! Cast members kept coming over, and the cast member who delivered it said they all had to look at it in the back! The cake is grey fondant with the call number of the boat my DBIL served on during Vietnam War. Themed for a veteran but still Disney Magic.

The Contemporary chefs did a brilliant job! $150 for 8 inch custom. Marble cake with Strawberry fruit mousse. View attachment 122268 View attachment 122268 View attachment 122269 View attachment 122270 View attachment 122271 View attachment 122272

I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE it! They did such an amazing job! They really took the concept to a whole new level with the military additions. I'm just so happy to have seen this go from sketch to cake :)

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
OK...I'm finally making good on my promise. As my signature indicates...we're going to Disneyland. The cake process is a bit different.

(the information below is a couple of years old, but it's the most recent detail I can find)
Cake Offerings
Here are the choices for ordering a cakes...

Mickey Mouse / Minnie Mouse Cake
Cake flavor
· Vanilla
· Chocolate
Size
· 10” round ‐ serves 8 ‐10 Guests. Price: $62

Disney Princess Cakes
The Princess Cakes are available with one of the following: Belle, Aurora or Cinderella
Cake Flavor
· Vanilla(1 filling and 1 frosting)
· Chocolate(1 filling and 1 frosting)
· Red Velvet (cream cheese filling/ vanilla butter cream frosting)
Cake Filling
· Vanilla Custard
· Whipped Cream
· White Chocolate Mousse
· Dark Chocolate Mousse
Cake Frosting
· Whipped Cream
· Vanilla Butter Cream
Size
· 6” round cake -- serves 6 Guests. Price: $39
· 10” round cake -- serves 8‐10 Guests. Price: $62
· ¼ Sheet Cake – serves 20 Guests. Price: $80
· ½ Sheet Cake – serves 40 Guests. Price: $110

Classic Cake
Cake Flavor
· Vanilla(1 filling and 1 frosting)
· Chocolate(1 filling and 1 frosting)
· Red Velvet (cream cheese filling / vanilla butter cream frosting)
Cake Filling
· Vanilla Custard
· Whipped Cream
· White Chocolate Mousse
· Dark Chocolate Mousse
Cake Frosting
· Whipped Cream
· Vanilla Butter Cream
· Chocolate Ganache
· Chocolate Mousse
Size
· 6” round - Serves 6 Guests. Price: $39
· 10” round cake ‐ serves 8‐10 Guests. Price: $62
· ¼ sheet cake - serves 20 Guests. Price: $80
· ½ sheet cake - serves 40 Guests. Price: $110
· Full Sheet - serves 80 Guests. Price: $158
Character Images Figurine –
(1 image for 6” or 10” cakes , up to 2 for ½ sheet, up to 3 for full sheet cakes)
· Mickey Mouse, Minnie Mouse, Donald Duck, Goofy, Pluto
· Buzz Lightyear, Wendy, Lightning McQueen, Jack Skellington
· TinkerBell, Ariel, Tiana

Now, I pulled this info from the DLR website today...

To order a cake or learn more information on participating locations, please call (714) 781-DINE or (714) 781-3463 up to 60 days prior to your visit. Guests under 18 years of age must have parent or guardian permission to call.

Please note: You must order custom cakes at least 3 days prior to your preferred date of delivery.

OK, so I can tell you that I've seen cakes with a variety of character toppers, so I know things aren't limited to what's above. I've seen edible images, chocolate 3D toppers (dark chocolate), and molded sugar toppers...painted (some better than others).

***********************************************************************************************************************************************************

Now, I called today to order a cake, so I'll tell you how it's gone so far for me and then give you updates as things progress. So, I called the number above, spoke to someone in dining (i.e. the same CMs who can book dining reservations), and she was able to handle my order. So, their reservationists do what the private dining/cake line people do at WDW. So...here are some of the observations from the call...

-She gave me the cake flavor options above as well as carrot cake.
-I was able to request fondant by phone, but was told I'd receive a follow up email with an updated price b/c of this
-They give you an option of a character on top. It's an extra $12 per character if you want to add additional characters
-They gave me the option of an inscription message for the cake
-From my experience, they called me back within about 30 min when they were unable to accommodate my initial request (asked for a 60th anniversary diamond)
-They did not take my credit card since it's already on file for the meal where the cake is being delivered
-I was quoted $34 for a 6" cake (minus the fondant upcharge)

So, what did I request??? A 6" round, covered in blue fondant, Mickey wave pattern in silver, Goofy on top (having the cake at Goofy's KItchen), red velvet cake/cream cheese filling/vanilla buttercream, and the inscription- "Welcome to Disneyland."

I also noted the food allergy. As with WDW, there is a cross contamination risk, but no refusal to make a cake. So, now I'm just waiting on an email to confirm the final quote.

Now, I have found a handful of DL cake pics out there...and I'm thinking their cakes have changed a bit over the years. Still, the airbrushed ones may be the whipped cream cakes as whipped cream seems to be the preferred base for that. Here are some DL cake examples...most pretty basic, but a couple of more custom, including a 2-tier that supposedly cost quite a bit.

dlcake1.jpg

dlcake3.jpg

dlmickey.jpg

dl2tier.JPG

dlprincesscake.jpg

goofycake.jpg

dltinkcake.jpg

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
So, we're back from California and I wanted to share our cake experience. I will be starting a trip report soon, but in case you're just interested in cake...here ya go.

23822833439_f6830ac833_z.jpg

23822824259_54b2a86fd4_z.jpg

23563825193_a379d91a03_z.jpg

23822800609_958803d9eb_z.jpg

24164424596_7309755eb8_z.jpg

So, I initially wanted a cake with the D and diamond for the diamond anniversary with the Mickey wave pattern, but they couldn't do the D/diamond and the wave pattern is considered a wedding style which is a major upcharge to them. So, I went for this basic Goofy style. The fondant added about $20 to the price.

They were also very confused b/c I guess people don't order private bakery cakes as often and rarely get just because cakes. They put candles in, but didn't know what to sing to us. LOL

The cake and filling was great, but their buttercream frosting is more like whipped cream...which I hate! Carrie/Lurkyloo suggested a place called SusieCakes if you want a cake at Disneyland with traditional buttercream.

Not sure what bakery made this one, but it was delivered for a little girl's 1st bday while we were waiting to be seated at Goofy's Kitchen.
23562644874_f4b7f80338_z.jpg

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Holy moly! If that's her first birthday cake I can't even imagine the size and scope of her 16th!
Amazing cake though!

No kidding! And my poor kids with a home made one that I did. LOL

I know! I was thinking that the cake was bigger than many people's wedding cakes. There were over 20 people in their party that had flown in from all over, but this clearly was about presentation and not feeding the people in their party. I don't hate that, but that's an awful lot of cake for any birthday.

NonnaT

I know! I was thinking that the cake was bigger than many people's wedding cakes. There were over 20 people in their party that had flown in from all over, but this clearly was about presentation and not feeding the people in their party. I don't hate that, but that's an awful lot of cake for any birthday.
Nope, agreed, different strokes for different folks! Lol!
BTW, your cake looks delicious! In fact I think I'm going to bake a red velvet cake later today! Yum!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom