Trip Report It's Not Minneapolis Hubby, it's WDW! November 2015 & lots of pictures!

Hi all! This is my first trip report so I will explain the title first....

My husband and I always spend a weekend in November in the Twin Cities (Minneapolis/St.Paul Minnesota). But we have annual passes this year for WDW and Disneyland, so I decided to surprise my husband with a trip to WDW. I let him think for about three months that we were doing our traditional weekend. We planned activities, like a show (that I told him I would take care of getting the tickets), and places to eat, but all along I had already booked WDW. I even made him watch episodes of the Chew to see the Food and Wine festival stuff, and given him a "guilt trip" because I wouldn't be able to see the Osborne Lights one last time. My husband is a pastor so I had to watch his schedule pretty close in case something like a funeral came along (which one did), but he had already arranged the Sunday off for Minneapolis so I didn't have to worry about that.

So, my original plan was to tell him the night before we left. But I soon realized that he would need more time to prepare. The week that we were to leave, a lady in my congregation that my husband was quite close to lost her battle with cancer. The funeral was on the Tuesday before we left, so I decided that I would tell him about the surprise trip that night, so he could prepare and it would be a nice relief from the grief he was feeling. Well, hubby came home and I let him settled and he was cruisin' facebook and casually I asked him if he wanted to ride any rides this weekend. He of course is thinking I want to go on rides at the Mall of America said no.
So I asked, "Really not even Big Thunder Mountain?"
Hubby: "No, we aren't going to WDW."
Me: "Oh, that's too bad because I have a fast pass for Big Thunder on Friday."
Hubby (starting to stare at me in confusion): "But we aren't going to WDW. Are we?!?!"

From there I confirmed that we were going to WDW on Friday-Monday and he eventually cleared out the confusion cobwebs and got super excited. He started packing that night! The next morning he still couldn't believe I had "tricked" him for months.

So, Thursday rolls around and we both anxiously make our way through the work day. And we do spend the night in Bloomington MN (near the Minneapolis airport) so we can catch our early flight Friday morning. We did go to the Mall of America and had a tasty meal at Buffalo Wild Wings and watched the Minnesota Wild play on tv.

Here are some pictures from Friday morning.
Breakfast at the airport: pumpkin bread and a Caribou Coffee mocha
IMG_0947.JPG

Ready for takeoff
IMG_0948.JPG

Leaving Minneapolis behind
IMG_0949.JPG

Arrival at WDW!
IMG_0951.JPG

Arrival at the Swan hotel. Our first time here. The staff was very friendly and we loved staying here. It was a deluxe hotel at moderate prices. We never felt like we weren't at a "Disney" hotel.
IMG_2631.JPG

IMG_2635.JPG

At the Magic Kingdom

IMG_2649.JPG
IMG_2653.JPG

Since we arrived on Friday the 13th, they were still filming some Christmas parade stuff. Interesting to see and it didn't impact the flow at the MK too much.

IMG_2667.JPG
IMG_2669.JPG

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
I'm feeling like my DH and I need to plan a Christmas trip to WDW in the next few years. It is absolutely beautiful down there. What other kinds of treats did you get at the Christmas party?

Yes, WDW is so pretty during the holiday season. I highly recommend it. At the Christmas party the only "free" treats are the cookies, apple slices, juice (maybe) and hot cocoa. At least I don't think there was anything else that came with the price of the ticket. A few places had special desserts to buy, that were supposedly just for the party.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
The party looks like so much fun! I've been down during Christmas/New Years before, but the parties are all over by the time I go. Someday I will have to attend.

I think most of the party activities like the parade and Christmas Wishes are going on during the week of Christmas and New Years. You might miss out on the stage shows and cookies though.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Off to enjoy the Christmas stage show, I think it is called Celebrate the Season. It is a cute show, my pictures didn't turn out very well. And I was disappointed because I got better pictures of it the last time I went and I didn't have as good of a camera then. Oh well, maybe another time.
IMG_3759.JPG

IMG_3768.JPG

IMG_3775.JPG

IMG_3778.JPG

IMG_3779.JPG

IMG_3781.JPG

IMG_3782.JPG

IMG_3784.JPG

IMG_3785.JPG

I think the castle is so lovely with the icicle lights.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Final shot at the Christmas party
IMG_3798.JPG

But the next morning we went to the Magic Kingdom and I snapped a picture of the party sign.
IMG_3801.JPG

I love the morning show at the MK. There was no train this time as the train was down for refurbishment.
IMG_3805.JPG

But Scoop Sanderson, MK's reporter was out to greet us during the show. Haven't seen him out for the morning Welcome show in quite awhile, usually it is the mayor.
IMG_3807.JPG

IMG_3811.JPG

After a ride on the Mine Train, tea cups, and Dumbo, we wandered over to Gaston's for a "warm" cinnamon roll for breakfast. The cinnamon roll wasn't warm, unless you count room temperature as warm. It tasted good though.
IMG_3812.JPG

IMG_3813.JPG

IMG_3816.JPG
IMG_3819.JPG

I like how there are antlers in the decorations!

IMG_3817.JPG

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Enjoying your parade and show pictures, as well as the various park photos as well--they're all so cheerful to look at! I never knew that some of the parade floats had scents to them--gingerbread, etc. That's an interesting piece of trivia right there! :joyfull:

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Enjoying your parade and show pictures, as well as the various park photos as well--they're all so cheerful to look at! I never knew that some of the parade floats had scents to them--gingerbread, etc. That's an interesting piece of trivia right there! :joyfull:

I loved that some of the floats put out a fun food smell, although it made me a little hungry! Especially the chocolate smell.

the reindeers are adorable! :D

Just like me! ;) Seriously though, next to the toy soliders the reindeer are my second favorite in the parade. I also think the gingerbread men are cute, I like how they have the flat backside, just like if they came off of a cookie sheet.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
After our cinnamon roll we rode the carousel, but I was in a good position to take a shot at the Philharmagic sign which I think is cute with Mickey. The carousel is a Magic Kingdom tradition going back to my visits as a child.
IMG_3821.JPG

IMG_3824.JPG

A nice view of the backside of the castle. I liked the garland on it, I don't remember that being on there in other years we have been there during the holidays.
IMG_3826.JPG

We are dorks over the Jingle Cruise, we had to ride it again. To be fair we ride the Jungle Cruise a lot too.
IMG_3831.JPG

IMG_3834.JPG

IMG_3837.JPG

IMG_3840.JPG

IMG_3841.JPG

IMG_3844.JPG

IMG_3846.JPG

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
After Jingle Cruise it was time for a citrus swirl
IMG_3852.JPG

Then we hung out on Main Street waiting for the Dapper Dans to appear somewhere.
IMG_3854.JPG
IMG_3855.JPG
IMG_3856.JPG

IMG_3858.JPG

IMG_3861.JPG

IMG_3863.JPG

Then we rode the speedway, something we haven't done in a long time, as the queue is so hot and boring. We fast passed it and it was really nice to whiz right past all the people in the stand by line.
IMG_3867.JPG

IMG_3868.JPG

Then one last look at the hub as we made our way out.
IMG_3871.JPG

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
At the Contemporary the gingerbread display is Frozen themed. Even though I am so over Frozen, it was nice to see a different display. The last time I saw the Contemporary display it was small world themed and had been 2 years before that. Hopefully next time I see it there will be a different theme as well.
IMG_3914.JPG
IMG_3915.JPG
IMG_3916.JPG
IMG_3918.JPG

Then we went back to Epcot for lunch and to bum around for a couple hours before meeting our car service back at the Swan to take us to the airport.
We stopped at the Chew area and got a ny strip dish and a pork roast dish. Both were pretty tasty.
IMG_3919.JPG
IMG_3920.JPG
IMG_3921.JPG

Then to the Dominican Republic for a roast pork dish and griddled cheese and mashed yucca dish. Funny thing about the pork dish, on the side was an avocado mash and my husband loved it. He claims to hate avocado of any kind, I knew what it was and he didn't. After he finished his half and said how good it was. I said, "You know that was avocado right?" He looked at me in shock and said well this was good avocado and has some flavor unlike guacamole. I just said, "whatever, guac has more spice than this, but at least you can't say you don't like avocado anymore. And I laughed at him.
IMG_3923.JPG
IMG_3922.JPG

And the steak chimchurri skewer (again) and a beef empanada from Patagonia. The empanada was not that great but I put some chimi sauce on it from the skewer and it was better.
IMG_3925.JPG

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Hubby also tried the lamb meatballs from New Zealand (I don't do lamb), he liked them but said they just tasted like regular meatballs.
IMG_3926.JPG

We also had been to Paris this year and we wanted to to to Les Halles Boulangerie to relive some of the food we had. So we got the croque moniseur (which was dry and overtoasted, nothing like the ones we had in the real France), a chocolate eclair (very good), but the best and our last Disney food of the trip was the duo au chocolate (a piece of white and regular chocolate mousse heaven covered in chocolate).
IMG_3927.JPG
IMG_3928.JPG
IMG_3929.JPG

We then watched the France film and headed out of Epcot and walked to the Yacht and Beach Club hoping their Christmas displays were up, but no luck. So we enjoyed the dock for a bit and then headed out back to the Swan, airport and then home. It was a great trip and such fun to surprise my husband with the trip. I can't wait until we go again.
IMG_3931.JPG

Thanks for reading my first trip report!
So long from me and hubby!
IMG_3936.JPG

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom