Going to the World with Cancer

ada0801

My mom was recently diagnosed with an aggressive form of breast cancer. She will undergo chemo and radiation therapy. She still jvery much wants to go on our Disney trip in March. Given that she is healthy enough and up to it -are there any tips for us? We will be there early March, 8 days, group of 10 (6 adults, 4 grandkids), staying at French Quarter.

piglet1

She may want to go back to the room and rest more than the rest of you, or spend more time sitting and watching you enjoy yourselves - she will be wiped out - so make her feel comfortable telling you that. If she is not comfortable asking for plan changes, please maybe be a little proactive, and make those decisions for her by deciding to take the kids out of the park and back to the hotel pool so she can lie down for a while, or maybe see Hall of the Presidents, Carousel of Progress, or some other attraction where you spend a longer period of time just sitting . Also, bear in mind her hair will not have grown out, so she will be wearing either a wig or scarf, so some of the more "windy" (shall we say?) rides like BTM or even 7 Dwarfs may not be suitable to avoid wig or scarf slippage. Mostly, while you take care of her, don't make her feel "different" or like she's holding you back. Hope this helps some.

Upvote 0

DisneyPrincess5

I am sorry to hear about your mom-I hope all goes well with her treatment. March is approaching quickly and what a wonderful trip with her family for her to look forward to.

I recommend taking things slow/at a pace that is comfortable both physically and mentally for her. Enjoy the sights, enjoy each other, and make time to eat and drink well. Take breaks in shows or back in the room and ask the doctor about sunscreen. The sun shouldn't be oppressive but it'll still be out-the last thing she or anyone will need is a nasty burn.

Happy planning and sending good thoughts your way.

Upvote 0

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
I would have a frank conversation with everyone up front about expectations and the needs of your mom. Your moms needs outweigh others wants. I would come to an agreement on how you all will address the need for rest times. Will you all take a break or will someone hang with your mom while she rests and who that will be.

I wish I had one more trip with my mom but she started down the trail of health problems and passed away. Had a trip planned but it ended up being a little too late. Enjoy your trip and spend some one on one time even if it's just people watching while she takes a rest.

Upvote 0

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Sorry to hear about your mom, hopefully the treatments will go well. As others have stated go slow and put your mom's needs ahead of the group. I would plan for a lot of downtime at the hotel, or relax at a water park (even if she doesn't want to swim she can relax on a shady lounger).

A thought might also be to plan a show where your whole family can relax together instead of rushing around to rides, I was thinking the Hoop de Doo at Fort Wilderness or the Luau at the Polynesian. That way you can all be entertained, have a meal and even if your mom doesn't want to eat or eat a lot you still have the fun show.

I would also look into renting a scooter or a wheelchair as she might feel weak after walking around. But most of all remember to make your mom feel normal too and don't let her think her situation is ruining anyone's trip or slowing anyone down. It should be a trip to celebrate being together. But remember as with any large group trip there can be a thing as too much togetherness, let everyone have free time to do what they want.

Upvote 0

jackson2005

French Quarter! Good choice, nice and relaxing! If you feel you will need to be pushing her around you might purchase a transporter chair, then you would have it at the airport and back and forth from the parks. I purchased one for my mom from Walgreens online for around $100. Hope all goes well. For her, and have a wonderful trip.

Upvote 0

Baldy

So sorry to hear about your mom:(. If she's up to it, I say go. Laughter and family can be a very important part of healing. French Quarter is a wonderful choice. Not only is it beautiful, but its nice and small, so there is less walking.

I went 3 weeks after my final chemo treatment (Breast Cancer as well) and it was the trip that made me fall in love with Disney. The cast members and characters were great. I never had to say a word (the headscarves probably gave me away;)), but I always got a smile, a pat on the back, extra big hugs from Winnie the Pooh and a seat on the bus. BTW, I did not have any issues with windy rides. The scarves always stayed on tight.

Expect her to be tired and weak. Keep an eye out for benches and quiet areas to rest. If she looks like she could use a break, suggest that you stop for a snack. She may feel guilty asking everyone to stop just for her. If she is willing to use a scooter or wheelchair, I would highly recommend you get one. I was too stubborn, but my legs would cramp up or sometimes my mom would literally have to pull me by the hand or push me from behind. I just didn't have the energy. Believe it or not, the worst ride for me was the people mover. I just couldn't manage the incline of the moving walkway. Just enjoy being together and don't worry about how much you get done.

Make sure she has a copy of her medical records with her and that she speaks to her medical team before leaving (they may have recommendations about things like medication, sun exposure or special precautions on the flight etc...).
I'll be sending positive vibes your way. Keep us posted.

Upvote 0

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
So sorry to hear about your mom:(. If she's up to it, I say go. Laughter and family can be a very important part of healing. French Quarter is a wonderful choice. Not only is it beautiful, but its nice and small, so there is less walking.

I went 3 weeks after my final chemo treatment (Breast Cancer as well) and it was the trip that made me fall in love with Disney. The cast members and characters were great. I never had to say a word (the headscarves probably gave me away;)), but I always got a smile, a pat on the back, extra big hugs from Winnie the Pooh and a seat on the bus. BTW, I did not have any issues with windy rides. The scarves always stayed on tight.

Expect her to be tired and weak. Keep an eye out for benches and quiet areas to rest. If she looks like she could use a break, suggest that you stop for a snack. She may feel guilty asking everyone to stop just for her. If she is willing to use a scooter or wheelchair, I would highly recommend you get one. I was too stubborn, but my legs would cramp up or sometimes my mom would literally have to pull me by the hand or push me from behind. I just didn't have the energy. Believe it or not, the worst ride for me was the people mover. I just couldn't manage the incline of the moving walkway. Just enjoy being together and don't worry about how much you get done.

Make sure she has a copy of her medical records with her and that she speaks to her medical team before leaving (they may have recommendations about things like medication, sun exposure or special precautions on the flight etc...).
I'll be sending positive vibes your way. Keep us posted.

Great advice, sorry to hear about your cancer. Hopefully you are doing well now. I agree with you Disney can be a great healer for a variety of things.

Upvote 0

Dwarful

We went with my mom while battling breast cancer...she eventually had to have a bilateral mastectomy. Besides rest and staying out of the sun...you may need to keep an eye on food and drinks. My mom had some real issues with food and we took a lot of ensure drinks with us as well because a lot of things...food drinks and smells made her feel ill. So keep an eye on that and plan accordingly. Take lots of photos, make lots of memories...and keep us posted. We are heading down for Christmas with my whole family and mom has been cancer free 7 years now!

Upvote 0

ada0801

Original Poster
Thank you so much to everyone for the support and advise. It is very helpful to have the knowledge of what to expect. Hopefully we will be celebrating her completion of her treatment (at least round 1) while we are down there. Laughter and family are the best medicine and we plan to live it up!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom