FastPass+ and Dining

baharini

Original Poster
Hi all, I'm going to be at WDW with the rest of our family of 4 in late December (20th and 22nd), my first WDW visit from South Africa!

I've got the FastPass+ setup but have some questions on the times.
Here is the current setup I've got for one of the days, for reference: (I've removed the names)
eFpUteL.png

I think I'll list the questions I have since it's the least confusing means.
  1. I've been told to book FastPass+ for midday/afternoon rides as the park is far less busy in the morning. Does this hold true for late December too, or will it be packed all day long? I ask this because I've currently set the FastPass+ for midday/afternoon. Should I just set them for the morning and use the kiosks later?
  2. The "Arrive Between" times are rather confusing as I don't know what to expect with FastPass+ line times at this time of year, so worried we won't have enough time to have lunch or visit other attractions in between FastPass+ reservations. Will this be a problem? If so, would it be better to just have all FastPass+ reservations right after each other?
  3. Assuming the previous two questions are all fine, does it look like there's enough time between Haunted Mansion and Space Mountain to book a restaurant reservation?
Thanks in advance for any help, it's my first time so should improve soon!

JourneysEnd

IMO your times are good. Remember it's a long walk between Haunted Mansion and Space Mountain. I wouldn't book a TS between those. You could do lunch between Pirates and Haunted. Do Pirates at beginning of FP+ time, several good places to eat between Pirates and Haunted. Book your TS for dinner after Space Mountain.

Crowds will start building on the 21st, but the park has been crazy busy all fall so expect crowds.

baharini

Original Poster
Awesome, I'll do that then, thanks guys! Also, the fireworks displays – am I right in saying both MK and Epcot have displays on every night? If so will definitely watch. Any tips on good viewing areas which don't require FP+ (as they're used up)?

WillCAD

1) I prefer to make my advance FP selections for the morning, because you can't make additional FP selections until your three advance selections have been used or expired. If all three advance selections are finished by 1pm, then I can make more (one at a time) for the afternoon. But if I set even one of my FPs late in the day, then I can't make any more selections until after it's used or expired, and may have to stand in long stand-by lines until that last advance FP comes up.

2) The concept behind FastPass has always been that the system hands out only enough to make the FP queues 20 minutes or less for any given period, so I always assume that when I redeem a FP I'll be standing in line for 20 minutes. The actual wait time is sometimes less, but I use the 20 minute baseline if I'm planning something.

3) Your HM window 1:40-2:40, while your SM window is 3:30-4:30. You should be able to squeeze a table service meal in there, IF you have an ADR and the restaurant is not running too far behind schedule. You should go to HM as soon as the FP window opens at 1:40 and get it out of the way. Make an ADR for your meal at about 2:15-2:30, and show up to check in about 20 minutes in advance (more than 20 minutes doesn't get you seated any faster, but less than 20 minutes can put you farther back on the list). Then, get to SM before 4:30. You've got almost a three-hour time period there, so it is possible. The key is to remember that those windows are just for getting into the FP queue - you can arrive at SM at 4:29 and still get in the queue.

However, if you can't get an ADR at any of the in-park restaurants at around 2:15-2:30, then you're going to have to try changing your FP selections to avoid overlap, or simply eat counter service that day. Hint: Columbia Harbor House is right next to HM, has great food, and is generally far less busy and crowded than Pecos Bills, Pinochio Village Haus, or Cosmic Ray's. You're looking to eat at a less-crowded off time, between 2-4, which is good, but that time of year you will still encounter crowds and lines at any of the counter service places, so have patience and don't let it stress you out.

JohnD

1) I prefer to make my advance FP selections for the morning, because you can't make additional FP selections until your three advance selections have been used or expired. If all three advance selections are finished by 1pm, then I can make more (one at a time) for the afternoon. But if I set even one of my FPs late in the day, then I can't make any more selections until after it's used or expired, and may have to stand in long stand-by lines until that last advance FP comes up.

The exception to that rule is late afternoon/evening arrival. In that case I have made FP+ for Wishes, MSEP, and Illuminations.

baharini

Original Poster
Have a fun trip today!! Wish I was there!
Thank you! A little late response here, but the trip was amazing! All FP+ and dining reservations seemed to be timed perfectly.

Interestingly enough, I used the Pirates FP+ around 5 minutes before its window started, and it worked fine – I don't know if that's built into the system or just CM leniency but still, no complaints!

Rob562

Thank you! A little late response here, but the trip was amazing! All FP+ and dining reservations seemed to be timed perfectly.

Interestingly enough, I used the Pirates FP+ around 5 minutes before its window started, and it worked fine – I don't know if that's built into the system or just CM leniency but still, no complaints!

FP+ reservations will work from 5 minutes before to 15 minutes after the time window (though that 15-minute cutoff is exact. We were at 15 minutes and 10 seconds and got the blue Mickey)

-Rob

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom