Season Of The Force - Tomorrowland Overlay Opens November 16th

lazyboy97o

I don't really know the story with the Star Wars language, but the Indiana Jones queue line has those hieroglyphics that you were encouraged to decode and people still gush over. "The details! Oh, those Imagineers!" I guess people that want to do that in the Star Wars walkthrough are just sad weirdos?
The "language" is exactly like the writing on the walls of the Indiana Jones Adventure queue. It works exactly the same way where the words and structure are English but the letters are just written differently. The only big difference is that it does have ligatures replace double letter combinations such as th. More than likely the designers acquired any number of available fonts and just changed the font.

TP2000

Original Poster
The whole reason it is there is because it is a known thing and easy to decipher. But of course, heaven forbid something counter your never ending "Disneyland is always better" mantra.

You obviously didn't read my comments earlier in this thread where I said the Cantina thing falls flat and is a dumb part of Launch Bay. It's cheap and pointless. And I don't like to brag, but I was Chewbacca for two Halloweens in a row (1977 in a stroke of brilliance, and again in 1978 due to lack of planning) but I never knew about Aurabesh until this week.

And Disneyland is almost always better. At being an amusement park. And it's just an amusement park, with a new Star Wars museum in it where Microsoft used to have a boring corporate exhibit, so.... an improvement!

I have a hunch the Cantina was supposed to do something else, or have something happen there, and they cut it for monetary or creative reasons. Not sure it's big enough to be a working snack bar or Coke stand, but it seems like it should have done something.

What's the point of this again?
11_15_DL_15934.jpg

But if you can get passionate about the fake alien movie language on the wall of this exhbit not being accurate, then go for it. Is that some of the Aurebesh alphabet in that alcove on the left of this photo? I went through Launch Bay last week and didn't notice it, or didn't know I was supposed to care about it other than "alien letters on wall of Star Wars set in Tomorrowland".

Quite frankly, now that we all know Aurebesh is a thing I'm disappointed that the low-level Imagineer tasked with finishing this little corner didn't translate Aurebesh into the lyrics of some saucy drinking song, or the web address of his Facebook page, or something clever like that.

GiveMeTheMusic

Launch Bay/Marvel HQ is cheap and clearly thrown together. Things like it never used to bother me, but now prices are so exorbitant Disney can't afford to phone it in anymore, even for semipermanent exhibits. When your three year Star Wars exhibit pales in comparison to the similar offerings at the four day Star Wars con, it's a problem. The Aurebesh thing is just an example of slapped together lack of detail in an "attraction" so full of missed opportunities it could be a Presidential candidate.

The release date for VII has been set for quite some time, and yet, WDPR seemed to be caught by surprise. At least this hastily slopped crap was in place before the movie came out instead of a full year later (hi Olaf!).

Old Mouseketeer

That was awful! Did the cast member get his finger stuck on one of the buttons? They do a better job with Rozz over at Monsters Inc.

My Rebel Spies tell me that there have been problems with the technology. The people dressing the characters were only introduced to it a week before opening. It's supposed to be most difficult with the lead Storm Trooper.

The control glove that triggers the pre-programmed responses can be finnicky, and it depends on the costume. The performers wearing the costume actually started training before the non-tech people who are dressing them. There is a union conflict pending because minimum wage SEIU costuming cast members are dressing them and hooking up the wires with only minimal IATSE stage techs involved as needed. This is the reverse of Magical Map and Red Car Newsboys where costuming cast members dress the articulated characters and stage techs hook up the technology. Watch this space.

While criticism of the design and scope of Super Hero HQ and Launch Bay is valid, the people trying to make the interactive characters work are really trying hard. It is much more challenging for the performers, and for the support staff.

MoonRakerSCM

Before the Miceage article, how many dozens of people on the planet even knew Aurebesh was a thing or would know to try and read it?

I did. *raises hand* I'm a fat loser nerd! When I first saw the images of the banners along the Tland main drag I noticed the aurebesh on them. I took a photo and pulled up a chart of the letters to decipher them. I noticed the light side banners said 'Jedi Order' on them and thought it was nifty. I then took a fuzzy photo of the dark side banners and thought those simply had gibberish on them (hard to see). I thought- 'huh, interesting' and went on with my day. Later on I got a clear shot of them and noticed they actually said 'Separatists' on them and I still thought 'huh, interesting' and still just went on with my day. It didn't affect my faith in humanity either way.

Last edited:

Phroobar

Phroobar

Why does Miceage hate Launch Bay at Disneyland but likes the even cheaper and uglier version at DHS?

"The Star Wars Launch Bay is going to be a topic that divides Disney fans for sure. It is the most elaborate and most expensive thing ever? Not at all. Are there some cool details? Absolutely. Is it what we’ll want to see once a fully imagined Star Wars land gets built in this park? Not even close. But, for my money, I think it is an upgrade over what was a shell of the old Animation tour that had completely run its course in the park. And with Star Wars taking over this park, and the entire world this month, it is a sound move, and adds some desire to head to Hollywood Studios, and that is something the park surely needs."

Travel Junkie

Why does Miceage hate Launch Bay at Disneyland but likes the even cheaper and uglier version at DHS?

"The Star Wars Launch Bay is going to be a topic that divides Disney fans for sure. It is the most elaborate and most expensive thing ever? Not at all. Are there some cool details? Absolutely. Is it what we’ll want to see once a fully imagined Star Wars land gets built in this park? Not even close. But, for my money, I think it is an upgrade over what was a shell of the old Animation tour that had completely run its course in the park. And with Star Wars taking over this park, and the entire world this month, it is a sound move, and adds some desire to head to Hollywood Studios, and that is something the park surely needs."

Different authors, different opinions.

Generally speaking DLR bloggers and fans are much more critical than WDW bloggers and fans.

George Lucas on a Bench

My expectations may have been unrealistically high, but I'm not really sure why that is. At the very least, I expected something on the level of Star Trek: The Experience in Vegas.

Phroobar

I miss Star Trek the Experience. That was so cool to beam onto the Enterprise. I still don't know how they did that.

VJ

The website currently says May 26, 2016.
Not to be argumentative or anything but Disney reps have said that date was an error.
Not so fast—no end date for Season of the Force

In last week's update, we reported that the Disneyland website listed the Season of the Force promotion as ending on May 26, 2016. We received word from Disneyland that this information had been published on Disneyland.com in error, and that there is still no announced end date for the Season of the Force promotion. The official Disneyland website was quickly updated to remove the reference to May 26.

Some fans were thrilled at the news, hoping this meant that the "seasonal" overlay would last until Star Wars Land opens. Others fear this means Disney will keep the promotion in place at least through Halloween, when Space Mountain—currently operating as Hyperspace Mountain for the event—would normally receive the "Ghost Galaxy" overlay.
(https://www.mouseplanet.com/11242/Disneyland_Resort_Update_for_November_30__December_6_2015)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom