A Spirited Perfect Ten

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Iger has done a great job of making money for investors by stock buy backs and running the parks into the ground. He made great profits by making DHS the worst major theme park in the country. So it depends on ones priorities as to how well Iger has done.

Iger actually has not done all that well for the investor, Sure he's pumped the stock to all time highs yet in his tenure he has only grown the company revenues 63% or about 5% year as compared to Eisner who grew the company 800% or a growth rate of about 15% year.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Shiny toys like Lucasfilm and Marvel are Iger's attempts to distract folks from TWDC's serious structural problems. These issues will not go away.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/disneys-cable-channels-see-steep-844007

Yup - read the comments about ESPN's CONTENT the consumers's are not liking it, Once again you can see Disney's backwards perceptions ie people watch ESPN because it's ESPN not because of the CONTENT ESPN "USED TO" carry, People watched ESPN for the personalities and the live games, Now that Disney has cut the personalities and replaced them with nobodies much of the reason to watch is gone.

Cesar R M

Yes, ESPN is losing subscribers because everyone is losing subscribers.

ESPN is on basic cable/dish subs. You cant get rid of ESPN without getting rid of Cable. People are simply walking away from Cable TV for a multitude of reasons: Too expensive, cord cutting, etc.
my #1 complain would be.. having to pay and still get tons of annoying ADS.
nothing more annoying than having a 30 minute airtime show, split in 5 minutes of the show and then 15 minutes of ads..

Crazydisneyfanluke

my #1 complain would be.. having to pay and still get tons of annoying ADS.
nothing more annoying than having a 30 minute airtime show, split in 5 minutes of the show and then 15 minutes of ads..
I was watching a 2hr episode of Once upon a time, it felt every time the picked up the story again, the dropped it for more adds. which last longer than the episode. Its extremely frustrating.

PhotoDave219

Yup - read the comments about ESPN's CONTENT the consumers's are not liking it, Once again you can see Disney's backwards perceptions ie people watch ESPN because it's ESPN not because of the CONTENT ESPN "USED TO" carry, People watched ESPN for the personalities and the live games, Now that Disney has cut the personalities and replaced them with nobodies much of the reason to watch is gone.

I don't watch ESPN for personalities - I watch ESPN for the game. I'd be fine without any commentary.

Mike S

I think Sonny had a bit too much to drink tonight.
image.jpeg

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

ESPN is on basic cable/dish subs. You cant get rid of ESPN without getting rid of Cable. People are simply walking away from Cable TV for a multitude of reasons: Too expensive, cord cutting, etc.
Yes for the most part that is true but on a fair number of systems you get the basic ESPN package but there are additional ESPN channels available as part of a sports package. I suspect a lot of the bleeding is coming from the up charge networks. Example on our old system ESPN was basic but ESPN 2 was part of the deluxe packages

PhotoDave219

Yes for the most part that is true but on a fair number of systems you get the basic ESPN package but there are additional ESPN channels available as part of a sports package. I suspect a lot of the bleeding is coming from the up charge networks. Example on our old system ESPN was basic but ESPN 2 was part of the deluxe packages

Hey, I still dig espn8- The Ocho!

Rodan75

The whole 'realization' on ESPN loses is ridiculous. Analysts should be paying attention to video sub loss/ growth around the industry. If any of them act like these numbers are a surprise, they should be fired and forced to give back their bonuses.

These ESPN numbers should be giving Comcast and AT&T some heartburn and be impacting their stock prices moreso Disney. Disney has options, AT&T, Comcast et al are in for continued margin pressure.

PhotoDave219

The whole 'realization' on ESPN loses is ridiculous. Analysts should be paying attention to video sub loss/ growth around the industry. If any of them act like these numbers are a surprise, they should be fired and forced to give back their bonuses.

These ESPN numbers should be giving Comcast and AT&T some heartburn and be impacting their stock prices moreso Disney. Disney has options, AT&T, Comcast et al are in for continued margin pressure.

Comcast, Charter, Time-Warner... these companies are in trouble. They just distribute things, cable companies don't create content.

Disney will be fine. They've been better with the internet than under Eisner. (The Go.Com debacle)

Rodan75

Comcast, Charter, Time-Warner... these companies are in trouble. They just distribute things, cable companies don't create content.

Disney will be fine. They've been better with the internet than under Eisner. (The Go.Com debacle)

Agreed. The moment we are in now is the whole reason why Comcast bought NBCUniversal. The high margin tv distro biz is over. And the broadband biz is a constant race for bandwidth and speed. Not a great position for companies not used to running lean.

Ariel1986

So, on a different tangent I'm currently in Tokyo Disneyland- and man is it packed! Granted it's a Saturday- but maybe there's no downtime in any Disney parks now? Unless there's a holiday I'm blissfully ignorant of over here. What have anyone else's experiences with crowds been like if you've been here? Maybe we just made a rookie mistake of turning up on a Saturday lunchtime! Ha.

Don't get me wrong though it's got some great bits (and side note, Tokyo city is beautiful if you ever get the chance to go- welcoming, clean & modern yet with great history. It's not as alienating as you might think & even though we've eaten mainly traditional Japanese food there's plenty of western options) but the crowds in the park today were just insane. And manic! Everyone seemed to be running everywhere. 80-120 min waits for most rides & most fastpasses gone by lunchtime (call me a pixie duster but I'd of loved to of been able to have 3 fast passes booked and ready for today to be able to of got on some of what I'd had in my head as must dos!) along with crowds winding 2 & 3 fold out of buildings for all restaurants & even food stands. And then the crowd control was just ridiculous. During the parades everyone sits all over the floor with blankets and literally sets up camp- when we were trying to leave after the dream lights parade it was like trying to wade through manic Magic Kingdom crowds after Wishes, but filtering those massive crowds into a single file trying to push through everyone because everyone is stopping & sitting down on the floor to wait for the next show & fireworks. There was also hardly any lighting or control from the cast members. And yep, many a buggy in the heels even here. Yikes!

I am enjoying some of the differences & the extra details in things of course though! Enjoyed some Mickey Mouse shaped steamed pork & chicken teriaki buns for dinner ha ha! And it's Disney Tokyo Sea tomorrow- really looking forward to that. Hope the crowds aren't quite so mad!

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

Disagree,

Disney is in far worse shape, They are in the content PRODUCTION business they have no answer for the cord cutters as in a cord cutting environment only those truly interested in content will buy it, Also in a cord cutting scenario the cable providers will be cut out of sports as the leagues themselves will distribute via companies like Akamai,

The difference is if every cable sub cancelled their subscription tomorrow AT&T and Comcast Still deliver the internet to those homes which is a better business than cable. Of course AT&T is probably kicking itself for the DTV purchase.

Yes the internet business involves actual capex but the actual PRODUCT is getting cheaper every day

Mike S

So, on a different tangent I'm currently in Tokyo Disneyland- and man is it packed! Granted it's a Saturday- but maybe there's no downtime in any Disney parks now? Unless there's a holiday I'm blissfully ignorant of over here. What have anyone else's experiences with crowds been like if you've been here? Maybe we just made a rookie mistake of turning up on a Saturday lunchtime! Ha.

Don't get me wrong though it's got some great bits (and side note, Tokyo city is beautiful if you ever get the chance to go- welcoming, clean & modern yet with great history. It's not as alienating as you might think & even though we've eaten mainly traditional Japanese food there's plenty of western options) but the crowds in the park today were just insane. And manic! Everyone seemed to be running everywhere. 80-120 min waits for most rides & most fastpasses gone by lunchtime (call me a pixie duster but I'd of loved to of been able to have 3 fast passes booked and ready for today to be able to of got on some of what I'd had in my head as must dos!) along with crowds winding 2 & 3 fold out of buildings for all restaurants & even food stands. And then the crowd control was just ridiculous. During the parades everyone sits all over the floor with blankets and literally sets up camp- when we were trying to leave after the dream lights parade it was like trying to wade through manic Magic Kingdom crowds after Wishes, but filtering those massive crowds into a single file trying to push through everyone because everyone is stopping & sitting down on the floor to wait for the next show & fireworks. There was also hardly any lighting or control from the cast members. And yep, many a buggy in the heels even here. Yikes!

I am enjoying some of the differences & the extra details in things of course though! Enjoyed some Mickey Mouse shaped steamed pork & chicken teriaki buns for dinner ha ha! And it's Disney Tokyo Sea tomorrow- really looking forward to that. Hope the crowds aren't quite so mad!
Lucky. I'm just in WDW, lol.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom