The Force Awakens

danlb_2000

Premium Member
It was. Which leads me to wonder: Are all the fan 'what-if's and over-speculation in danger of making the actual film underwhelming? Granted, after the major twists revealed of "I am your father"..."Leia is your sister" in episodes 5 & 6...it is understandable that we'd expect a major bombshell or twist to be thrown at us in ep 7. But I'm beginning to wonder if many fan theories are pushing expectations for another Star Wars surprise or JJ Abrams shocker to levels that simply cannot be met. I as much as the next person gets excited thinking of possible OT tie-in's or cameos that only fans can drool over. But would they be practical in pushing the saga forward? It might get a loud applause from the audience, but how much is too much when it comes to looking backwards rather than developing the new characters as their own people?

I wouldn't entirely blame the fans for this theory, the trailers re-enforce it. Luke's dialog "The force is strong in my family, My father has, I have, my sister has, you have that power to", Maz Kanats's dialog "I've seen the same eyes in different people" and not to mention that we have two lead characters that haven't been given last names. Yes, these things could be interpreted in different ways, but to me it's pretty clear what all of this is implying, even if it's not true.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I wouldn't entirely blame the fans for this theory, the trailers re-enforce it. Luke's dialog "The force is strong in my family, My father has, I have, my sister has, you have that power to", Maz Kanats's dialog "I've seen the same eyes in different people" and not to mention that we have two lead characters that haven't been given last names. Yes, these things could be interpreted in different ways, but to me it's pretty clear what all of this is implying, even if it's not true.
Knowing JJ, it is one giant misdirection.:)

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/GraphicCity/news/?a=127149

Before you get excited, that's not Mark Hamill in a mo-cap suit on the set of Star Wars: The Force Awakens. He's filming scenes for the upcoming video game, Squadron 42 (Star Citizen). However, Hamill does divulge that there's a very specific Episode VII secret he's sitting on so that he can collect his NDA payout.

"It's crazy. This NDA stuff - non-disclosure agreement. Where you're not allowed to talk about stuff. I have something coming out, where there's an amount of money where if it leaks because of me, I don't get that payment. If I keep it a secret until the day it comes out, I get that payment."

We all know what that 'something' is Mark. The question is, with all the rumors swirling the production of Star Wars: The Force Awakens, has that rumor leaked yet? Hamill insists that he's good at keeping secrets, citing his ability to keep the Darth Vader/Luke Skywalker twist a secret from his wife and original trilogy co-star, Harrison Ford. "The original line was, 'You don't know the truth, Obi Wan killed your father. And [Irvin Kershner] said we're going to take out that line and put, "I am your father."...It was a mind-boggling plot twist...Now it's happening all over again. I'm not even authorized to tell you that I'm in Episode VII."
Source: Games Radar

Inb4 those "Luke turns evil" rumors REALLY ramp up.

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/markcassidycbm/news/?a=127188

Most movies would be happy to open with $50M, but Star Wars: The Force Awakens already has that in the bank a month before its release. The J.J. Abrams-directed flick has broken the record for advance ticket sales (previously held by the first Hunger Games), and could well be on its way to becoming one of, if not the highest grossing picture of all time.

According to Deadline, that $50M figure could rise as high as $100M by December 18, because apparently Disney has only run a minimal part of its ad campaign. Yes, you may think you've seen quite a lot (more than enough?) from Finn, Rey and co. - but as we head into Thanksgiving promotion for the movie is expected to kick up a few more notches. Plus, fans are continuing to purchase advance tickets beyond opening weekend, through Christmas week and into 2016. Have you bought your ticket yet?

Starring Daisy Ridley, John Boyega, Adam Driver, Harrison Ford, Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher, Anthony Daniels, Peter Mayhew, Kenny Baker, Oscar Isaac, Andy Serkis, Domhnall Gleeson, Gwendoline Christie, Lupita Nyong’o and Max von Sydow, Star Wars: The Force Awakens is set to be released on December 18th, 2015.
Source: Deadline

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/star-wars-the-force-awakens-strays-from-my-origina/1100-6432477/

The plot for Star Wars: The Force Awakens is a tightly guarded secret. But what we now know is that the story it tells, as well as the overarching narrative for the new trilogy, is not what franchise creator George Lucas originally had in mind.

Speaking with GameSpot sister site CBS News, Lucas explained that the Star Wars saga, as he envisioned it, is basically a soap opera. Disney listened to Lucas' ideas, but wanted to go another direction.

"The issue was ultimately, they looked at the stories and they said, 'We want to make something for the fans,'" Lucas said. "I said, 'All I wanted to do was tell a story of what happened--it started here and it went there. It's all about generations and the issues of fathers and sons and grandfathers.'

"It's a family soap opera," he added. "People don't realize it's actually a soap opera and it's all about family problems--it's not about spaceships. So they decided they didn't want to use those stories; they decided they were going to do their own thing so I decided, 'Fine.'"

The Force Awakens is the first core Star Wars movie that Lucas will have no direct hand in producing. He says Disney wasn't very thrilled about working with Lucas on the movie and the visionary admits that he wouldn't have been of much help, considering his ideas clashed with Disney's.

"But basically, they weren't that keen to have me involved anyway," he said. "But at the same time, I said, 'If I get in there I'm just going to cause trouble, because they're not going to do what I wanted them to do.' And I don't have the control to do that anymore and all I would do is muck everything up.

"So I said, 'OK, I will go my way and I let them go their way.'"

Disney paid $4.05 billion to buy the Star Wars franchise (among other properties) from Lucas in 2012.

He went on to compare his exit from the juggernaut entertainment series to a breakup.

"When you break up with somebody, the first rule is no phone calls," he said. "The second rule, you don't go over to their house and drive by to see what they're doing. The third one is you don't show up at their coffee shop and say you are going to burn it... You just say, 'Nope, gone, history, I'm moving forward.'"

CBS News' full interview with Lucas will air on CBS This Morning in December. The Force Awakens comes to theaters on December 18 with great expectations.

Arthur Wellesley

I do agree with George that it should be about inner family problems. That's what Star Wars is all about for the main trilogy at least. I will be disappointed if Rey and Kylo aren't brother and sister or at the least cousins.
Family "problems" is kinda an understatement though. Can you imagine what Thanksgiving dinner is like for the Skywalker / Solo families? :confused:

"Son, could you pass the gravy please?"
"Oh, you mean with the hand that YOU cut off, Dad???"
"Hey! Don't sass me boy. At least I earned a position of power, unlike y...
"SHUT UP, both of you!"
"These aren't the rolls you're looking for..."

TTA94

I haven't been reading all the discussions about this movie but three of the things I'm concern about is very minimal light saber scenes/battle (like A New Hope), no Luke until episode 8 from what it sounds, and a big cliff hanger until 2017! Ugh!
Sorry to be a downer and I do like Star Wars lol.

Last edited:

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I haven't been reading all the discussions about this movie but three of the things I'm concern about is very minimal light saber scenes/battle (like A New Hope), no Luke until episode 8 from what it sounds, and a big cliff hanger until 2017! Ugh!
Sorry to be a downer and I do like Star Wars lol.

JJ recently said this in an article about the movie...

"We wanted to tell a story that had its own self-contained beginning, middle, and end but at the same time, like A New Hope, implied a history that preceded it and also hinted at a future to follow"

I am hoping they really are going the New Hope route where there isn't an actual cliff hanger, but it's still clear that there is more story to tell.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
JJ recently said this in an article about the movie...

"We wanted to tell a story that had its own self-contained beginning, middle, and end but at the same time, like A New Hope, implied a history that preceded it and also hinted at a future to follow"

I am hoping they really are going the New Hope route where there isn't an actual cliff hanger, but it's still clear that there is more story to tell.
I don't know about that. Do you think anyone will want to see another Star Wars movie if there is not a cliffhanger?;)

In all seriousness, I often wonder why they spend a single dime on Star Wars movie promotion. They could have tweeted a title and release date a week prior to opening and I doubt the box office receipts would even be a dollar lower.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
The track list for the movie soundtrack has been released. No major spoilers like the Episode 1 soundtrack, but some might find this spoilery...

1. Main Title and the Attack on the Jakku Village
2. The Scavenger
3. I Can Fly Anything
4. Rey Meets BB-8
5. Follow Me
6. Rey’s Theme
7. The Falcon
8. That Girl with the Staff
9. The Rathtars!
10. Finn’s Confession
11. Maz’s Counsel
12. The Starkiller
13. Kylo Ren Arrives at the Battle
14. The Abduction
15. Han and Leia
16. March of the Resistance
17. Snoke
18. On the Inside
19. Torn Apart
20. The Ways of the Force
21. Scherzo for X-Wings
22. Farewell and the Trip
23. The Jedi Steps and Finale

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom