News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

Luxe

I enjoyed having my photo with the Space Mickey and Goofy in Epcot in the 80s, though they were free-range in those days rather than caged in a m&g location as they are now. As an adult who has done many adult-only trips in the modern area, the abundance of kids and characters doesn't harsh my mellow nearly as much as the park's failure to thrive on evolution of core concepts rather than reliance on over-hyped festivals and merchandising.

And yet, I still pay.

That post made me laugh quite a bit. I love how you referred to the characters as caged or free range :p

Bring back free range Mickey!!!

VIPguide_2030

EPCOT to me is still a park I look forward to when I go but I do admit it could be much better. It could be my favorite pretty easily. Things I would like to see:

- 3 new dark rides based on movies in WS. Pinocchio (Italy), Ratatouille (France), Mulan (China) & then update the 3 Caballeros with AA's instead of the movie screens. I liked Malestrom but not sure why people act like it was so popular, never waited 20 min.

- I love the upcoming Soarin' update, California theme was getting tired. Update The Land and Circle of Life attractions to current day with new conservation propaganda. I like both they just need to be more current.

- Re-store Imagination to what it was with the Dreamfinder and add new scenes. Use the EO space to expand this. The Dreamfinder and Figment could be this parks Walt & Mickey.

- Update UOE with Ellen and Bill still but with new scenes incorporating today's energy sources and future possibilities. This needs to not be a 45 min attraction and needs more speed. Maybe a Dinosaur type ride vehicle showing Energy sources though time and in the future?

- Bring back WOL pavilion with a new attraction that focuses on the wonders of the human body. It would need to probably be a simulator, maybe virtual reality goggles coaster?

The problem/beauty with this park is you need to update attractions constantly to keep up with progress but if done right is awesome, see the past for proof. This isn't a billion dollar plan and they could do 1 pavilion a year along with 1 dark ride and could be done in 3 years. Now someone snap their fingers and wake me up!

Luxe

They are people who think they are doing their kid a great favor bringing them to WDW as a small child. I think it's useless and I have kids but every time I say it I get flamed. Around 6 is about the earliest should bring kids to the parks because they simply don't get that much out of it. Chuck E. Cheese would be just as fun for the little ones. If you have multiple kids and one small one that's a different matter.

I bring up Chuck E. Cheese because this really happened to me. Got the kids in the car not saying where we were going, never said we were going to Disney. Kids keep asking where we were going so I said Chuck E Cheese and they were all happy. Son noticed we weren't taking the right road so I said we're going to Disney World, he said cool. After we go to Chuck E Cheese right? I said we weren't going to CEC and he looked depressed. LOL. This when he 7 and sister was 6. The parents think they are doing a great thing but the kids like different things at different ages. The little ones just have no idea what's going, it's just a normal day for them. Bringing young children to WDW is totally for the parents benefit.

First off, it's free to bring a child under 2(or maybe it's 3?) so why not bring them if you want to go anyways. Second, that's not a good example as to why you should or should not bring your kids until a certain age. By taking your kids somewhere without telling them and incurring a surprise, they likely envisioned Chuck E Cheese as the most likely place to go. I'm not sure where you're from but assuming you're several hours drive from WDW then that's an unlikely event for your kids to assume the surprise is Disney. When you put an idea into a child's mind of a place(one that most children absolutely love), you can bet they will be disappointed if you take them anywhere but that place.

Old Mouseketeer

Meh. They missed their chance. There has always been an inherent redundancy between Tomorrowland and Future World. How amazing would it have been to make Future World the Star Wars Land with Spaceship Earth turned into the Death Star? The Photoshop versions already out there are inspiring.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
They are people who think they are doing their kid a great favor bringing them to WDW as a small child. I think it's useless and I have kids but every time I say it I get flamed. Around 6 is about the earliest you should bring kids to the parks because they simply don't get that much out of it. Chuck E. Cheese would be just as fun for the little ones. If you have multiple kids and one small one that's a different matter.

I bring up Chuck E. Cheese because this really happened to me. Got the kids in the car not saying where we were going, never said we were going to Disney. Kids keep asking where we were going so I said Chuck E Cheese and they were all happy. Son noticed we weren't taking the right road so I said we're going to Disney World, he said cool. After we go to Chuck E Cheese right? I said we weren't going to CEC and he looked depressed. LOL. This when he 7 and sister was 6. The parents think they are doing a great thing but the kids like different things at different ages. The little ones just have no idea what's going, it's just a normal day for them. Bringing young children to WDW is totally for the parents benefit.

My child had been 8 times by the time she was 6. I had people tell me "she is too young and won't remember it" etc. my response to that is "so what if she doesn't, we all had fun being together, smiling, and taking great family photos that will last a lifetime".

In my opinion if children 6 and under aren't getting anything out of a Disney trip then they are probably doing it wrong.

Nemo14

The past few days I've been going through old pictures and videos preparing a slide show-type thing for my mom's memorial service next week, and I came across some delightful ones from Epcot back in early 90's when my kids were little. We used to take them to WDW every summer as part of a 3-week vacation to visit my family members in FL. EPCOT was always a 2-day plan for us - one day in Future World, and one day in World Showcase, and I never remember them complaining about that at all. In fact the look on their faces in some of those shots is just pure joy and occasional wonder. I miss that!

Disone

Differing interests and boredom still don't justify diluting theme. If your daughter isn't interested then don't drag her there.

I am sure there is a small populations but I don't know any six year olds that will appreciate WS for its cultures and diversity. There is nothing wrong with adding something they will appreciate. And isn't that the point? Now she does not have to drag her 6 year old there, because they can go experience it together. This is not diluting of theme just because they have kidcot stations. Epcot is stilll Disney, and Disney is still something that the entire family is suppose to enjoy together. If Kidcot stations, agent P games, a few play grounds, character meet and greets keep the kids with their parents as the parents enjoy Impressions de France, The American Adventure, shopping and a good meal.... then mission accomplished.

lazyboy97o

I am sure there is a small populations but I don't know any six year olds that will appreciate WS for its cultures and diversity. There is nothing wrong with adding something they will appreciate. And isn't that the point? Now she does not have to drag her 6 year old there, because they can go experience it together. This is not diluting of theme just because they have kidcot stations. Epcot is stilll Disney, and Disney is still something that the entire family is suppose to enjoy together. If Kidcot stations, agent P games, a few play grounds, character meet and greets keep the kids with their parents as the parents enjoy Impressions de France, The American Adventure, shopping and a good meal.... then mission accomplished.
No, not mission accomplished because it is just segregating and talking down, both of which are in opposition to that notion of family entertainment. EPCOT Center being boring and less popular is a lie.

Luxe

The past few days I've been going through old pictures and videos preparing a slide show-type thing for my mom's memorial service next week, and I came across some delightful ones from Epcot back in early 90's when my kids were little. We used to take them to WDW every summer as part of a 3-week vacation to visit my family members in FL. EPCOT was always a 2-day plan for us - one day in Future World, and one day in World Showcase, and I never remember them complaining about that at all. In fact the look on their faces in some of those shots is just pure joy and occasional wonder. I miss that!

Sorry for your loss. It's great that you have some old photos to cherish those memories. I'm inspired to go through some old photo books from WDW with my family now so thank you for reminding me of that!

Luxe

No, not mission accomplished because it is just segregating and talking down, both of which are in opposition to that notion of family entertainment. EPCOT Center being boring and less popular is a lie.

That's one thing I always loved about Walt, he never talked down to kids he rather spoke to them as peers. If Snow Whites Scary Adventure was proposed to the execs today, they would shut it down instantly saying it's too scary for kids. Kind of shows the direction of the company over the years has changed from what Walt wanted Disney World to represent.

Nemo14

Sorry for your loss. It's great that you have some old photos to cherish those memories. I'm inspired to go through some old photo books from WDW with my family now so thank you for reminding me of that!

Thank you.

One thing I realized going through those photos is that we take an awful lot of pictures of "things" and not enough of "people".

brb1006

I actually love the Disney characters at Epcot including World Showcase. Come at me Classic Epcot fans!
tumblr_n2orqzzl3M1tvy7qao1_r1_500.gif

Last edited:

RSoxNo1

EPCOT to me is still a park I look forward to when I go but I do admit it could be much better. It could be my favorite pretty easily. Things I would like to see:

- 3 new dark rides based on movies in WS. Pinocchio (Italy), Ratatouille (France), Mulan (China) & then update the 3 Caballeros with AA's instead of the movie screens. I liked Malestrom but not sure why people act like it was so popular, never waited 20 min.

- I love the upcoming Soarin' update, California theme was getting tired. Update The Land and Circle of Life attractions to current day with new conservation propaganda. I like both they just need to be more current.

- Re-store Imagination to what it was with the Dreamfinder and add new scenes. Use the EO space to expand this. The Dreamfinder and Figment could be this parks Walt & Mickey.

- Update UOE with Ellen and Bill still but with new scenes incorporating today's energy sources and future possibilities. This needs to not be a 45 min attraction and needs more speed. Maybe a Dinosaur type ride vehicle showing Energy sources though time and in the future?

- Bring back WOL pavilion with a new attraction that focuses on the wonders of the human body. It would need to probably be a simulator, maybe virtual reality goggles coaster?

The problem/beauty with this park is you need to update attractions constantly to keep up with progress but if done right is awesome, see the past for proof. This isn't a billion dollar plan and they could do 1 pavilion a year along with 1 dark ride and could be done in 3 years. Now someone snap their fingers and wake me up!
No. No more characters in World Showcase.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom