The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Harry Caray's simply amazing Thanksgiving feast. Aged rib eye steak. Slurp.

CUxgWasWUAA6olU.jpg

Gabe1

I remember someone complained that the last year's christmas parade TV special, looked more like an AD for Disney Vacation Club.

The parades have been very much infomercials for a decade. When my kids were small the parade was on Christmas morning. It made the Magic Kingdom crazy but is was very much a parade of WDW. Back then I wondered if Disneyland and the Western States aired a their own parade or saw a time delay of WDW.

On Christmas morning we'd eat at Ohana and Monorail past the MK look down at all the nuttiness and head to Epcot. Epcot was always peaceful on Christmas Day.

Gabe1

Thought I'd pop back in here for a few minutes. Hubby is out at a Thanksgiving Day road race for a few hours; his running time is usually pretty good, so I'm looking forward to seeing how his placement is this year. :)

Since our Thanksgiving restaurant feast isn't until this afternoon, I decided to bake a pumpkin bread this morning, and I also made a stove-top cranberry chutney. Needless to say, my dog, Jack, was underfoot. He was in shock, I think, as I don't cook or bake that often. He had this blank look on his face with every little spice jar I'd open (although that may also have something to do with me cursing the "safety seal" on all those stupid little jars. They're a pain in the neck to open. :banghead: )

Had to open up a box of raisins and it was sealed, too--so I open up the top of the box with a knife, and the box slips, and raisins go flying all over the kitchen table and floor. :mad: Now, Jack was elated at the sight of airborne food, and he dove for every raisin on the floor!! :rolleyes: Luckily, the box was large enough, that half the raisins were still inside, which was more than enough for the chutney recipe.

When the pumpkin bread was done in the oven, I took it out to cool on a rack. But I think I took it out of the pan too soon, (maybe it's supposed to cool in the pan a bit?) because it sort of broke into thirds when I tried to put it on the rack. :( I know it was cooked through as I tested it while it was in the oven, with a knife that came out clean. Cooking. Ugh.

Oh Jack! Raisins. Wonder what all those raisins will do to his digestive system by tomorrow. Eeek. But at least he received a special Thanksgiving Day treat.

I hope further on we hear how hubby did in his race.

And breads I usually leave about 10 minutes in the pan and then dump out onto rack.

Gabe1

My mom always did stuffing from a box, which I preferred. My aunt made hers from scratch, but put way too much sage in it.
Green bean casserole has always been my favorite. My mom used to set it at the other end of the table to give others the chance to get some before I hogged it all.

My DD and I glom up green bean casserole too. I don't care for boxed stuffing but I agree with the sage, most people put in way too much and it isn't pleasant. I do an Irish version of stuffing that is very moist and sage is not one of the ingredients.

Gabe1

I have never liked that song...as a kid I thought it was creepy. Random strangers telling a little boy "Hey, come with us! Wanna see a baby?" And I've never been able to get over that. That, and Do you Hear what I Hear are my least favorite Christmas songs I think. Love Pentatonix, though...they are great!

There are a few Christmas carols on my cringe list. Little Drummer ranks right up there.

Gabe1

poutine = french fries with gravy and cheese?

For the most part Canadians make poutine better than what we call poutine down here. I don't know if it the type of gravy and the cheese ratio or what. Most of what I've had here in the states is a glop of gravy and a glop of cheese smothering the fries. The Canadians seem to be more artful with the drizzling of gravy and cheese, more artfully.

Figgy1

Premium Member
Do you get creative with leftovers? My mom invented a rice dish to use up all our leftovers from thanksgiving. She pulled the turkey apart, added the gravy and some mushrooms and served it over rice.
We have leftovers yea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Tonight is good old turkey sandwiches. Tomorrow BBQ. Sunday turkey stew. I lucked out with the nice weather some of the 20 something cousins didn't show as they went to the parade in the city and then out with their friends. Needless to say their parents weren't happy. I'm freezing some of the extras to play around with later. The only veggie that's left is salad LOL so it looks like I may have to cook later. Who knew brussels sprouts would be popular:confused: Everybody had a bit of meat but the sides really went this year as did the gravy from the smoked turkey.

Figgy1

Premium Member
I'm assuming that's 2 1/2, not 21 1/2? The Dutch don't bake meat. A lot of people don't even have ovens. Everything is done on the stove, so I can't get a ham, or a turkey, or a chicken, or a pot roast. No stuffing a bird for me. The first year I came over here, I was determined to have a real Thanksgiving with my In-laws. But my inlaws didn't have a real oven...they have this thing called a magnetron, which is a microwave sized thing that is a combination oven and microwave. So I measured the inside, and went and bought a roasting pan that would fit inside it. Then I measured the inside of the pan and took my tape measure to a big Sam's Club type store because that was the only place to get a turkey. I measured every turkey they had and had to get the smallest turkey....a 9 lb turkey, and it still didn't quite fit in the pan, so I had to cover the pan with tin foil and put the lid on top. Kind of funny, looking back, but it was a pain!!
Even with all the cooking I do I don't use my oven as much as I used to. I use my countertop convection for smaller items. I also make multiple items when I run the big oven. I'll do meatloaf and loaf breads at the same time to fill it up.

Figgy1

Premium Member
Good morning I hope all of you here in the states had a magical holiday. I have to go shopping today for are you ready for it food. Yes food and it's not funny! I'm out of onions and all the brussels sprouts I made are gone, I'm down to my last lemon and I'm almost out of salad. The only good thing is my supermarket is running a special on their gift card rack today and my inlaws finally decided on what store they want one from for Christmas. I was trying to stay home today:hilarious: At least there's almost no cleaning as my boys got almost every last dish done and cleaned the kitchen before they left.:joyfull:

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I'm assuming that's 2 1/2, not 21 1/2? The Dutch don't bake meat. A lot of people don't even have ovens. Everything is done on the stove, so I can't get a ham, or a turkey, or a chicken, or a pot roast. No stuffing a bird for me. The first year I came over here, I was determined to have a real Thanksgiving with my In-laws. But my inlaws didn't have a real oven...they have this thing called a magnetron, which is a microwave sized thing that is a combination oven and microwave. So I measured the inside, and went and bought a roasting pan that would fit inside it. Then I measured the inside of the pan and took my tape measure to a big Sam's Club type store because that was the only place to get a turkey. I measured every turkey they had and had to get the smallest turkey....a 9 lb turkey, and it still didn't quite fit in the pan, so I had to cover the pan with tin foil and put the lid on top. Kind of funny, looking back, but it was a pain!!

Wow. That was some interesting trivia. I was very surprised to hear that some of the Dutch people don't even have ovens, but do all their cooking on the range top. I wonder if they're the only country that does that. I thought every country cooked with some form of oven. That was quite the effort on your part to figure out how to cook the turkey! You get extra points for that effort!!! :happy:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom