The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Happy Thanksgiving Friends. Wishing you and your families a wonderful day.

HappyThanksgiving_resized.jpg

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Thought I'd pop back in here for a few minutes. Hubby is out at a Thanksgiving Day road race for a few hours; his running time is usually pretty good, so I'm looking forward to seeing how his placement is this year. :)

Since our Thanksgiving restaurant feast isn't until this afternoon, I decided to bake a pumpkin bread this morning, and I also made a stove-top cranberry chutney. Needless to say, my dog, Jack, was underfoot. He was in shock, I think, as I don't cook or bake that often. He had this blank look on his face with every little spice jar I'd open (although that may also have something to do with me cursing the "safety seal" on all those stupid little jars. They're a pain in the neck to open. :banghead: )

Had to open up a box of raisins and it was sealed, too--so I open up the top of the box with a knife, and the box slips, and raisins go flying all over the kitchen table and floor. :mad: Now, Jack was elated at the sight of airborne food, and he dove for every raisin on the floor!! :rolleyes: Luckily, the box was large enough, that half the raisins were still inside, which was more than enough for the chutney recipe.

When the pumpkin bread was done in the oven, I took it out to cool on a rack. But I think I took it out of the pan too soon, (maybe it's supposed to cool in the pan a bit?) because it sort of broke into thirds when I tried to put it on the rack. :( I know it was cooked through as I tested it while it was in the oven, with a knife that came out clean. Cooking. Ugh.

donaldtoo

I cook my turkey both inside the bird and outside (in a crock pot). I guess I have a recipe, but I don't really measure and amounts can be changed depending on what I need. Here's how I make it.....I finely chop onion and celery and saute it until they are really soft in butter (at least a cup, perhaps more). While those are cooking, I put the dry bread cubes in a big bowl (I use one bag of herb seasoned and one bag unseasoned) and with the bread cubes I liberally salt and pepper it and pour in a can of chicken broth. I also season with dried sage, this I don't measure but I might start out with about a 1/2 tablespoon to 3/4 a tablespoon. Then I add the onions/celery and butter to the bread cubes. I mix it with a spoon and let the butter cool for a few minutes. Then I mush it up with my hands, added more broth, sage, salt and pepper as needed (I taste test as I go, my husband is my taster now, as I used to be the taster with my mom). Then I let it sit in the refrigerator over night so the flavors blend.

So there is my recipe of sorts.

Yep, same here. Stuffing in the bird and then a separate extra pan too. :)

Songbird76

As I was making my stuffing this morning. I tried to pay attention to how much sage I was putting in and it was probably in total about 21 1/2 tablespoons and I used 2 and a half bags of bread cubes. You could probably stuff it in a chicken, goose, or some other bird and get a similar effect.
I'm assuming that's 2 1/2, not 21 1/2? The Dutch don't bake meat. A lot of people don't even have ovens. Everything is done on the stove, so I can't get a ham, or a turkey, or a chicken, or a pot roast. No stuffing a bird for me. The first year I came over here, I was determined to have a real Thanksgiving with my In-laws. But my inlaws didn't have a real oven...they have this thing called a magnetron, which is a microwave sized thing that is a combination oven and microwave. So I measured the inside, and went and bought a roasting pan that would fit inside it. Then I measured the inside of the pan and took my tape measure to a big Sam's Club type store because that was the only place to get a turkey. I measured every turkey they had and had to get the smallest turkey....a 9 lb turkey, and it still didn't quite fit in the pan, so I had to cover the pan with tin foil and put the lid on top. Kind of funny, looking back, but it was a pain!!

Songbird76

I love sage, this would taste great! I also love celery and thyme, only a little in my stuffing. Sometimes I add a beaten egg. I don't know why but that is what Mom would do. So funny , how we carry on traditions. DD does everything from a box, it's fine with me, as I don't have to cook. She has never liked food or cooking. Her hubby makes traditional sweet potatoes, and green bean casserole. They smell so good, but it has milk so I only "smell". :D
My mom always did stuffing from a box, which I preferred. My aunt made hers from scratch, but put way too much sage in it.
Green bean casserole has always been my favorite. My mom used to set it at the other end of the table to give others the chance to get some before I hogged it all.

donaldtoo

I'm moving in with you. Pecan pie is my all time favorite kind of pie. I love pecans. I buy several bags each year. They are great to snack on too!

Yep, they're great to snack on, too. :hungry:
My folks always have bags and bags of 'em. They keep plenty to use, give a bunch away, and also sometimes wholesale them to stands to sell.
The squirrels end up gettin' the rest. ;)

donaldtoo

Can anyone spot the hidden Mickey?
View attachment 120645

Hubby thought this was a fun sign.
View attachment 120646

View attachment 120647

View attachment 120648
This was interesting too.

View attachment 120649

Had to hop a bus back to the Swan, hubby forgot his Food and Wine passport and we wanted to get it stamped to get the free annual passholder port wine glass.
View attachment 120650

View attachment 120651

View attachment 120652

Hidden remy at the France area.
View attachment 120653

Vanilla and chocolate crème brulee and beef Bourguignon, both were very tasty.
View attachment 120656

Yes, but, if I think it's what you're referring to, the head is way too small for the ears. ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom