Dinner: Ohana vs. Chef Mickeys??

Madisyn637

Original Poster
Need help deciding between Ohanas dinner at 4:55 and Chef Mickeys at 6:45(hoping to see the fireworks) On 12/23. I already have Chef Mickeys Xmas brunch planned on 12/25. Just wondering if the food and experience at Ohanas beats eating at Chef Mickeys to see the fireworks. Thanks in advance!

Jae99

If you already have one CM reservation, definitely go for O'hanas. Time your reservation so that you will be seated when the fireworks occur. I would also suggest asking for a window seat.

Tom P.

I'm not sure what forum etiquette is. Are we allowed to mention a competitor to this site? :)

I watch the DIS Unplugged podcast and am a particular fan of the dining reviews they do. But something I find peculiar is that they gave 'Ohana a very bad review, whereas I generally hear people rave about it. We've never been, but might consider it on a future trip, so I'm curious what others think about their review of it vs. your experiences.

Here's the review:

If it's not appropriate to discuss or post The DIS stuff here, then mods please feel free to delete this.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
I'm not sure what forum etiquette is. Are we allowed to mention a competitor to this site? :)

I watch the DIS Unplugged podcast and am a particular fan of the dining reviews they do. But something I find peculiar is that they gave 'Ohana a very bad review, whereas I generally hear people rave about it. We've never been, but might consider it on a future trip, so I'm curious what others think about their review of it vs. your experiences.

Here's the review:

If it's not appropriate to discuss or post The DIS stuff here, then mods please feel free to delete this.

I did not need to watch this review because our last two 'Ohana experiences were awful. The first one we wrote off as just a fluke (since we had been several times before) but the next visit was worse and we declared ourselves done with 'Ohana. We do not use the DDP and 'Ohana has become much too expensive for inattentive or rushed service (we had both), undercooked meat, limp salad, and greasy wings.

We don't have children to participate in the games offered (coconut races, hula) so it is very noisy when "Auntie" gets the children going. It is done in fun, but if you want a quieter experience you won't get it at 'Ohana.

HouCuseChickie

Here's the review:

LOVE John's and Kevin's reviews. I don't always agree with them, but they are interesting and entertaining.

HouCuseChickie

To OP...not sure if food has improved, but the last time we went to Chef Mickey's for dinner, the food was downright vile. Everything I tried was gross and wound up gorging myself at breakfast the next morning to make up for how little I'd eaten the night before. 'Ohana dinner experiences vary, but the food I've had at 'Ohana dinner on our various visits (even the meh ones) was leaps and bounds ahead of the yuck at Chef Mickey's.

As far as fireworks go, I'd much rather watch from the Poly than the Contemporary...especially if you're going to be seeing Holiday Wishes with all of the perimeter effects. Contemporary sits off to the side and while it's an interesting vantage point, especially from Cali Grill, you are aligned with the castle if you're viewing it from the Poly. So, you're seeing it from the angle from which it was intended to be viewed if you stick with the Poly.

JTT

'Ohana the food is much much better than Chef Mickey.

Chef Mickey is typical buffet food but it's a fun experience. The characters, the staff, the atmosphere all combine to make it a great time.

Little kids would like Chef Mickey's better. The adults would prefer 'Ohana.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom