Florida SunPass?

Raineman

Original Poster
The family and I will be driving from Ontario to WDW at the end of February, and I was wondering if it would be worth it to buy one of those $4.99 mini SunPass transponders for the toll booths on the FL turnpike and SR 429. Do these type of things let you get through the toll booths quicker? Do you have to stop to let the scanner pick up the SunPass, or can you drive right through? We do not have highway toll booths here in Canada, so it's not something that I'm familiar with.

lazyboy97o

There are two ways SunPass is taken depending on the setup of the toll area. On the Turnpike from I-75 where there are still full width toll plazas you will slow down to 25 mph and drive through the SunPass booth. On SR 429 the cash toll booths are to the side and those with SunPass just keep driving at the posted speed limit. Another benefit, besides ease of use, is that the toll rate for those using SunPass is slightly lower than the rate for those paying cash.

Do also know that the SunPass Mini is intended to only be used with one car, so you can't take it out after this trip and put it back in later or another car.

WillCAD

I checked into the SunPass last year and found that it just didn't make financial sense. It saves very little time at a toll plaza - generally no more than a few seconds - costs extra, and can't be moved from vehicle to vehicle.

If you're only in Orlando once or twice a year, it's a better option to simply bring a roll of quarters with you. Having quarters is convenient when there are automated exact-change lanes, which every toll plaza that I've seen in central Florida has. And it costs you nothing extra except a minute or two at the first place you stop in the US (just ask any fast food or grocery or store cashier if you can buy a roll of quarters; the US rolls are $10).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom