First Trip. Did I Forget Anything??

Ariel4711

Hi all! :)

My husband and I are taking our girls on our very first trip (yes, first trip for both of us, too) to WDW in 20 days and I am starting to panic. I feel like I'm forgetting important details; HELP please!

I have done tons of research on here and other sites/blogs; spoken with family/friends who have gone to WDW multiple times; etc. We have the Park Hopper and got the Deluxe DP. I know we won't be able to fit everything in to our trip, especially since we will only be there for 4 days, so I have prioritized some things and am hoping to knock those out.

As of right now, our schedule looks like this:
Day 1
9am ADR at Hollywood & Vine
Stay in HS, FP+ TSMM, TOT, SWST(all before 2:30pm)
3pm check in at AOA (did early online check in)
Maybe go to Fantasmic..? Suggestions please.

Day 2
8am ADR at Tusker House
Day in AK (EM hour day), FP+ end around 1pm
Hoping to walk around and check out the animals in AK, specifically the giraffes (my youngest has never seen one and it's her fave animal)
6pm ADR at Rainforest Café (I know, I know -- the food isn't great, but we're going for our daughters)
Nothing scheduled after that.

Day 3
8am ADR at Crystal Palace
Day in MK; FP+
Considering going back to AOA for a break around 12 noon. Thoughts?
4pm ADR at CRT
MVMCP that evening (hence the mid-day break)

Day 4
No plans at all, except for maybe sleeping in ;) Open to any suggestions/recommendations you all have.

So here is a HUGE question I have -- should we drive to and from the parks and AOA?? (We will have our car)
I have heard so many negative things about Disney transportation, but I have also heard good things. I am SUPER nervous about the idea of going back to AOA midday on Day 3 and then being able to make it to our 4pm ADR at CRT on time if we use the buses. PLEASE HELP!

Another question -- is it worth using a FP+ on a character M&G? I know A&E are crazy popular, but I would hate to use up a FP+ for this. I was thinking of trying to meet them towards the end of the night when we go to MVMCP. Does anyone know if this may work?

Last question -- realistically, how much should we expect to spend while at WDW? I am having such a hard time gauging this because of the fact that we already have our meal plan/food included. We are planning on limiting our girls to only 2 souvenirs/toys each and don't plan on doing much shopping. We want to spend our time in the parks.
I also found out recently that there are tolls on the way to WDW, which I didn't realize. (Don't judge -- the only other times I've gone to FL I have gone to Miami ;) )

Is there anything else I am missing or forgetting?? (Sorry for making this so long!)
Any and all suggestions/recommendations/bits of advice are greatly appreciated! :)

mouse_luv

I haven't had time to read anything else in this thread but the OP's post, but I do want to say this to the OP.
First of all relax and be willing to "wing it" a bit, it ends up happening if you plan it or not. Everything will be fine! :)
Also, the giraffes are not able to be seen at AK unless you are on the safari. If giraffes are a priority, see if you can take a bus over to AKL-Jambo or Kidani because they have viewing areas where you can watch the giraffes on their savannas as well as other great African animals and also talk to CM's from Africa about their country/continent. I had a great discussion with a CM from Tanzania last time I was there in June we talked for awhile and he was surprised I knew where he was actually from and some about his country. It's a great time. Have fun!

Upvote 0

Beckett

Awesome, thank you! My husband and I were about $100 each would be fair, but I wanted to check with those of you who have experience with this ;)

My girls' favorite princesses are Ariel and Cinderella, so I do think we will be ok without seeing the great A&E. My thinking behind our Character Meals was that that time would be used to do M&G, if you will, and then we could use FP+ for actual rides. Hopefully my youngest will be ok with that... haha!

I will def do some kind of a trip report when we get back, thanks! :)
I agree! I only use my fastpasses for rides ;) have fun!!!

Upvote 0

Beckett

Oh, and Ariel's meet and greet is usually available when booking the extra fastpasses in the booths, this is how I got my daughter to actually stop for a minute and do a meet and greet (she is a ride lover) because she loves Ariel and she didn't have to waste any ride fastpasses ;)

Upvote 0

Ariel4711

Original Poster
Answering Your Questions:
Maybe go to Fantasmic..? Yes absolutely, if the kids are young there are frightening images and loud noises but for the most part this is a home run for our family.

Good to know, thank you! :)

Nothing scheduled after that. Go back and enjoy your resorts pool, according to "Unofficial Guide's" research team the number one memory of a kids Disney vacation? Swimming in the resort pool.

Definitely planning on going to the Nemo pool at some point during our stay!

Considering going back to AOA for a break around 12 noon. Thoughts? 100% yes, my kids always need a break especially on Hard Ticket Party Days, if you don't take the break you will have sleepy, grumpy kids that night.

I figured as much, thanks ;)

No plans at all, except for maybe sleeping in ;) Open to any suggestions/recommendations you all have. I am guessing you have three day base tickets and that is why you have no Epcot? Stay the resort or do Disney Springs. Catch the Good Dinosaur at Disney.

We actually do have 4 day tickets (with park hopper) but since I figured we would want to sleep in that day, I didn't want to schedule anything for the morning. We were also are considering going back to MK in the morning for a bit, then going to Epcot.

Your going to spend about $15 on tolls. The tips for your meals are the biggest hidden expense, get ready to blow $30-40 on that per table service meal. Your also going to be tipping your baggage person since you are going to the park before you can check in.
Thank you!! Having a price range helps SO MUCH! :)

Most importantly like Dizdadmoz stated "Relax"! You've made your "plan" but do not stick to it to the detriment of your vacation. Just my opinion I might have scheduled AK or DHS day on your MVMCP night. That way you could have had another entire day at MK but I don't mean to stress you out ;)
I am definitely working on trying to relax, and leave some time for being spontaneous. Thanks again for all of your help!!! I appreciate you answering all of my questions!! :D

Upvote 0

Ariel4711

Original Poster
Oh, and Ariel's meet and greet is usually available when booking the extra fastpasses in the booths, this is how I got my daughter to actually stop for a minute and do a meet and greet (she is a ride lover) because she loves Ariel and she didn't have to waste any ride fastpasses ;)
YAY! :D
I am a huge Ariel fan, too, so this makes me happy.

Upvote 0

Ariel4711

Original Poster
I haven't had time to read anything else in this thread but the OP's post, but I do want to say this to the OP.
First of all relax and be willing to "wing it" a bit, it ends up happening if you plan it or not. Everything will be fine! :)
Also, the giraffes are not able to be seen at AK unless you are on the safari. If giraffes are a priority, see if you can take a bus over to AKL-Jambo or Kidani because they have viewing areas where you can watch the giraffes on their savannas as well as other great African animals and also talk to CM's from Africa about their country/continent. I had a great discussion with a CM from Tanzania last time I was there in June we talked for awhile and he was surprised I knew where he was actually from and some about his country. It's a great time. Have fun!
Thank you!! :)
I purposefully didn't make an ADR for our first night there, or schedule anything at all for our last day. I figure that will be our time to be spontaneous ;)

Thank you for letting me know about the giraffes. Our youngest LOVES them, but unfortunately, the National Zoo here in DC hasn't had giraffes since before she was born, so she has never actually seen one. We do have a FP+ for KS the day we are in AK, but I will also look into going to AKL.

Thanks again!

Upvote 0

GeoDonJac34

Thank you!!
Now for my question -- do you mean that I can walk or boat from HS to Epcot, or do you mean in general? I have heard the boat ride into MK is worthwhile, but I also heard that would mean we have to drive there first.
I know WL has the boat that also takes you to MK, and I was considering that, but I'm not totally sure how that would work. (I'm assuming we would have to park at WL first?)
I wasn't sure if you knew that DHS and Epcot were close to one another. This is something that took us a few trips to realize. We take advantage every trip. There is a walking path or boat to and from the two parks. Since you have the park hopper, I thought that maybe if you felt like heading to Epcot you could take a quick trip over.

Upvote 0

Ariel4711

Original Poster
I wasn't sure if you knew that DHS and Epcot were close to one another. This is something that took us a few trips to realize. We take advantage every trip. There is a walking path or boat to and from the two parks. Since you have the park hopper, I thought that maybe if you felt like heading to Epcot you could take a quick trip over.
Thank you!! :)
I will keep this in mind when we go to DHS.

Upvote 0

SAV

My only question to you is if you "need" the Deluxe Dining Plan? That is a lot of food and if you figure an hour to 1.5 hours minimum per sit down meal, you are spending quite a bit of your day in a restaurant and not touring the parks. Especially when you are only in the parks for 4 days. You should give some thought to downgrading to the regular Dining Plan to give you more time in the parks and save some money. Especially since you don't have many ADR's and getting in may be harder than you think. Quick Service has some good places and it isn't all just Burgers and fries.

I always drive to the parks, even MK. To me an MK trip isn't complete until I get on the Monorail and hear "Please stand clear of the doors".

As for Day 4...what is this "sleeping in" thing you speak of? You are only in the parks for 4 days, so get up, get out and get to the parks. Sleep when you are home. But this is coming from a park commando who gets there at open and doesn't leave the park until close. We never left, even when the kids were little and they did more than fine. Only you know your kids and if a break is necessary.

Also, don't sell Epcot short. My daughter is now 14, but it is her favorite park and has been for as long as she can remember. Walking the countries is fabulous and make sure they do their Kid Cot stops at each one.

Upvote 0

harryk

We usually do DHS and Epcot in the same day. Not sure if you know, but you can walk or boat to and from the parks.
Yes - boat leaves from the International Gateway, stops at Boardwalk, Yacht & Beach Club, Swan & Dolphin and then DHS. Walkway is reached from both sides of lagoon at the Boardwalk and Yacht & Beach Club. After passing Boardwalk, the path follows the canal on the Boardwalk Side all the way to DHS. There is a bridge from Swan/Dolphin to the walkway.

Upvote 0

PinnySmart

You should really think about downgrading your deluxe dining plan. Spontaneous table service dining is not realistic during the Holiday season so it just seems like a waste to have all of those credits go unused.

Upvote 0

rob0519

Good luck on your first visit. We always have a car as well and drive to Hollywood Studios, Animal Kingdom and Epcot. For us it seems easier than taking the bus. For the MK we always take the bus or monorail depending on where we are staying.

Upvote 0

Tom P.

Thank you! :)

I left the other meals up in the air because I didn't want to bog us down with ADRs. Whereas I love to plan, my husband is very spontaneous, so I have a feeling that after spending some time in DHS (day 1) he is going to want to hop to another park in the evening. Same thing for Day 4 -- I didn't schedule any ADRs because I figured we would sleep in and then hop between 2 parks that day.
Our must-do ADR was CRT (2 credits), which we did get just before we go to MVMCP. (It will be an early dinner/late lunch.)
I agree with what others have said here. I'd downgrade to the standard dining plan and save the money. The deluxe dining plan is quite a bit more, and if you're not doing all table service, I just don't see how it makes financial sense.

I think you're idea to not overplan and allow for some spontaneity is wonderful, but you're not likely to find table service restaurants available on a walk-up basis, particularly during the Christmas season. Which means you'll likely end up doing counter service restaurants outside of your ADRs, and that undermines the value of the deluxe plan. Yes, you'll have the benefit of extra table service credits to use at CRT, but I still don't think that offsets all the extra cost of the deluxe plan.

FWIW, we've made several trips with our five young children. The oldest is just now getting ready to turn 9. We *love* the dining plan. Wouldn't travel without it. But we always do the standard plan and find that, even while doing a bunch of character meals and other ADRs, it's plenty for us. On our last trip, we did CRT as well as Be Our Guest, Chef Mickey's, etc. and even a Fantasmic dining package at Hollywood Studios. The little bit extra that we ended up paying for out of pocket because we used 2 credits up at CRT still was nowhere near what we would have paid for the deluxe plan. And we almost always felt like we had plenty of food each day.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom