Season Of The Force - Tomorrowland Overlay Opens November 16th

D

Deleted member 107043

There comes a point though where a 'review' is so seething with utter unrelated nonsense and spins everything into a negative, that the entire point of the matter has been completely lost.

Welcome to the wonderful world of nerdy Disney online discussions. The same people so quick to offer dismissive assessments of almost any low budget change or addition will be just as quick to wax on and on about how incredible they think Mr. Toad's Wild Ride is.

I'm willing to give SOTF the benefit of the doubt, but I don't see much of a reason for this Disneyland/Star Wars fan to fly or drive down to OC to experience it.

Last edited by a moderator:

George Lucas on a Bench

Welcome to the wonderful world of nerdy Disney online discussions. The same people so quick to offer dismissive assessments of almost any low budget change or addition will be just as quick to wax on and on about how incredible they think Mr. Toad's Wild Ride is.

It is incredible.To me anyway, there's kind of a ginormous difference between a little old spookhouse ride and a building with a footprint the size of Space Mountain being used for this junk.

lazyboy97o

I was buying into Andy Castro's scathing review until he got to the part where the friends he went with were able to translate the alien language of Aurebesh and found that the writing on the walls was grammatically incorrect, and that made them angry. If I had been there with them, I would slowly back away from the group and catch the next monorail to Trader Sam's for a stiff drink back in reality. :cool:

If you are the type of person who likes to translate Aurabesh in your spare time, I can see where Launch Bay might disappoint you. Everyone else should enjoy the 20 minutes it takes to wander through this new two-level exhibit space.
It's not translating. This isn't some full on language. It's almost entirely a character replacement with a few ligatures. Improper grammar means the attitude was to not bother to proof read the text. Would you be so dismissive if it was in the traditional Latin alphabet?

Eckert

It's likely just like Talking Mickey at Magic Kingdom. A CM in another room is watching, and choose pre recorded sayings to play back to the guest in the experience. There can be delay while they figure out what the best response they can give is to what has been said... Awkwardness does happen....
I'm almost 100% sure this is what's happening.

George Lucas on a Bench

As you wish. Of course. Very well. As you wish. Of course. Very well. As you wish. Of course. Very well. As you wish. Of course. Very well. As you wish. Of course. Very well. As you wish. Of course. Very well. As you wish. Of course. Very well. As you wish. Of course. Very well. As you wish. Of course. Very well. As you wish. Of course. Very well. As you wish. Of course. Very well. As you wish. Of course. Very well.

yookeroo

I think I'll echo TP2000. "If you are the type of person who likes to translate Aurabesh in your spare time, I can see where Launch Bay might disappoint you. Everyone else should enjoy the 20 minutes it takes to wander through this new two-level exhibit space."

That it's English in an unreadable alphabet makes no difference.

George Lucas on a Bench

I don't really know the story with the Star Wars language, but the Indiana Jones queue line has those hieroglyphics that you were encouraged to decode and people still gush over. "The details! Oh, those Imagineers!" I guess people that want to do that in the Star Wars walkthrough are just sad weirdos?

Phroobar

It's like an easter egg in a video game. It's fun to see if there are any hidden messages on the walls that no one else sees. c-3PO's control panel at Star Tours is full of them. It's too bad they went with style over surprises. Hopefully SWL is full of stuff like that.

TP2000

Original Poster
It's English written on a wall. Switching the font to Dingbats doesn't make the writing a different language.

I didn't even know Aurebesh was a made-up alphabet using English letters. Somehow that makes it even nerdier, and more pointless. Frankly, until I read the Miceage review I didn't even know Aurebesh was a thing. Whatever its composition, it's a fake alien language in a movie exhibit in a theme park. That it's grammatically incorrect, or meaningless, means absolutely nothing for the future of the Walt Disney Company and the themed entertainment industry. Both will survive.

Are there still Fastpasses available for Hyperspace Mountain? That's what folks really want to know! :D

lazyboy97o

I didn't even know Aurebesh was a made-up alphabet using English letters. Somehow that makes it even nerdier, and more pointless. Frankly, until I read the Miceage review I didn't even know Aurebesh was a thing. Whatever its composition, it's a fake alien language in a movie exhibit in a theme park. That it's grammatically incorrect, or meaningless, means absolutely nothing for the future of the Walt Disney Company and the themed entertainment industry. Both will survive.

Are there still Fastpasses available for Hyperspace Mountain? That's what folks really want to know! :D
It means that Disney didn't care enough to proof read English. It is a poor attitude towards a property they are putting so much behind.

TP2000

Original Poster
I don't really know the story with the Star Wars language, but the Indiana Jones queue line has those hieroglyphics that you were encouraged to decode and people still gush over. "The details! Oh, those Imagineers!" I guess people that want to do that in the Star Wars walkthrough are just sad weirdos?

That was a queue game dreamed up to keep both the sponsor and the four hour line satisfied.

D--lp-gen-Media-guide-att-225--1032_400_300.jpg

In the days before cell phones and Fastpass, the lines for E Tickets could stretch to hours and hours during busy seasons. AT&T as the big sponsor of Indiana Jones Adventure, Presented by AT&T wanted a giveaway to keep people in the queue occupied and simultaneously looking at their company logo and marketing slogan. 1995's "Know The Code" campaign for long distance dialing, and 1996-97's "AT&T Choose Wisely" campaign when people were choosing other phone carriers in big numbers.

IndianaJonesAdventureCardFront1995.jpg

TP2000

Original Poster
I think I'll echo TP2000. "If you are the type of person who likes to translate Aurabesh in your spare time, I can see where Launch Bay might disappoint you. Everyone else should enjoy the 20 minutes it takes to wander through this new two-level exhibit space."

That it's English in an unreadable alphabet makes no difference.

No kidding.

Before the Miceage article, how many dozens of people on the planet even knew Aurebesh was a thing or would know to try and read it?

lazyboy97o

No kidding.

Before the Miceage article, how many dozens of people on the planet even knew Aurebesh was a thing or would know to try and read it?
The whole reason it is there is because it is a known thing and easy to decipher. But of course, heaven forbid something counter your never ending "Disneyland is always better" mantra.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom