The Choice Competition Thread

Matt7187

Original Poster
Well guys, the end is almost here. Before everything is wrapped up tonight, I would like to thank @spacemt354 and @Voxel for being great judges, @englanddg, @MonorailRed, @Sam4D23 and @TheOriginalTiki for being exceptional advisors, and all twenty of you who signed up, I really appreciate all of the interest. I would also like to congratulate @Brer Panther, @DSquared, @RMichael21, and @IDInstitute for making it to the finale! Unfortunately, only one of you can win, and the winner will be revealed very soon after we receive the submissions tonight.

RMichael21

The Choice Final Challenge - @RMichael21
WESTCOT

The World's Established Story of The Creation Of Time

westcot2_resortillustrative.jpg

Welcome to the re-imagined Disneyland Resort. By 1996, Disneyland Park will have turned into the re-branded Disneyland Resort. The main draw of this expansion is WESTCOT, an all new theme park for Anaheim, California. In addition, a new entertainment complex, hotel district and transportation system will come to the resort to create a multi-day experience for guests.

WESTCOT allows guests to travel to exotic eras throughout the planet's history and experience exciting attractions, spectacular entertainment and so much more along the way. So, sit back, relax and enjoy WESTCOT...

www.westcot.weebly.com

-=+=-

Now that the project is out of the way, I'd like to say a few thank you's! Thanks to @David2319, @MCParradox, @orlando678-, @Tony the Tigger, @Zweiland, @brb1006, @DisneyPrincess1993, @Simon Sulk, @Twilight_Roxas, @GMR710, @Doodlyday, @ctxak98, @DSquared, @mharrington and @ScorpionX for being great competition this season! Also, hats off to @Sam4D23, @TheOriginalTiki and @englanddg for coaching these great people through the past 2 months. Next, thanks to @IDInstitute, @Flippin'Flounder, @Brer Panther, @Perry2x2 and @mickeyfan5534 for being great teammates on Team MonorailRed! Speaking of which, a big round of applause for @MonorailRed for being a spectacular advisor this season. Thank you to @Voxel and @spacemt354 for being outstanding judges and finally thank you to @Matt7187 for being a great host! I think that's it. Anyways, thanks for having me, its been a blast and good luck to @IDInstitute, @DSquared and @Brer Panther in the finale!​

DSquared

211uedz.png

Disneyland California is ready for it's next grand step... A NEW PARK!!! And similar to it's Florida counterpart, the park will be themed to technology and ideals that spread around the world in amazing ways. WESTCot will usher in the next generation of the theme park by showcasing the great achievements of the human race. 1992 is about to get better.

The layout of the park will be similar to a cul-de-sac, with one path leading to a large circle of buildings.

2u40acz.jpg

There will be 7 pavilions, and 1 street (WESTCot Way). And the so to say 'Castle' of the park will be Horizons Tower. Standing at 250 feet, this futuristic building captures the essence of innovation. It would look like something similar to this, but the base would be wider, and the observation point top a bit smaller. Think microphone shape.

33difkm.jpg

Now, onto the pavilions (and street)

WESTCot Way
  • Westcot Gardens - Gaze upon the beautiful plants throughout the walkthrough similar to the amazing

Horizons Tower sponsored by GE
  • Horizons - Experience one of history's greatest theme park marvels with an updated track that also little by little goes the tower to save space
  • WESTcot Observation Deck - At 250 feet, take a look over the park, and maybe even a glance at Disneyland!
  • Innoventions - Play, create, and learn in state of the art Innovation Stations to express your creative, and scientific abilities.

Our Living Environment sponsored by Kraft
  • Living with the Land - Similar to the attraction in EPCOT, take a tour into the world of plants, and how they fuel humanity all across the world.
  • The Wonderful Seas - Meet some of the seas's funnest animals in a live show that takes a close look at marine biology.
  • Conservation Corner - walk through the corridors and learn the secrets of recycling, and pollution's effect on the environment.

Imagination sponsored by Kodak
  • Imagination! 3D - Join Figment and Dreamfinder once again in this new 3D show that takes you into the imagination.
  • ImagWorks - Use your imagination in a ton of interactive experiences, games, and activities.

Deep Space sponsored by NASA
  • WESTCot Planetarium - Discover the secrets of the universe in this new show taking a look at space.
  • Deep Space Voyage - Journey aboard this new dark ride that takes you on a tour through your good old neighborhood Milky Way Galaxy.

Universe of Energy sponsored by Shell
  • Fossil Fuel Fun-ground - Play, tour, and learn the process in which your everyday cars, planes, and so much more are fueled.
  • Energy Adventure - This dark ride is similar to it's EPCOT counterpart, in which you are blasted back to the age of the dinosaurs to see where your fuel comes from.

The World sponsored by Coca Cola
  • One World 3D starring Mr. Globester - take a 3D tour of the world, with your favorite pal Mr. Globester. Here is a rough sketch of Mr. Globester
68eiyb.jpg

• International Square - explore the world for yourself in this play area, and get to meet Mr. Globester too!
  • Multicultural Cafe - In this gigantic food court, get to indulge in foods all around the world from places like Italy, France India, China, Mexico, and the USA

World of Motion sponsored by Ford
  • A History in Motion - Take a dark ride trip across time to see how the world of vehicles and movement has evolved over hundreds of years.
  • Some Snazzy Rides - Tour around and see some vehicles from all across the ages up close!

Technology sponsored by Apple
  • Computers on Display - 1992, prepare to get educated! In this walkthough, see how to operate computers, and how they themselves operate too!
  • The Call of Spirit: The Story of Communication - See the story of communication, and meet great inventors like Alexander Graham Bell in this 3D movie!
Also, every pavilion has a store!

I hope you enjoyed this trip to WESTCot!

DinoInstitute

The Choice Final Challenge- @IDInstitute's Submission

Before I begin, I would like to say that, no matter what happens, this has been a really fun competition that I'm glad I was a part of. Thank you to all of your for putting up tough competition and making this exciting, and special thanks to @MonorailRed for being a wonderful adviser throughout this competition and a fantastic helper for this final challenge. Now, without further adieu, I present to you the story behind how WestCOT was won:

Date: 1994
2.5 Years after start of WestCOT Construction

Continue enjoying the WestCOT Opening Day Special Screening!:
http://teamidinstituteroc.wix.com/westcot

Matt7187

Original Poster
@RMichael21:

First off, I love that you came up with an acronym for the park. Also, the map is very good as well.

You flipped the script on what WestCOT is, and I like it. You didn't go the same route as originally planned, but you made it your own. Now, that can either hurt you a lot of help you a lot, let's see how it worked for you.

Your Space Station Earth is top notch. I really like the spin on Spaceship Earth and bringing the Timekeeper there. The nighttime show is a bit too Illuminations for me, and that didn't appear until 1999, so it may be a bit ahead of its time.

In the Primeval area, I am not a huge fan of the name Primeval Spin for the ride as it doesn't spin, but it isn't a big deal. Also, for Primeval Outfitters, the description is just the same as the previous quick service restaurant.

I really have nothing to complain about for the Ice Age, you have something for everyone. I especially like the Polar Boat Cruise.

The Empire Era is one of the weaker areas of your park. I like the 2 shows, but I really do not like the ride whatsoever. I think the backstory is pretty weak compared to the other areas of your park. I wish you would have had a large scale dark ride here instead of a water ride, which you could have put in the primeval area instead.

I like what you have for The Exploration Era, but I wish that the walkthrough could lose the Indiana Jones theme. I feel like the park would be better IP free, including the Indy ride, but I will let that one pass. Also, I wish you would have done something with real explorers such as Lewis and Clark.

In The Golden Age, I really like the show and the ToT ride (but the name could use some work), but the Subway ride and the Superstar Limo could be much better. I am not sure how a ride through the subways can be very captivating, so I wish you would have shared how it would interest people who have to ride subways everyday. Also, I feel that even thought this is sort of a Superstar Limo 2.0, I still feel like it would not be an ideal ride. I'm sure acquiring the rights to use the celebs from that era would cost a pretty penny to their estates, and who would determine who is more popular? I would have liked to have seen something involving other areas of NYC besides Manhattan as well.

The Future Era feature some good attractions, but I wish at least one of them would have been exclusive to WestCOT.

You also went into a bit too much detail about non park things when the challenge only called for the park itself. Also, a bit random, but I wish there would have been a variation of how many restaurants and shops are in each land. Instead of 2 eateries 1 shop in each land, I wish the numbers would have fluctuated. Also, I think there should have been at least 2 shops in each land.

Overall, this was the kind of proposal I was looking for; you went in a totally different direction than what was going to happen there, and you did it creatively with with good attractions, and weren't really lacking horribly in any specific area.

@DSquared:

I like the you did not use a Spaceship Earth type attraction as the centerpiece of your park. I like the ideas presented in Horizon Towers, but I feel like the center area would be a bit small for a ride of Horizon's magnitude, especially if the building is a big tower.

Our Living Environment was interesting, but I have to ask why Kraft as the sponsor? The attractions were good, but they could have used a bit more detail, such as what ride system they are; That can be said for your whole project.

What you had for Imagination was good, but I wish there would have been at least a ride there to go with the 3d show and interactive experiences.

I have nothing to complain about for Deep Space except for the fact that there are no interactive experiences listed.

Universe of Energy was good, I don't have much else to add.

The World was a standout for you. I really liked the ideas you presented, and props for using hand drawn concept art. I just wish there could have been some sort of ride in the pavilion as well.

World of Motion and Technology were good as well.

If you are wondering why my critique seems so short for you compared to the others, it is because you had the least detail to critique. I liked your general ideas a lot, but I just don't feel like there was enough meat on the bones. Creating a website and adding some detail could have helped you immensely. Also, props on using sponsors, which was and still is an Epcot staple. I wish you would have added some eateries as well to your pavilions.

@IDInstitute:

First off, I absolutely loved the use of the vintage video at the beginning, it was really creative and enjoyable and set up the website nicely. Tom Hanks was a great choice for narrator as he was huge in the 90s (he still is today) and also he is one of my favorite actors. Kudos on choosing great background music.

Regarding the Nature Pavilion, I liked the attractions you had, but I wish you would have put some more focus into different types of nature besides just in BIOMES. Like I wish you would have had some sort of attraction in either a jungle atmosphere or an arctic atmosphere.

The Technology and Science pavilion was my favorite part of your Discovery World. I liked all of the attractions, especially Power Up! I wish you would have had an eatery in the pavilion though, I think you could have come up with a great idea for one.

The Human Pavilion was your weakest in that sector of the park. I liked the Imagination 3D show and the Mind Rover attraction, but I felt that Moving Picture was grossly misplaced. That show would feel right at home in a park like DHS, but in a pavilion about the functions of the human, it just made no sense to me. And the fact that it is being billed as the number one production at the park, I feel like too much stock went into it. Also, I wish there was an eatery mentioned and also an interactive area.

Spacestation Earth was fine to me, but I have a concern about it. If you are showcasing the 7 wonders of WestCOT, how come there are 8 pavilions? It isn't a huge concern, but it is one nonetheless.

I was a fan of the Americas pavilion, but I feel like a few things should have been different. First, Newsies was a commercial flop when it came out and only gained popularity once the Broadway show became a smash hit in the 2010s, so I feel like a ride would have been a bit much, but I could have gotten behind a show. I also wish you had a bit more regarding the USA instead of just old New York.

Europe is done very nicely, with many of the landmark cities being covered and having many good eating and shopping areas. The only thing I would change is to add at least one ride to the pavilion to go with the marvelous show.

I really, really like the rides that you have laid out for Asia, but they both focus on Chinese folklore. If the pavilion is about all of Asia, I would have liked to seen some more countries represented.

To me, Africa is the weakest part of your whole park. The ride seems pretty far fetched and ahead of its time, and that is basically it. I would have liked to see an elaborate stage show in this area, along with dining options.

I appreciated the hotels and the boardwalk, but the challenge was just asking for the park itself, not the whole area. And also, I wish there would have been a proper closing. The whole idea of it being a show was one of the best things about your presentation, and by the end it is sort of lost. Also, for me at least, I feel like you stayed too close to the website we linked, when some fresh ideas would have been welcome.

Overall, you had a great presentation and ride ideas along with a killer map, but you were lacking in some areas such as food/shopping options and lack of things to do in pavilions.

Expect to see the final results at approximately 9:00 PM EST.

Last edited:

spacemt354

Chili's
spacemt354's review:

@RMichael21

Out of all the projects you took the most ambitious route. You completely turned the tables on what WestCOT was about. As alluded to earlier...risk can be great, but it can also be deleterious. I must also say that out of the group, you had the most uphill battle in terms of assistance. You basically did this by yourself. Which is something I admire, and frankly, am impressed by.

The acronym of WestCOT seemed very forced for me, and wasn't very catchy. A great original idea, but for the title itself, I wasn't too big of a fan.

As a whole, as touched on in Matt's reviews earlier, and we share the same views for the most part, so I won't repeat what he had already said, but overall i really enjoyed the fresh take on the park. Somebody must have read the articles, because even Marty Skylar said that he doesn't find enjoyment in doing the same thing over again, and that's what (for the most part) WestCOT was. A replica of Epcot, but a much more condensed version (granted a 300ft tall Space Station Earth would be neat)

All your lands were invigorating as Matt said, and really surprised me in the direction you took it. I also really enjoyed the map. A hand-drawn map. very well-done. Would have liked a little bit more annotations on it, but nevertheless, a solid job.

Not much to complain about other than the presentation could have used a little bit more flare. A logo, some art, something to show off more of the ideas....but as stated numerous times...the idea was the most important part of this project. And you did just that.

@DSquared

Matt already provided reviews, most of which I agree with. So instead I'll expand upon those and hopefully offer some advice to.

I think you've really taken off since you came onto the scene in SA. Especially your logo designs, of which, out of all the projects, I really like yours the best. I think the one area of improvement that you could really benefit from is fleshing out ideas. Sure, we didn't want you to go into too much detail, but we do need more than a sentence or two to truly get a sense of what you're building. All of your areas for the most part sound invigorating, but I'm left wanting more. I'm left thinking that with a little bit more description, I could get a better sense of your excellent ideas. If you do that, I seriously think you are going to be a tough person to beat into the future. A great job this round though!

@IDInstitute:

Again for the most part, I agree with Matt's observations. To give you a bit more expanded opinion, I kept up with your brainstorm PM throughout this whole time. From just observing, you both were by far the most enthused and energetic team wise in the bunch. And in terms of effort...the video...I don't need to say more. It was great. The art was great as well...the one thing I may differ on is that I thought it was slightly confusing. Just seemed like chucks of color and maybe it's just the way I viewed it, but I couldn't get a good sense of location from it.

For the most part though, your presentation and determination was fantastic...I was hoping for you to step out of the box in some locations and really surprise me, but I can't say much against the product you presented other than that. I loved the music...I loved the effort...I was just waiting for that..."wow...this is different!" moment. Regardless of how it plays out, you both should be proud, as you both put a ton of effort into this project and it shows.

Thanks to everyone for submitting and for another great Imagineering competition!

Last edited:

Matt7187

Original Poster
The 4th place finisher of The Choice is @Brer Panther.

The 3rd Place finisher of The Choice is @DSquared

The 2nd Place finisher of The Choice is @IDInstitute

The Winner of The Choice is @RMichael21!

Your innovative and original idea is what pushed you over the top, congrats @RMichael21, you are The Choice of WDWMagic!

That wraps up The Choice folks. Have a happy Holiday season!

spacemt354

Chili's
Thanks to @Matt7187 and @Voxel and to all contestants, coaches, and everyone who was involved with The Choice.

Was great to be a part of it and I think Matt did an outstanding job as host...putting together some of the best prompts for any competition I've seen in a while. And It was great working with him too.

Congrats once again to @RMichael21 for the win! And to all the finalists as well! You all earned your spots and did a fantastic job throughout the season! Best of luck to you all!

RMichael21

The 4th place finisher of The Choice is @Brer Panther.

The 3rd Place finisher of The Choice is @DSquared

The 2nd Place finisher of The Choice is @IDInstitute

The Winner of The Choice is @RMichael21!

Your innovative and original idea is what pushed you over the top, congrats @RMichael21, you are The Choice of WDWMagic!

That wraps up The Choice folks. Have a happy Holiday season!
Thanks so much, I'm truly grateful for this! Congrats to @IDInstitute, @DSquared and @Brer Panther for coming so close, you were truly fantastic competition. :)

Matt7187

Original Poster
Ok guys, I have a few questions for you. First off, what did you like and dislike about the comp, which challenges did you like/hate, what would you do to improve The Choice. Also, would you be interested in a 2nd season next year?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom