Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

AmUK

So is this 100% confirmed that it will be nothing like the horrid cheap versions in Paris and Hong Kong?

And secondly, i still can't seem to get an answer whether building work has begun or not. If not, why not?

AmUK

Why aren't they ready to start?

They closed attractions years ago, they announced this nearly half a year ago, the park is in need of new attractions - why the hold up?

ToTBellHop

They closed attractions years ago, they announced this nearly half a year ago, the park is in need of new attractions - why the hold up?
It is scheduled to open when it's scheduled to open and construction will commence on the date required to meet the timeline. Like any construction project.

Why hasn't America started rebuilding every dangerous bridge? That list was released years ago and is an arguably more pressing than a family coaster most folks around here are apathetic toward. So what are you insinuating? That the project has been delayed or canceled? It hasn't. It'll be a relatively fast build (for Disney) and the planned opening is a bit after AVATAR.

flyerjab

My thoughts are that they have started preliminary work from an overall park transformation perspective. Work on the expansion of TSMM has begun months ago. I believe that WDW feels, right or wrong, that this additional operational capacity for this ride was needed prior to demolition of existing infrastructure, buildings, etc. Also, the building and completion of the Sunset Theater (i.e., flex theater) needed to be completed as well. Work on the transformation of the Animation Building into the Star Wars Launch Bay has also been well underway and will be completed soon, along with changes/upgrades to the Jedi Training Academy experience. Also, don't forget that subtle changes/additions have also been made to Star Tours to help promote the new movie (obviously) as well as hopefully increase desire among park guests to experience this ride. In other words, drive more capacity towards this ride.

With a project of this magnitude there are always multiple stages and pre-work that the company feels should happen prior to the initiation of a larger scale demo and rebuild. To me completion of the TSMM third track, coupled with the completion of the new and/or changed Star Wars experiences and Sunset Theater, are all part of the overall plan to transform the park. These are things that can be done with minimal interruption to the park guests that will also serve to give people more to do during holiday peak times. To me, the next phase should begin in January next year, where you should see major work starting.

In other words, don't worry Jordan, you'll see those spades in the ground before you know it.

Bocabear

Maybe like the plans for the Fantsyland Expansion, the reception of Toy Story Land was not what they hoped and they are plussing up the plans...? If that is the reason for the delay, I would give it a thumbs up...

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Maybe like the plans for the Fantsyland Expansion, the reception of Toy Story Land was not what they hoped and they are plussing up the plans...? If that is the reason for the delay, I would give it a thumbs up...

But we really don't know if there is a "delay". All we have seen is concept art, we don't know how far along the development process that art actually was.

FrankLapidus

Which attractions closed years ago? I was at WDW when Backlot Tour closed so thats just over a year, what other attractions closed years ago in preparation for Toy Story Land? Which coincidentally was announced in mid-August, a little over three months ago which is fairly significantly less than half a year.

I'm as impatient for new attractions at DHS as anyone else but the scarcity of information about this project, beyond some concept art and a brief description of it at D23, has led me not to expect too much in the way of news or construction just yet.

ToTBellHop

Which attractions closed years ago? I was at WDW when Backlot Tour closed so thats just over a year, what other attractions closed years ago in preparation for Toy Story Land? Which coincidentally was announced in mid-August, a little over three months ago which is fairly significantly less than half a year.

I'm as impatient for new attractions at DHS as anyone else but the scarcity of information about this project, beyond some concept art and a brief description of it at D23, has led me not to expect too much in the way of news or construction just yet.
The fact that two of the main pieces of concept art released showed quite different rides suggests the concept wasn't fully fleshed out in August. The look of Star Wars Land has changed as well. It seems it was a bit of a rush job to make an announcement at D23.

FrankLapidus

The fact that two of the main pieces of concept art released showed quite different rides suggests the concept wasn't fully fleshed out in August. The look of Star Wars Land has changed as well. It seems it was a bit of a rush job to make an announcement at D23.

I haven't seen the artwork in a while so I can't recall from memory if there were any differences but, as much as I like knowing about the things that are coming to the parks, there are times when I think Disney would be best served by not releasing any information until spades are in the ground and tangible progress can be seen.

ToTBellHop

Wasn't there a computer model ridethrough video of the Slinky Dog Coaster at some point? That suggest the design may be pretty firmed up by now...
That RCT 3-level video was released at D23, too. Layout was firmed up, but overall look of the ride? I'm not so sure. Granted, it's no different than the dwarfs walking across the log that we are still waiting for on 7DMT.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Compare the zoomed in image of the coaster to the land overview image.

To me this seems to be an earlier concept sketch. The overall view of the land looks much more complete. Not saying they were ready to build in August, but it looked to me like the concept could have been locked down by then.

Toy-Story-Land_Full_25055.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom