College Football 2015 Thread!!

R W B

Original Poster
So, we're roughly a month away from the start of the season I figured it's time for a thread.

Last year we had the first year of the playoffs and it was great I thought (even though my team wasn't in it). I like the idea of 4 teams but can't wait til they move it to 8.

With that said, I'm sure Ohio St will start out at an unanimous #1 which is normal for defending champs but after that, idk how they will line up. A lot of folks are saying TCU will be great this year but I'm sure Baylor will have something to say to that. I think you only have FSU and Clemson as true contenders in the ACC. Out west you have what I beleive is the 2nd best conference in CFB, the PAC 12. I'm sure Oregon will be good as always and I think UCLA or Arizona will win the south and compete for the conference title. Then that brings us to the almighty SEC!! (Sure some of you are rolling your eyes now lol!). Seriously though, I think either Missouri or Georgia will win the east but the West is a coin toss. We know Bama will be in there, A lot of people are big on Auburn too. A&M will be interesting and so will Miss ST. Then that brings us to my team, the LSU Tigers! I won't bore anyone with in depth stories on them but I know we're in much better shape this year then we were in last year simply because we were so young with no experience last year. As long as Brandon Harris is our starting QB this season I feel like we have a very strong shot at the SEC Tilte.

Now that I'm done, who's your team? What's your thoughts on this season? How do you like the playoffs vs the BCS?

Ready... Geaux!

Last edited:

OSUgirl77

I am (obviously) a huge Ohio State fan. We've got a pretty easy schedule this year, plus we're still loaded, so we *should* go undefeated during the regular season. Nothing is ever certain though...

I love the playoffs, but there really needs to be at least 8 teams. Four teams is a start though, and much better than the BCS.

Excited to get the season started! :)

WildcatDen

I am (obviously) a huge Ohio State fan. We've got a pretty easy schedule this year, plus we're still loaded, so we *should* go undefeated during the regular season. Nothing is ever certain though...

I love the playoffs, but there really needs to be at least 8 teams. Four teams is a start though, and much better than the BCS.

UK Fan here so once again, I will wait patiently until Basketball season starts. . .

CaptainAmerica

The playoffs are an extremely poor way to select the best team. There are too many freak things that can happen in a single-elimination tournament that you could have a national champion decided on a fluke loss to an inferior team.

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
The playoffs are 1000x better than teams being voted into a National Championship game though. You can have a team sitting in the #4 position and be undefeated (and actually deserve it over a team with one loss) but it not matter because of the strength of schedule.

OSUgirl77

The playoffs are an extremely poor way to select the best team. There are too many freak things that can happen in a single-elimination tournament that you could have a national champion decided on a fluke loss to an inferior team.
I completely disagree. If a team makes it to the National Championship game, they have made it through the regular season with no more than one loss, won their conference championship game (with the exception of the Big 12) and won their playoff semifinal game (against one of the top teams in the country). If a team can accomplish all of that, in addition to beating a team in the final game that has done the same, then their win is no fluke.

CaptainAmerica

I completely disagree. If a team makes it to the National Championship game, they have made it through the regular season with no more than one loss, won their conference championship game (with the exception of the Big 12) and won their playoff semifinal game (against one of the top teams in the country). If a team can accomplish all of that, in addition to beating a team in the final game that has done the same, then their win is no fluke.
It's not an opinion, it's a statistical fact. Single elimination tournaments are poor formats for identifying the best team in a pool of teams.

Let's say Ohio State goes 13-0, winning the Big 10. Their average margin of victory is 23 points. They're the number one seed and set to face 11-1 TCU in the first semifinal game. TCU has an average margin of victory of 3 points. TCU beats Ohio State in the seminfinal game by one point in overtime on a missed extra point by Ohio State. Are you really comfortable with a system that calls TCU a better team than Ohio State because of the result of one head to head game? The beauty of college football is (used to be) that every game matters as much as every other game. In a tournament, single games at the end of the year can completely erase everything that came before it.

http://cnls.lanl.gov/~ebn/pubs/competerev/competerev.pdf

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
So what's the excuse if TCU beats OSU in a title game that was voted on by sports reporters? Are you saying you'd prefer a method in which teams got the short end of the stick because of their schedule? The old voting method didn't work because you had teams that were viable options to compete in the title game passed over in favor of teams from the SEC and whichever conference. The playoffs actually give those teams something to play for instead of hoping a voting committee will favor them in the final rankings. I assume you aren't in favor of how the NFL Playoffs are done, either.

CaptainAmerica

So what's the excuse if TCU beats OSU in a title game that was voted on by sports reporters? Are you saying you'd prefer a method in which teams got the short end of the stick because of their schedule? The old voting method didn't work because you had teams that were viable options to compete in the title game passed over in favor of teams from the SEC and whichever conference. The playoffs actually give those teams something to play for instead of hoping a voting committee will favor them in the final rankings.
I don't like a title game, either. Frankly, I think it's an idiotic exercise to try and crown an undisputed national champion in a sport that has 128 teams playing a 12 game schedule. There just aren't enough different matchups over the course of the season to make any definitive claims one way or the other. I'd like individual conference championships to matter like they used to, with traditional bowl rivalries restored. If the AP or ESPN or whoever else want to come up with a final ranking and name their pick as the national champion, fine. But I would sever that from the "official" postseason apparatus of the NCAA.

I assume you aren't in favor of how the NFL Playoffs are done, either.
It's not as bad as college, to be sure. There are much fewer teams, more regular season games to get a better picture of who belongs in the playoffs, and real incentives given to the best regular season teams in the form of byes and home field advantage. MLB, NBA, and NHL playoffs are far superior. With seven game series, it's much less likely that an inferior team advances with a fluke win because they'd need to string together four of them. The NCAA basketball tournament is the worst offender in that regard.

Don't get me wrong. As a fan, the playoffs are exciting. High stakes, constant drama, winner-takes-all, etc. But it's not the best way to crown a champion. It's the best way to build hype and make money.

Flower'sChild

I am a fan of the Miami Hurricanes and I am extremely happy!! What an unbelievable way for my team to win!! I have never seen anything like this!! Go Canes!!

R W B

Original Poster
I'm a huge LSU fan but I wanna know what you all think about Les Miles, should he go or stay?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom