A Spirited Perfect Ten

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
why would they cost 100$?
its the same content that did cost 60$ or less years ago.

this image explains pretty much what is going on.

IbbgBVi.jpg

Probably because games are a lot more expensive to create now than in the past. Combined with a bit of inflation and boom, game prices jump. I don't remember paying 60 bucks for a Nintendo game back in the early 90s'.

But that is just me guessing.. haha

As far as your image goes..that very well may be a piece of what is going on as well.

Cesar R M

Probably because games are a lot more expensive to create now than in the past. Combined with a bit of inflation and boom, game prices jump. I don't remember paying 60 bucks for a Nintendo game back in the early 90s'.

But that is just me guessing.. haha

As far as your image goes..that very well may be a piece of what is going on as well.
Matters little about how expensive they are. Since they have a monstrous broad market now.

COD for example, shattered all record...., earning more money than the biggest movie blockbuster EVER.

flynnibus

Premium Member
If anyone wants to put the blame on DLCs, it's because of us, the consumer. If Xbox and PS were to release these games and included everything and not seperate, your single video game would cost $100 or more! Which means no one would buy them if that were the case.

It's not blame the consumer... but simply another way to monetize games. It's way safer and cheaper to add onto an existing platform and known commodity than it is to start all over and hope it's well received (uhh sequels anyone?). The idea of micro-transactions feeds into the consumer psyche so well.. making it a no-brainer for publishers to keep milking a successful game through DLC.

Where it gets shady is where they start to schedule games to be barebones up front (yet full priced) so they can turn on the DLC faucet right away. There, that's up to the consumers to speak with their wallets in terms of what models they will support.

flynnibus

Premium Member

Costs have soared, but prices have not. A NES game cost $30 back in the 80s. A standard console game is basically $50-60 now. That doesn't even cover the differences in inflation... yet game projects are orders of magnitude bigger and more expensive than games were to produce back in the 80s.

The market doesn't want to see a $80 or $100 game price.. but they expect that kind of quality. Add-ons is a way for publishers to monetize the games without sticker shock and a way to reduce risk.

stevehousse

Costs have soared, but prices have not. A NES game cost $30 back in the 80s. A standard console game is basically $50-60 now. That doesn't even cover the differences in inflation... yet game projects are orders of magnitude bigger and more expensive than games were to produce back in the 80s.

The market doesn't want to see a $80 or $100 game price.. but they expect that kind of quality. Add-ons is a way for publishers to monetize the games without sticker shock and a way to reduce risk.
Thank you! You said it better than I did!

JediMasterMatt

Vidya game nerd-down at the OK Corral here on Spirit's resting place.

I have a bit of insight into the world of video games and Star Wars, so I'll chime in with a few thoughts. I have friends in LucasFilm, friends that use to work for LucasArts, and friends that work for various parts of EA.

The venom to the pay-to-play system I feel is being inadvertently being attributed to Star Wars Battlefront. It's become the poster child for something that started long before its release. Expansion packs, deluxe editions, exclusive editions, DLC content have been part of the video game distribution timeline since the dawn of online gaming. Once the ability to "give you more content" after the game released became possible (with online connectivity and modifiable local storage - like hard drives), the opportunity to "sell you more" became a realistic objective. Star Wars Battlefront isn't doing anything new in this regards.

What I think the real underlying venom with Battlefront is the perception that what is being launched isn't a "complete" game. While I can certainly understand some of where those thoughts come from (limited maps, limited modes, etc.), I don't see anything completely different here than what was in previous Battlefront titles or more precisely - the Call of Duty/Battlefield franchise model that the new game is tapping into. The one real difference is the lack of any viable single player experience.

Something that everyone needs to factor into any "current generation" title release is the complexity of what goes into a modern title. The video game industry wasn't ready for 3D HD graphics back when the PS3/XBox360 launched and they aren't in a much better place with the XBone/PS4 either. The reach of game developers has always exceeded the technological grasp. Development tools are just now making life a bit easier for those that make current gen games; but, regardless of what tools are created - making a 3D world at HD resolutions takes significantly more man hours than anything that has come before.

That is why the afore mentioned ability "give you more content" after launch has become so vital to the game industry. Game studios simply aren't given enough time to "bake" a project to completion. Countless games get launched in a broken or less than ideal state with the intention of finishing them with patches down the line. Scores of games are victims of this and never reach the goal that the developer had in mind. (That's why at the annual E3 hoedown, you never should get excited about any game that isn't either in a playable state or at least from a developer that you know can historically follow-through on their ambitions). Very few games meet their original release dates with everything intact.

For everything that Battlefront is not (cheap or deep), it's important to note what it is and what it does well.

It's exactly what DICE advertised it to be when the title was first shown off. It was never expected to have as much depth as people want to project into it. It launched exactly like the developer said. So, by that standard - it's inappropriate to use Shigeru Miyamoto's axiom about "a delayed game is eventually good, a bad game is bad forever". Battlefront wasn't really delayed significantly and it's certainly not a bad game.

Technically, it's a masterpiece. On the PS4 and a decent gaming PC, it's pure 60fps brilliance. Endor especially is amazing in the level of detail on display. Truly a taste of what a real next generation experience can be. Running through Echo Base on Hoth and heading out into the open plains in front of the shield generator is impressive.

For even a casual fan of the Star Wars franchise, it's an unbelievable experience. The audio quality especially stands out as being immersive as you move through the environments.

The game play is an improvement over previous installments in the Battlefront franchise - which were never as deep as Battlefield.

I know that I've gotten my $60 bucks worth out of it in the few hours I've played thus far. It's more of a Quake/arcade-y style of gameplay that is a welcome relief from the more serious tactical genre that first person shooters have fallen victim to. It's easy to jump in and have fun and come back for more later.

I would encourage anyone with an interest into seeing a technological masterpiece, or someone who wants to have a "fun" experience to check it out. Any fan of the Star Wars universe needs to try it.

That said, I'm still an old school gamer. I spend far more time playing my pinball machines than video games these days.

*BTW - if you are critical about the state of game development today and the costs, wait a few years until the reality of VR sets in. Games will no longer be able to be evaluated by pictures, or movies of gameplay. The real measurement will be only based on how well it works inside your head and there is a huge delta of what will work for everyone when it comes to the technical requirements of it. When it's done right, it's amazing and is the future. When it's not, it will make you sick. VR will either bring in another golden age of gaming or usher it to its second great crash.

Mike S

Might as well jump in myself with this conversation. The problem isn't DLC in itself. It's how it's abused. DLC available on day one of a games release is content that could full well have just been included in the game to begin with and in some cases, it shockingly is. The DLC is already on the disc and what you're essentially buying is a code to unlock content on the disc you already paid $60 for. If I remember correctly this was the case with one of the recent Street Fighter games or Marvel vs. Capcom. One of the reasons I like Nintendo is that they focus on making the most complete game first and DLC later with Mario Kart 8 being a spectacular example of how DLC should be done. I think I paid about $12 for 16 new tracks, 6 characters, and 8 vehicles.

Disneyhead'71

Iger has done a great job. Walt Disney Company has more to it than just the theme parks. And if he is so horrible, why do they keep extending his contract?
Iger has done a great job of making money for investors by stock buy backs and running the parks into the ground. He made great profits by making DHS the worst major theme park in the country. So it depends on ones priorities as to how well Iger has done.

Last edited:

Cesar R M

not at all, look at smaller games like UNDERTALE.
they have NES graphics, and were very popular on the PC market.
Look at SOMA, a small studio.. one of the best horror games I've played.
not everything "bigger, better, badder" is best for the players. The AAA title producers love to spout ( see Call of Duty series, or HALO ) just for bragging and marketing purposes.
Good games != best graphics.

one only needs to look at Nintendo and their successful drive of the WII.

Cesar R M

Might as well jump in myself with this conversation. The problem isn't DLC in itself. It's how it's abused. DLC available on day one of a games release is content that could full well have just been included in the game to begin with and in some cases, it shockingly is. The DLC is already on the disc and what you're essentially buying is a code to unlock content on the disc you already paid $60 for. If I remember correctly this was the case with one of the recent Street Fighter games or Marvel vs. Capcom. One of the reasons I like Nintendo is that they focus on making the most complete game first and DLC later with Mario Kart 8 being a spectacular example of how DLC should be done. I think I paid about $12 for 16 new tracks, 6 characters, and 8 vehicles.
Mass Effect 2 and 3 had this issue as well.
Infact, I remember reading that some developers were releasing the DLC as part of the content, but the presales hype and the expectations by executives, told them to shove the DLC model.

FrankLapidus

Don't know we will see what the finished product looks like

Its going to make a ton of money from merchandise whether the film is good or bad, that doesn't mean that its been made with the chief intent to sell toys.

Based on what we know about the franchise if that was all they wanted to do then why not just let Lucas have at it? Despite his previous semi-retirement he obviously had some ideas for a new trilogy and has taken merchandising opportunities into account when writing the films since ROTJ so if Disney/Lucasfilm just want to sell toys then why break up a winning formula?

Kathleen Kennedy has never struck me as the sort of person or executive who prioritises merchandise sales over making a quality film and nothing she has done during her time as head of Lucasfilm has given me any reason to think otherwise. I was as cynical and jaded as a lot of Star Wars fans became after the prequels but I haven't seen or heard anything about this film to give me cause to question the priorities of the people who made it.

Flippin'Flounder

Yep, you paid 12 dollars for half of what came with the $60 game. Also, Nintendo games like Mariokart and Super Smash Bros get progressively better, stay the same price, and offer cheap DLC, which is almost always developed after the fact. Splatoon is still offering free DLC, practically weekly, 6 months later. This is why I own a Wii U, and nothing else.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom