Why did my thread get deleted?

The Empress Lilly

Although that is good advice, I really feel that if a moderator is going to delete someones post, they should, at the very least, tell them why. They have the right to have whatever they want on this board, but, not everyone knows the rules in the fine tuned sense.
"We thank you for your contribution, but we do not allow linking to other Disney sites"

Common courtesy and a respectful treatment of members. Lest we forget, the people who constitute this community, who provide most of the content, and who are the target of the sponsors and advertisers.

The jealously guarded prohibition of mere mention of other websites - and of competitors of sponsors! - is already slightly petty to begin with. In fact, the latter disqualifies this website as a place where travelllers can openly exchange Disney travel tips.

Goofyernmost

Everyone should know the rules. Read the small print. Same as you would in the real world before signing up to a service. They're there for anyone to read.
I suppose... pretty extreme and obsessive for a free web site designed for entertainment. Hardly should require the complete absorption that might be required of brain surgery preparation.

However, in the end, it really isn't worthy of all this discussion. It's a minor point about a minor problem. Find it worthy or don't, the world will not stop revolving because of it.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I suppose... pretty extreme and obsessive for a free web site designed for entertainment. Hardly should require the complete absorption that might be required of brain surgery preparation.
Oh Indeed, but when an issue like this arises first port of call would be check the Ts and Cs.

Plus the fact it's free means - perhaps even moreso - abide by the providers rules.

Last edited:

stevehousse

I think he's just asking, and I totally agree with this, but if your thread or post gets deleted, there should at least be some kind of inbox message stating why it was removed. All social media platforms do this, and it would be nice to know. Repeated thread, promotions, vulgar posts, etc. a simple explanation to go with it, instead of being left in the dark...I'm all for that!

Goofyernmost

Maybe it's free partly because of the ads, and who would pay for ads if their competitors were being promoted on here for free.
I'm not arguing the reason for the rule at all. I understand completely why they don't want it to happen. All I am saying is if one is going to delete a thread (not a post) then at least tell them why. It only requires a few words or even a reference to the rule itself.
Oh Indeed, but when an issue like this arises first port of call would be check the Ts and Cs.

Plus the fact it's free means - perhaps even moreso - abide by the providers rules.
So I guess we are going to continue to make a mountain out of a mole hill here. Fine, proceed without my involvement. I'm sorry that you don't agree with my opinion that a deletion should be accompanied by a reason for that deletion, however, that is my opinion and it remains the same, written rules or no written rules. I guess I need to spell it out more clearly, I do not have one little bit of upset over the fact that the rule exists, that is totally understandable. If you would like posters to drift away from this board continue to harp on whether or not they should all read the fine print. It is to the detriment of this board to insist on that kind of "legalese" requirement for an entertainment and information based discussion board.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
I have always thought the moderators on this site have their own secret agenda nine times out of ten they don't seem to care whats going on. You could be mean rude and even make crude jokes and no moderator will stop you.
The very fact this thread is still open and around should tell you there's no hidden agendas by the moderators. There's only three of them, scores of threads, hundreds of posts daily, and tens of thousands of members....

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
I'm not arguing the reason for the rule at all. I understand completely why they don't want it to happen. All I am saying is if one is going to delete a thread (not a post) then at least tell them why. It only requires a few words or even a reference to the rule itself.

So I guess we are going to continue to make a mountain out of a mole hill here. Fine, proceed without my involvement. I'm sorry that you don't agree with my opinion that a deletion should be accompanied by a reason for that deletion, however, that is my opinion and it remains the same, written rules or no written rules. I guess I need to spell it out more clearly, I do not have one little bit of upset over the fact that the rule exists, that is totally understandable. If you would like posters to drift away from this board continue to harp on whether or not they should all read the fine print. It is to the detriment of this board to insist on that kind of "legalese" requirement for an entertainment and information based discussion board.
Expecting someone to not post links to competitor websites isn't legalese, it's courtesy. And again, if you're unsure as to the rules or said courtesy, ask.

Nemo14

As I said before, according to the Terms and Rules of this forum, If one wonders why a post or thread was deleted, all they have to do is PM a mod for an explanation. The responsibility lies with the poster, not with the mods.

stevehousse

As I said before, according to the Terms and Rules of this forum, If one wonders why a post or thread was deleted, all they have to do is PM a mod for an explanation. The responsibility lies with the poster, not with the mods.
But if every other social media site can do the opposite,and notify a person with an inbox message stating why, why can't wdwmagic?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Just to answer a few points raised in this thread.

1. We do allow links to other websites. In fact, you will find thousands of them across the posts on the site.

2. There are a handful of sites that are blocked from having active links on here for varying reasons, less than 5.

3. It is often difficult to send messages about moderation actions due to time constraints. A lot of moderating is done quickly and in less than ideal circumstances - such as standing in line in a supermarket or in the middle of the night when half asleep. Ideally it would be nice to message every user involved in a moderation case, but it isn't possible.

4. I think we have a great moderation balance here of allowing a lot of content to be discussed without being shut down, yet maintaining common decency across the forums. If you find any posts objectionable, please use the report feature - it helps highlight problem areas for us to look at closer. Some of you in this thread who are complaining about lack of moderation have never reported a post.

Last edited:

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
But if every other social media site can do the opposite,and notify a person with an inbox message stating why, why can't wdwmagic?

Because theres no obligation to message you every single time,.especially if youve been here a good while and should know how everything works. WDWMagic summed it up, theres probably no reason why this should remain open now.

flynnibus

Premium Member

1. We do allow links to other websites. In fact, you will find thousands of them across the posts on the site.

2. There are a handful of sites that are blocked from having active links on here for varying reasons, less than 5.

3. It is often difficult to send messages about moderation actions due to time constraints. A lot of moderating is done quickly and in less than ideal circumstances - such as standing in line in a supermarket or in the middle of the night when half asleep. Ideally it would be nice to message every user involved in a moderation case, but it isn't possible.

4. I think we have a great moderation balance here of allowing a lot of content to be discussed without being shut down, yet maintaining common decency across the forums. If you find any posts objectionable, please use the report feature - it helps highlight problem areas for us to look at closer. Some of you in this thread who are complaining about lack of moderation have never reported a post.

But xenforo makes this so easy... Use the warn feature with content action instead of just th simple delete option. You don't even have to type anything... Just pick from the predefined reasons.

I think the site does a pretty solid job of not only policing its content, but being pretty consistent in its actions.. Which is tough to do, but also why I'm sure you keep the team small :). But notification instead of just delete is an automated feature now... I think it's a reasonable request in terms of both need and burden. Just feedback...

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
But xenforo makes this so easy... Use the warn feature with content action instead of just th simple delete option. You don't even have to type anything... Just pick from the predefined reasons.

I think the site does a pretty solid job of not only policing its content, but being pretty consistent in its actions.. Which is tough to do, but also why I'm sure you keep the team small :). But notification instead of just delete is an automated feature now... I think it's a reasonable request in terms of both need and burden. Just feedback...
That is useful in some circumstances - such as removing entire threads, but isn't of use when removing individual posts inline, which is probably the most frequently used.

flynnibus

Premium Member
That is useful in some circumstances - such as removing entire threads, but isn't of use when removing individual posts inline, which is probably the most frequently used.

Not sure what you mean.. the warn+delete content action works just fine on individual posts and removes just the one post. It works just like the delete does.. if it's the first post in the thread, it deletes/hides the thread.. if its a reply to a thread, it deletes/hides the individual post. I suspect you are referring to bulk actions trying to delete many posts at once w/the inline moderation tools... where the 'warn' function isn't available.. but using delete in the inline moderation tools has an option for 'notify author of this action...' option as well..

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Not sure what you mean.. the warn+delete content action works just fine on individual posts and removes just the one post. It works just like the delete does.. if it's the first post in the thread, it deletes/hides the thread.. if its a reply to a thread, it deletes/hides the individual post. I suspect you are referring to bulk actions trying to delete many posts at once w/the inline moderation tools... where the 'warn' function isn't available.. but using delete in the inline moderation tools has an option for 'notify author of this action...' option as well..
I'm very familiar with the software - been using it since day one. :)

We use bulk inline in the vast majority of cases, where it is rather time consuming to provide a note to each poster as to why their post was deleted. There are frequent cases where I remove 100s of posts in a thread that drifts and gets off topic or has other issues. Unfortunately no time to give a note in those cases, and a generic message to all in that bulk delete would not be an accurate reason and therefore pointless in giving. There are no features in the forum software that make that process more time efficient.

I'm very comfortable with the current process - it has worked for the last 19 years. If anyone wishes to have more details on a deletion, I can always be contacted.

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
@wdwmagic but each person doesn't need a personalized note... a simple 'multiple posts were deleted as being off-topic' or whatever would suffice. I mean when you are doing this bulk stuff, they are all being deleted because they are all pretty much in the same problem :) Those that need more detail can call you back :D

I respect that you run your ship how you want... but I personally feel you're just trying to defend the status quo instead of having real constraints preventing you from addressing the request. As you say.. its been the model for the last 19 years... but your tools have evolved during that time too... can this philosophy not evolve too?

I know some believe silent action results in less blowback and noise vs drawing attention to mod actions.. (myself included).. but even if the users don't agree, at least they know where you are coming from.

I won't say anymore on the topic.. it's your ship.. but I think the technical/time points are just excuses... not constraints.

I feel the moderator don't get involved unless you report something talk about lazy. I got into a huge argument on this site over a fake or doctored picture or was it how google earth did it and it got real ugly when I reported to a moderator (MOM) I saw a post from her insulting me an supporting the other guy and not taking the postings down or anything. Also is it possible to delete an account on this site. I asked (MOM) same moderator she no just to use my account.

This site is probably one of the worse site as far as people being sarcastic and mean and just don't right rude of all Disney fan sites I go to. Nice conversation quickly turn ugly here.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom