Trip Report It's Not Minneapolis Hubby, it's WDW! November 2015 & lots of pictures!

Hi all! This is my first trip report so I will explain the title first....

My husband and I always spend a weekend in November in the Twin Cities (Minneapolis/St.Paul Minnesota). But we have annual passes this year for WDW and Disneyland, so I decided to surprise my husband with a trip to WDW. I let him think for about three months that we were doing our traditional weekend. We planned activities, like a show (that I told him I would take care of getting the tickets), and places to eat, but all along I had already booked WDW. I even made him watch episodes of the Chew to see the Food and Wine festival stuff, and given him a "guilt trip" because I wouldn't be able to see the Osborne Lights one last time. My husband is a pastor so I had to watch his schedule pretty close in case something like a funeral came along (which one did), but he had already arranged the Sunday off for Minneapolis so I didn't have to worry about that.

So, my original plan was to tell him the night before we left. But I soon realized that he would need more time to prepare. The week that we were to leave, a lady in my congregation that my husband was quite close to lost her battle with cancer. The funeral was on the Tuesday before we left, so I decided that I would tell him about the surprise trip that night, so he could prepare and it would be a nice relief from the grief he was feeling. Well, hubby came home and I let him settled and he was cruisin' facebook and casually I asked him if he wanted to ride any rides this weekend. He of course is thinking I want to go on rides at the Mall of America said no.
So I asked, "Really not even Big Thunder Mountain?"
Hubby: "No, we aren't going to WDW."
Me: "Oh, that's too bad because I have a fast pass for Big Thunder on Friday."
Hubby (starting to stare at me in confusion): "But we aren't going to WDW. Are we?!?!"

From there I confirmed that we were going to WDW on Friday-Monday and he eventually cleared out the confusion cobwebs and got super excited. He started packing that night! The next morning he still couldn't believe I had "tricked" him for months.

So, Thursday rolls around and we both anxiously make our way through the work day. And we do spend the night in Bloomington MN (near the Minneapolis airport) so we can catch our early flight Friday morning. We did go to the Mall of America and had a tasty meal at Buffalo Wild Wings and watched the Minnesota Wild play on tv.

Here are some pictures from Friday morning.
Breakfast at the airport: pumpkin bread and a Caribou Coffee mocha
IMG_0947.JPG

Ready for takeoff
IMG_0948.JPG

Leaving Minneapolis behind
IMG_0949.JPG

Arrival at WDW!
IMG_0951.JPG

Arrival at the Swan hotel. Our first time here. The staff was very friendly and we loved staying here. It was a deluxe hotel at moderate prices. We never felt like we weren't at a "Disney" hotel.
IMG_2631.JPG

IMG_2635.JPG

At the Magic Kingdom

IMG_2649.JPG
IMG_2653.JPG

Since we arrived on Friday the 13th, they were still filming some Christmas parade stuff. Interesting to see and it didn't impact the flow at the MK too much.

IMG_2667.JPG
IMG_2669.JPG

Minnesota disney fan

Back at the Swan
The fountain in our lobby, our room, and the night view from the balcony.
View attachment 120389

View attachment 120390

View attachment 120391 View attachment 120392 View attachment 120393

We were at HS the same night. I had to use a wheelchair and we were set up kinda under the peace on earth sign and the angels. We couldn't navigate through the lights this time, so thank you for taking such beautiful pictures. I hope you had a great trip, from one Minnesotan to another:)

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
I'm loving the pictures of the Osborne Lights! I never got a chance to see them, so I will live vicariously through you! I'm glad you had a wonderful trip and that you enjoyed the Swan. We thought it was a great location too...the only pitfall we felt was you had to arrange for airport transportation instead of the Mickey Express.

I thought we would miss the Magical Express, but I really liked the car service we booked. It was so much faster, the only thing I didn't like was the additional cost of the car service.

Wonderful pictures! I got a laugh out of the Muppets one, too! The Osborne Lights are amazing; and since they'll be doing away with them, I wonder what WDW has planned for a replacement next year; hopefully, it will be something else on that spectacular level. (Not holding my breath on that one, but just wishing . . .)

The gift shop looked very festive for the holiday season. I also enjoyed the picture of the dancing Christmas tree bulbs!

I like the different displays Disney makes for the holidays (and all the other times of the year), it really makes me want to buy stuff. So I guess Disney is succeeding! I hope the Osborne lights doesn't completely die, but if it does I will have pictures.

I'm loving all of your pics! Everything looks so festive, and the food is making me drool over here!! Sooo jealous of those short ribs and kalua pork. *sighs as I go back to my caramel brulee lattee for breakfast*

A caramel latte sounds pretty good, but if I could have those short ribs....:hungry:

Enjoying all the photos! I can relate to using a trash can as a table top :D and the truffle looks awesome.

Thanks! The truffle was awesome. And at least with eating off the garbage can it is easy to dispose of my waste!

thank you again!!!!!!!!! BTW I would have bought 2 Figments one for my kitchen and one to keep on my mantle:inlove:

I love figment too but I just could justify it. Am I regretting it now? Maybe a little.

We were at HS the same night. I had to use a wheelchair and we were set up kinda under the peace on earth sign and the angels. We couldn't navigate through the lights this time, so thank you for taking such beautiful pictures. I hope you had a great trip, from one Minnesotan to another:)

I'm glad you were able to enjoy the lights too. The first night we went it was really crowded, but we stayed so long (about 2 1/2 hours) it was really clearing out by the end. And I'm actually from Wisconsin, between Eau Claire and the Twin Cities. We get all the Minneapolis tv stations, so sometimes it feels like we are from Minnesota. Sometimes I call myself a Minnesconsonite.

Great report! Loved all the pictures!!

Thanks! I will be posting some more.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Day Three of our trip:

We started the day at Animal Kingdom. We didn't spend too much time there, as it is hubby's least favorite park. We did Everest, the safari, walked around the new Harambe market area (although none of the food areas were open as it was too early), and did Tough to Be a Bug.

Close up of the big tree.
IMG_3271.JPG

IMG_3275.JPG

IMG_3284.JPG

IMG_3289.JPG

IMG_3298.JPG

I recently saw a thread on here about the hair bands on Everest. I had never noticed them before, but this time I couldn't help but notice. I don't know why they aren't swept up. It wouldn't take too long, I'm assuming they have to walk and inspect the track each morning. It would be easy to just take a broom and clean them up. It is rather annoying.
IMG_3304.JPG

IMG_3327.JPG

IMG_3329.JPG

Rhino having a little nosh, I was a little jealous. We skipped breakfast, but we made up for it once we got to Epcot.
IMG_3330.JPG

IMG_3353.JPG

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
At the Harambe marketplace
IMG_3391.JPG

IMG_3392.JPG

IMG_3400.JPG

IMG_3409.JPG

Back at the Swan, hubby had to go back to the room to get his Food and Wine passport. He needed to get it stamped so he could get his annual passholder port wine glass.
IMG_3426.JPG

So I checked out the Swan's gift shop, it had a cute holiday display.
IMG_3422.JPG

Once at Epcot we started our Food and Wine journey at France.
IMG_3439.JPG

The vanilla and chocolate crème brulee was fantastic, the beef dish was good too.
IMG_3445.JPG

IMG_3446.JPG

Belgium and Brazil were our next stops. At Belgium we got the chocolate waffle and the beef with smoked gouda sauce waffle. The waffles themselves were good, as I don't typically like waffles. The toppings were nothing spectacular.
IMG_3448.JPG

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Food pictures ahead!!!!
Brazil was right next to Belgium, so I got the waffles and hubby got our Brazilian treats, and we met in the nice seating area in Brazil. (No garbage can table tops today!)
At Brazil we had the cheese bread (the texture was doughy inside but they were good), the pork belly was awesome too but too small to share.
IMG_3449.JPG

Hubby wanted some shrimp roll in Japan, so while he was in line I took pictures. No seafood for me, fish are friends not food.
IMG_3450.JPG
IMG_3455.JPG

IMG_3460.JPG

We skipped Morrocco and America, nothing was really calling to us there. So we stopped in Italy and Poland. I got a great beer from Poland, the food in Italy could have been skipped. I got the chicken marsala. It was basically flavorless and the bread was a little stale. The chicken itself was moist. I stopped in Italy during Flower and Garden early in the year, and it was a forgettable experience. If I'm there for any festival again, I might just skip by it.
IMG_3463.JPG
IMG_3462.JPG

The kielbasa and potato pierogies with caramelized onions from Poland were wonderful. It was my second favorite dish at the Festival.
IMG_3464.JPG

From Germany and ham and cheese dish. It was okay, it needed salt and pepper and the onions were too crunchy for me.

IMG_3465.JPG

IMG_3473.JPG
IMG_3478.JPG

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Beef Skewers with mash and chimichurri sauce from Patagonia: very good, a little heavy on the oil but the flavor was great.
IMG_3482.JPG

Who doesn't love the look of Spaceship Earth, and then add the Food and Wine Festival promo décor....delightful!
IMG_3488.JPG

IMG_3494.JPG

I love the Living with the Land boat ride, my favorite part is when you turn the bend and are ready to enter the greenhouses.
IMG_3500.JPG

With all the Christmas displays in the other parks, I kind of forgot it was still Fall until I saw this.
IMG_3504.JPG

IMG_3508.JPG

IMG_3510.JPG

Being from Wisconsin I couldn't pass up the cheese booth! Fondue...yes please!
IMG_3513.JPG

IMG_3516.JPG
A warm chocolate cake with Irish cream sauce, very yummy and paired well with the Guinness. Okay, I lied earlier, I did have to do some garbage can eating here, it was really crowded in the UK area.
IMG_3517.JPG

Tomorrow I will finish day three for you with some Christmas party pictures!!!

PacNWTigger

Dang it!! I'm sooo hungry now! I should be reading your posts while I'm eating lunch instead of having my morning coffee...white chocolate mocha doesn't really cut it when you're looking at all of the wonderful food you got to enjoy. LOL!! :p

I also love the Christmas tree at Animal Kingdom. Those ornaments are beautiful!!

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Dang it!! I'm sooo hungry now! I should be reading your posts while I'm eating lunch instead of having my morning coffee...white chocolate mocha doesn't really cut it when you're looking at all of the wonderful food you got to enjoy. LOL!! :p

I also love the Christmas tree at Animal Kingdom. Those ornaments are beautiful!!

Sorry your white chocolate mocha wasn't a good sub for my food pictures. :) The food was really good. The AK tree is one of my favorites of WDW's trees, its decorations are pretty classy.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Sorry I didn't post any pictures yesterday, busy day yesterday. So here are some pictures of the Mickey's Christmas Party.

Here is us at the start of the party. Yes we are dorks and wore matching tee shirts.
IMG_3521.JPG

IMG_3523.JPG

I love the toy soldiers here in Town Square and in the parade. They are my favorite part of WDW's Christmas.

A close up at the tree.
IMG_3532.JPG

Since we were there a little after four pm, we went into the Emporium to get our Christmas party shopping out of the way. We were also able to send our packages to the front of the park and pick them up when we left. Which worked well. Although a strange little story. At the end of the night we went to the Chamber of Commerce to pick up our bags and there was an American lady (just clarifying that they lady was fluent in English for later)in front of us at the counter, once the cast member came out of the back he greeted her and asked how her night had been. She said, "Just okay." So he asked her if anything had gone wrong or what could have made it better. She said it was just okay and wouldn't give him any other answer and wouldn't look at him. So he just gave her a sorry I was trying to help look and got her package. It was just strange, if she had a complaint here was someone willing to help. Anyway, when it was our turn my husband stepped up and gave him our receipts and said "we had a fantastic night!". The cast member laughed and said I'm so glad you did! He seemed happy to see that we were happy with our night and friendly. Anyway, sorry for the rambling little story, back to pictures.

In the emporium. I love the holiday displays.
IMG_3533.JPG

IMG_3534.JPG

Lovely poinsettia tree.
IMG_3545.JPG

I loved the lighting on the castle.
IMG_3546.JPG

We had a lot to eat at Epcot, so we just shared some corn dog nuggets from Casey's and enjoyed it in the "grass" of the new hub area. The nuggets were good, but didn't hold a candle to Disneyland's corn dogs.
IMG_3548.JPG

Then we watched the castle lighting show, it was cute, but we were kind of far back so I didn't get a lot of good shots. For some reason hubby didn't want to get closer so we watched it by the Partners statue.
IMG_3554.JPG

IMG_3562.JPG

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
The castle is all "frozen" now.
IMG_3567.JPG

We really liked seeing the special party projections around the park. And we got our fair share of "free" cookies and cocoa. The cookies were okay not as good as a couple years ago but still fun to have.
IMG_3572.JPG

IMG_3573.JPG

IMG_3581.JPG

IMG_3582.JPG

IMG_3584.JPG

IMG_3596.JPG

IMG_3599.JPG

IMG_3601.JPG

The acapella group Voice Play was really fun to listen to. Sorry I didn't get a better pic.
IMG_3603.JPG

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Your holiday pictures are such a treat! You really brought the holiday cheer in your photos, to those of us at home who are unable to attend the festivities.

Kudos to you and your hubby for telling the CM that you had a fantastic time, and for brightening up his day. :happy: I wish more people who had an enjoyable time would share those sentiments with the CMs, as I'm sure it must add some happiness to their day as well.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom