News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

FigmentJedi

Interesting question ... physically place EPCOT on its own anywhere else in the world ... no MK no other park to hop to ... will it still draw like it does or can it even survive on its own?
Considering the decline of the whole World's Fair concept in general, probably not, but really, I don't think any of the non-castle parks could stand independently from Disney. Animal Kingdom's had identity issues from the start with people dismissing it as an expensive zoo, Studios could be a crowd-drawer in theory, but the lack of attractions has always been an issue.

Only park I could legit see standing apart from a castle park and the Disney brand is Tokyo Disneysea.

Miss Heinous

Considering the decline of the whole World's Fair concept in general, probably not, but really, I don't think any of the non-castle parks could stand independently from Disney. Animal Kingdom's had identity issues from the start with people dismissing it as an expensive zoo, Studios could be a crowd-drawer in theory, but the lack of attractions has always been an issue.

Only park I could legit see standing apart from a castle park and the Disney brand is Tokyo Disneysea.
I think Disney California Adventure is also a good contender.

Miss Heinous

Remodel's great and all, but it still has that core issue of being a park about California in California, and most of its current success is based primarily on Carsland.
And World of Color; Soarin; Aladdin the Musical; Tower of Terror; California Screamin'; Mad T Party; Toy Story Midway Mania; the Carthay Circle Restaurant; the list goes on.

lazyboy97o

World's Fairs haven't really declined and continue to be held, including this year. Americans just don't think of them anymore because the US governments no longer actively participate.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
When I see people complaining that EPCOT isn't how it used to be, I think this...
I think this...

image.jpeg

There's plenty more where they came from.

Last edited:

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
All of which predicated on the wrong idea that kids can only be entertained with things they already know. Kids being entertained has nothing to do with including characters.

All I'm saying is kids are likely more entertained having some characters in and around world showcase than watching lumberjacks and a mariachi band whether we like it or not

The Empress Lilly

All I'm saying is kids are likely more entertained having some characters in and around world showcase than watching lumberjacks and a mariachi band whether we like it or not
There was a delicious, upscale, succesful restaurant that served popular world cuisine. Management replaced it for a McDonald's because kids want happy meals.

The Art Institute of Chicago was a gorgeous, succesful art museum. It replaced its collection for pictures of Ronald Mcdonald because kids relate easier to clowns.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
There was a delicious, upscale, succesful restaurant that served popular world cuisine. Management replaced it for a McDonald's because kids want happy meals.

The Art Institute of Chicago was a gorgeous, succesful art museum. It replaced its collection for pictures of Ronald Mcdonald because kids relate easier to clowns.

haha you all still aren't getting what I am saying...and that's ok...different opinions... now Frozen is obviously an exception because it is going to take over the Norwegian pavilion... but having a few character meet and greet photo ops around world showcase isn't going hurt the adults who enjoy exploring each county or getting drunk at food and wine, yet it will appeal to some kids.... therefore adults like me who enjoy exploring each county and have kids like me who enjoy characters and not necessarily exploring each county like an adult...we can both travel around world showcase together and each enjoy bits and pieces of it... otherwise some younger children may not be as into just the adult side of world showcase....that's all I'm saying. Characters should NOT take over World Showcase...but embedding some within here and there without taking away other attractions I have no problem with.

Again, I do not approve of Frozen taking over Norway...they should have built a frozenland in DHS or MK but things like kidcot sites, character photo ops, etc. I'm ok with. Disney is good about catering to many ages in different ways....and let's face it, whether we like it or not EPCOT Center the way it used to be when it first opened will likely never be again, same with MGM/Hollywood Studios.

Let's just be happy Duffy is gone lol

Last edited:

Chris82

I think this...

View attachment 120757

The rise and decline of Wonders of Life is really shocking to me - I remember when it used to be jam-packed all the time. And then suddenly - it wasn't. Theme park guest psychology is interesting - did all the guests suddenly realize that Body Wars was a pale imitation of Star Tours? Or did the pavilion's out-of-the-way location mean that you had to have a critical mass of guests to follow to even realize that the pavilion was there?

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
I think this...

View attachment 120757

Just got caught in the rabbit hole of lostepcot.com and man its so sad to see what Epcot has become. I will fully admit, most of the sadness is from nostalgia but another piece of that is that there was so much cohesiveness within Future World at the time (1982 - 2000 IMO). Each pavilion had a purpose. Each pavilion had a dedicated symbol. Each pavilion educated me as a child. All these elements are missing, sans "The Land".

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
I get so tired of this "what about the children" crap. If you want your prince or princess entertained with Disney characters, take them to Magic Kingdom.
I also agree with you with the only caveat being that there were always characters at Epcot from day one. Obviously that wasn't Epcot's focus at the time, education was. There just so happened to be the occasional Chip and Dale sighting, Dreamcatcher/Figment etc.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
I have no problem with the characters originally created for Epcot. I've edited my post to reflect accordingly
Got it. I remember as a kid, my parents always said Epcot was a 2 day park. We just couldn't see everything in one day, mainly because of the sheer number of attractions/pavilions and also because there used yo be massive crowds at Epcot.

The Empress Lilly

I get so tired of this "what about the children" crap. If you want your prince or princess entertained with Disney characters, take them to Magic Kingdom.

Edit: And by Disney characters I mean The Fab Five, Belle, Snow White, etc etc. Not the one created especially for Epcot (Dreamfinder, Figment, etc).
"....take them to Fantasyland". ;)

Or your local kindergarten. Or Disney store.

Bocabear

Got it. I remember as a kid, my parents always said Epcot was a 2 day park. We just couldn't see everything in one day, mainly because of the sheer number of attractions/pavilions and also because there used yo be massive crowds at Epcot.
It was amazing...I think if they had implemented some of the plans from the Project Gemini idea, it could have worked and made EPCOT more relevent and more popular. If each of the countries actually had some sort of attraction other than a shop and restaurant... that is 5 new attractions for UK, Morroco, Italy, Germany , and Japan.... In Future World, If World Of Motion had gotten their Autopia, If The Land had gotten it's Suspended Rainforest roller coaster, Imagination had gotten it's upgraded ride instead of tearing it all out, Innovations and Communicore had updated their presentations rather than let them go dormant... EPCOT would be the most amazing Theme Park on the planet...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom