A Spirited Perfect Ten

Nubs70

I was so, so close to buying it and I chickened out. However, I did still buy the PS4 standard Battlefront bundle and my kid may or may not be getting basically every single Star Wars Infinity character for Christmas. (I couldn't help it -- what, were we going to just not HAVE Yoda?! Or Obi-Wan, for God's sake?! I don't think so.)

I said it in another thread, I will say it again: Disney are diabolical geniuses. Excuse me while I wave goodbye to whatever was left of my money.
Read the reviews on Amazon. The game, while visually stunning, blows chunks. I may need to make an emergency purchase of Fallout 4

polynesiangirl

Read the reviews on Amazon. The game, while visually stunning, blows chunks. I may need to make an emergency purchase of Fallout 4

Rats. Oh well. We haven't played it yet. To be honest the purchase was more about the ps4 console than the game itself (it's meant to be an Xmas gift for the household,) so it's ok if it's not amazing. We're not hardcore gamers as it is anyhow.

NowInc

As someone who owns both games...both are fantastic. Battlefront is a bit barren in modes/maps for now but EA just announced they are going to release a bunch of free DLC soon (in addition to the $60 worth of paid content). I admit, I mostly stick to ship battles as Its what I am apparently best at, but I find it quite fun..especially for quick matches whenever I have the time.

Fallout requires a HUGE commitment. Not everyone's cup of tea. That being said, its a great value as far as what you get for the price. You're looking at countless hours of content right out of the box.

Cesar R M

SW not doing well video game side...
They were dumb, there were a lot of AA releases AT SAME TIME.

for example.. The latest COD plus the new Starcraft expansion (final of the series "Legacy of the Void" ).. fallout 4..
right now, people in the PC side are praising more Fallout 4 and Starcraft II's expansion than any other game.
Pretty sure that the Xbox side is talking about HALO.

I didnt see much Star Wars ads around in websites.

Cesar R M

Not trying to be combative, and I realize you did post the link to the full article so good on ya mate.

But...the portion of the article that you quoted is only half the story. The article goes on to say that GameStop was disappointed in physical sales (as in customers actually coming to their stores) and then emphasized that a big part of the reason for this situation is the ever increasing percentage of digital purchases.

GameStop also expressed disappointment in physical purchases of the most recent Halo installment and Fallout 4 (which has been a big hit) again, that disappointment resulting from increasing digital sales.

Digital purchases are completed from an individual's gaming console and forget having to leave home, they don't even have to leave their couch. Digital purchase by the customer cuts GameStop right out of the loop. It's just another change in how media/content is delivered, and much like Blockbuster Video, the GameStops of the world may find that extinction is inevitable.

To get a true picture of sales of any game you need the combined totals of physical and digital purchases. Just because GameStop continues to become more and more irrelevant doesn't mean any particular game is a flop.
This is correct.
This is why EA created their own version of digital delivery platform. aka "ORIGIN". to fight against Valve's giant behemoth in the PC market.
hell, a lot of companies have tried to make their own digital delivery platforms...
not many sucess.
Then you get these famous "wholesalers" who buy hundred of keys to get better prices, and resell them at cheaper levels to the public online (imitating the method used by huge travel conglomerates like expedia).
Physical buying in store is a dying breed. Id rather buy my Collector's from Amazon. :p

There's also the factor of EA's awful money-gouging practices wearing thin on consumers. Battlefront only has four planets out of the box (Free Jakku DLC in a few weeks making that five) with limited single player options and only one real stand-out multiplayer mode (Walker Assault) that the others are pretty much just variants of. Add in a lack of space battles because actual developer quote "Space battles are boring and not fun" and no prequel locales and you got a game that only offers a fraction of what the first two Battlefronts did almost 10 years ago for 60 bucks. Add in the 50 dollar DLC Season Passes EA's already selling and that's an 110 dollar game.

Disney made a terrible call giving EA exclusive Star Wars rights
We can all blame COD makers for pushing the DLC shoved on us (Infinity Wards, Treyarch, studios of another company as bad as EA.... ACTIVISION).
Its funny, because some companies can earn the HUGE fans favour by releasing constant new content (Valvle who gives craploads of Team Fortress 2 content since its release).

Cesar R M

A thought on why I dont own Star Wars:Battlefront - I am not buying a new console.

I am not an early adopter of Video Game consoles. It took me years to get a PS3. It took me years to get a PS2. I am not going to drop hundreds of dollars on a console (or thousands for a pimped out PC for gaming) unless I find it worth it. Yes, I want Fallout4. Yes, I want to play Battlefront but it really just looks like its only a FPS (first person shooter) where you just run around and shoot other people. I've played those games before (The Wolfenstein Enemy Territory game) and I prefered being the engineers or those that worked to getting an objective, not just running around and shooting other people. Not totally my jam.

I can survive without it.....
Seconding on the consoles dave. It took me almost 5 years to get the PS3.. and I loved it for the Ratchet and Clank games.

by the way, if you do not like shooters, give the BIOSHOCK games a try..
and a similar styled SOMA for PC.
Those games are gems.

I need a better deal on a PS4 first. Like $200 and it does my laundry.
The Messi version (sports) of the PS4 was like 100 USD cheaper a few days ago in Amazon.

PhotoDave219

As someone who owns both games...both are fantastic. Battlefront is a bit barren in modes/maps for now but EA just announced they are going to release a bunch of free DLC soon (in addition to the $60 worth of paid content). I admit, I mostly stick to ship battles as Its what I am apparently best at, but I find it quite fun..especially for quick matches whenever I have the time.

Fallout requires a HUGE commitment. Not everyone's cup of tea. That being said, its a great value as far as what you get for the price. You're looking at countless hours of content right out of the box.

I really enjoyed Fallout 3. And all the add-ons. Except the fact that the game would crash constantly on my PS3..... Beyond that, I'm fine with a very long journey.

NearTheEars

A thought on why I dont own Star Wars:Battlefront - I am not buying a new console.

I am not an early adopter of Video Game consoles. It took me years to get a PS3. It took me years to get a PS2. I am not going to drop hundreds of dollars on a console (or thousands for a pimped out PC for gaming) unless I find it worth it. Yes, I want Fallout4. Yes, I want to play Battlefront but it really just looks like its only a FPS (first person shooter) where you just run around and shoot other people. I've played those games before (The Wolfenstein Enemy Territory game) and I prefered being the engineers or those that worked to getting an objective, not just running around and shooting other people. Not totally my jam.

I can survive without it.....

Same here. I didn't get a PS3 until 2011. I also have a short attention span, so video games don't appeal that much to me. I basically only own sports games because they have a set length of time that I can budget for playing.

Anything other than sports has proven to be a waste of money for me, like that new to me Assassins Creed game I bought because I thought I'd actually play it because it had a historical premise. Still in the box. Ha.

But my PS3 is mostly a Netflix and Hulu machine now.

stevehousse

This is correct.
This is why EA created their own version of digital delivery platform. aka "ORIGIN". to fight against Valve's giant behemoth in the PC market.
hell, a lot of companies have tried to make their own digital delivery platforms...
not many sucess.
Then you get these famous "wholesalers" who buy hundred of keys to get better prices, and resell them at cheaper levels to the public online (imitating the method used by huge travel conglomerates like expedia).
Physical buying in store is a dying breed. Id rather buy my Collector's from Amazon. :p

We can all blame COD makers for pushing the DLC shoved on us (Infinity Wards, Treyarch, studios of another company as bad as EA.... ACTIVISION).
Its funny, because some companies can earn the HUGE fans favour by releasing constant new content (Valvle who gives craploads of Team Fortress 2 content since its release).

If anyone wants to put the blame on DLCs, it's because of us, the consumer. If Xbox and PS were to release these games and included everything and not seperate, your single video game would cost $100 or more! Which means no one would buy them if that were the case.

Cesar R M

If anyone wants to put the blame on DLCs, it's because of us, the consumer. If Xbox and PS were to release these games and included everything and not seperate, your single video game would cost $100 or more! Which means no one would buy them if that were the case.
why would they cost 100$?
its the same content that did cost 60$ or less years ago.

this image explains pretty much what is going on.

IbbgBVi.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom