What is there for my Husband to do?

The90skid

Literally, my best two memories from my most recent Disney cruise were lounging on deck while drinking a smoothie and watching Peter Pan all the way through AND falling asleep on a hammock on Castaway Key (Cay? Kay? Sorry about the spelling.)

jme

I'll list some more free stuff he might be into:
-Character Meets (on Ship and on Castaway Cay)
-Castaway Cay 5k (if he's into running) it even comes with a finishers medal
-Anyone Can Cook classes (watch the chefs make something, then try it and take home a recipe card)
-Watch a game in the Sports Bar
-Pin Trading (Officer Pin trading on last night where the ship Officers come out to lobby in uniform and pin trade/meet with guests)
-The live shows (as mentioned if he likes FotLK, he'll like these)
-Free movies in the theatre
-Making of the Dream tour
-Mini-golf
-Aquaduck (Waterslide on a raft. No need to swim, at the end you climb off raft into ankle deep water)
-Crab Races on Castaway Cay
-Pirate Night

Low cost stuff:
-Spa "Rainforest" day pass - $16 i think? You get access all day to the co-ed spa room that has 4 scented showers (bathing suits on) with different 'programmed' spray patterns, a steam room, a hammam, and a dry sauna. Also a private deck with some heated loungers and hot tubs. A really nice relaxing zone for some husband/wife away from the kids time
-Mixology classes/tasting classes (Including a beer tasting class he may enjoy)
-Island Bike Rental
-Snorkeling maybe - hear me out! At castaway all snorkeling is self contained in a 'lane' at the family beach, and everyone is required to wear flippers and a vest. So even without being able to "swim", he could probably manage to kick his legs and otherwise "float"

Trust me, if he likes "all things Disney", he'll have an amazing time on the cruise.

ExtinctJenn

Original Poster
The other thing to consider is that maybe a cruise actually isn't something your husband would enjoy. No reason to take him kicking and screaming.
If I'm being honest, despite all the suggestions that make me realize how great cruising is, this just may not be something for him. I love all the suggestions but he's just not into much of the stuff people have shared. While lying on a chair relaxing sounds great, he's a stay-at-home dad so he's able to get some relaxing time in every day. In fact, that's why he loves our visits to WDW so much. He loves the jumping from ride to ride, park to park, etc. The excitement of it all. When you really think about it, especially during the school year, his days are kind of boring. :)

-Snorkeling maybe - hear me out! At castaway all snorkeling is self contained in a 'lane' at the family beach, and everyone is required to wear flippers and a vest. So even without being able to "swim", he could probably manage to kick his legs and otherwise "float"
Believe it or not, he cannot float. He sinks like a stone. Sure with a life vest that wouldn't happen but... he had a traumatic experience as a kid and his inability to swim isn't so much because he "physically" can't, it's because he mentally can't. That said, we have a little 3 foot pool that he loves spending time in because he can stand or get on a floaty and soak up some sun and if I did force him along (to @French Quarter's point above) he would definitely enjoy sticking his toes in and maybe even doing the water slide.

Spending time going to the movies like @jme suggested might be a great option for your hubby.
I think that is indeed a great idea. There were a lot of suggestions (thank you EVERYONE) that I think are things he'd enjoy. I think the concern is more that eventually he'd get bored. We talked a bit about it a few days ago and ultimately what I said to him is it's a new Disney experience, and our son desperately wants to do it, so maybe we try it once and if we realize it's just not for us, we never have to do it again. We shall see. I certainly don't want to pressure him into it because then, as anyone would, he'll come into it already set that he's unhappy about being there... and that's no fun for any of us!

ExtinctJenn

Original Poster
Sooooo not an option. As shared in the post I referenced, funds are extremely limited and the whole idea of considering this is due to an autistic child who had a difficult trip in January. Either way, I don't really consider Adventures By Disney to be Disney experience. It's fantastically run by Disney but beyond that, not the same category I thought was meant. :)

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Sooooo not an option. As shared in the post I referenced, funds are extremely limited and the whole idea of considering this is due to an autistic child who had a difficult trip in January. Either way, I don't really consider Adventures By Disney to be Disney experience. It's fantastically run by Disney but beyond that, not the same category I thought was meant. :)

Oh yeah. I agree with everything you say here. I just don't know other Disney options so it may be worth looking outside of Disney if you do not want to do a cruise exclusively or the parks exclusively.

The only other thing I can think of is possibly a land & sea trip where you do both WDW and a Disney Cruise?? Like 3 days at the parks and 4 days on a cruise. But again...it may get pricey.

ExtinctJenn

Original Poster
The only other thing I can think of is possibly a land & sea trip where you do both WDW and a Disney Cruise?? Like 3 days at the parks and 4 days on a cruise. But again...it may get pricey.
Honestly, if we manage to avoid the withdrawal symptoms of a WDW trip I'll be amazed but we're trying. :)

French Quarter

Well, you might not want to spring for them, but there are lots of other Disney options beyond WDW and the cruise. That's all I meant. Adventures by Disney offers a lot of different options in many different price ranges. There's also DL and Aulani. And there's the land and sea option to do a little of both cruise and WDW. They have Vero Beach in Florida too, right?

Bolna

I am really sorry for the difficulties you are in. But it somehow sounds like the type of vacation that would be good for your son is not what woudl interest your husband. And I can understand that. Since he provides the type of environment that your son needs on a daily basis, he wants to take a break from it now and then. I know that you are looking for a family vacation, but maybe it would be best for all of you, if you go on the cruise with your son and your husband does a solo trip? Just a thought, not trying to tell you what to do, just trying to think outside the box a little. :)

ExtinctJenn

Original Poster
I am really sorry for the difficulties you are in. But it somehow sounds like the type of vacation that would be good for your son is not what woudl interest your husband. And I can understand that. Since he provides the type of environment that your son needs on a daily basis, he wants to take a break from it now and then. I know that you are looking for a family vacation, but maybe it would be best for all of you, if you go on the cruise with your son and your husband does a solo trip? Just a thought, not trying to tell you what to do, just trying to think outside the box a little. :)
Thanks for the comment! I have considered the idea but as the one vacation we take a year is our opportunity to be a family, I just don't think separating would be in our best interest. If I'm being 100% honest, if we manage to make it through 2016 without going back to WDW I'll be amazed. We are such a Disney Parks family and I think the reason we have such a hard time thinking of other options is because that's just what we've always done. This experience we had in January was a shock to the system and I think as a result, we just don't want to chance repeating that. All that said, if my husband and I don't go crazy from withdrawal it'll be a surprise. LOL!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom