Applying random open position so I could transfer later to...?

VioletRose

Original Poster
Hi thanks for taking the chance on reading my post. Ill try to make it brief.
Anyways, I am a sound engineer. Went to school for it and been doing freelance work both studio and live reinforcement for the past couple of years.
With that being said, I really really really want to work at Disneyland as an entertainment stage tech and make a career out of it and move my way up the ladder. However, I have realized how difficult it is to even get in. An open position is kinda rare since they post it only for 11-24 hrs and most likely someone else got in through some networking from the inside. Also, a friend of mine who just got a job as a stage tech told me they just hired 300 stage techs at the beginning of the year, so probably wont be a while til they have openings....Kinda sucks for those who want a chance from the outside.

But my question is if you think it is worth me applying a random position at disneyland and just wait until that tech position opens up so I could transfer? Maybe it will give me more leverage if the recruiter knew I am working at disney? I just applied for a 3rd shift custodial at Disney..the pay is pretty bad but I also want that tech position pretty badly! Also, I just got hired to work for USPS, so I figured I could just work for usps til that tech opens...or maybe go for the custodial position if they end up hiring me in hopes of transferring.
I just need opinions!
Thanks!

Domosuke

It's up to you, and it depends on the type of person you are as to what decision you want to make.

Me personally, I have Hotel and Clerical experience, I worked at H&R block as a receptionist, and I originally applied around this time last year for attractions as it was the only department they were hiring for, hoping to get into Hotels or Merchandise by transferring. I was not hired onto attractions though, I was hired onto Quick Service Food, or the fast food stands they have. I did not enjoy it as much and I left the company after only a couple weeks of working, possibly due to my unhappiness of the role I had. I'm hoping to get rehired one day in a different department as I am on Restricted Rehire meaning that I can come back.

But in retrospect, I will definitely wait until the disney career page has a role that I'm happy with.

Mind you, even if you do apply to the position you want, there is a chance you could be put onto the waiting list, so beware of that.

The reason why I was hired onto foods even though I applied to a different position, is because foods and perhaps maybe even custodial and possibly housekeeping have really high turnover. Meaning that these positions for whatever reasons (which are not mine to ponder or speculate on), have lots of employees coming in and out and thus the need for high demand for employees.

How the transfer protocol works, is that you must work through your probation period which is working for at least 120 days or four months. This is just the beginning though and usually transfers are best done by employees who work in their hired on department for at least 6 months to a year.

The next step is to make sure that the department(s) you want to transfer onto are currently needing employees. Then you must get the approval of all your current managers and coordinators This is difficult and a double edged sword as no lead or manager wants an employee who has been working in their department for so long, and has had good performance (as in order to qualify for a transfer, you must have a near flawless point sheet; no tardies, no reprimands, no coachings, lots of praise/awards). In turn, they understand that transfers do happen, and want to make sure the employee they are losing will be better off transferring. Usually transfers can be done in vain and many people regret not staying in their department as their seniority, and I believe their probation period starts all over again.

The best bet is to avoid them denying your transfer, or making them approve it more likely. is that yo should probably prove to them or give them a good reason as to why you want to transfer. Otherwise you are not going to get that transfer. For example if your major is photography, and your'e working custodial, they might accept your transfer because of that. If you constantly get allergies due to being around food and you want a non food related position like front gate, they might accept your transfer.

So the decision is yours. Either wait until a position you like opens up that way you could possibly avoid a transfer, or you apply to whatever they have open and keeping what I said in mind in that transfers are not easy and are complex.

Best of luck. :)

Dasnowz

you have to work in your department for 6 months before being eligible for transfer. you can have up to 4 points on your record card. transfer requests are done online using transfer genie on the hub. your managers and such have no need to know you put in to transfer, when a spot comes open that you applied for on transfer genie you receive a call and either accept or turn it down if you accept you are given a start date and your leaders are sent emails with all the info on it. when you request a transfer you can put in for 3 different jobs.. hth helps with transfer requirements.

VioletRose

Original Poster
It's up to you, and it depends on the type of person you are as to what decision you want to make.

Me personally, I have Hotel and Clerical experience, I worked at H&R block as a receptionist, and I originally applied around this time last year for attractions as it was the only department they were hiring for, hoping to get into Hotels or Merchandise by transferring. I was not hired onto attractions though, I was hired onto Quick Service Food, or the fast food stands they have. I did not enjoy it as much and I left the company after only a couple weeks of working, possibly due to my unhappiness of the role I had. I'm hoping to get rehired one day in a different department as I am on Restricted Rehire meaning that I can come back.

But in retrospect, I will definitely wait until the disney career page has a role that I'm happy with.

Mind you, even if you do apply to the position you want, there is a chance you could be put onto the waiting list, so beware of that.

The reason why I was hired onto foods even though I applied to a different position, is because foods and perhaps maybe even custodial and possibly housekeeping have really high turnover. Meaning that these positions for whatever reasons (which are not mine to ponder or speculate on), have lots of employees coming in and out and thus the need for high demand for employees.

How the transfer protocol works, is that you must work through your probation period which is working for at least 120 days or four months. This is just the beginning though and usually transfers are best done by employees who work in their hired on department for at least 6 months to a year.

The next step is to make sure that the department(s) you want to transfer onto are currently needing employees. Then you must get the approval of all your current managers and coordinators This is difficult and a double edged sword as no lead or manager wants an employee who has been working in their department for so long, and has had good performance (as in order to qualify for a transfer, you must have a near flawless point sheet; no tardies, no reprimands, no coachings, lots of praise/awards). In turn, they understand that transfers do happen, and want to make sure the employee they are losing will be better off transferring. Usually transfers can be done in vain and many people regret not staying in their department as their seniority, and I believe their probation period starts all over again.

The best bet is to avoid them denying your transfer, or making them approve it more likely. is that yo should probably prove to them or give them a good reason as to why you want to transfer. Otherwise you are not going to get that transfer. For example if your major is photography, and your'e working custodial, they might accept your transfer because of that. If you constantly get allergies due to being around food and you want a non food related position like front gate, they might accept your transfer.

So the decision is yours. Either wait until a position you like opens up that way you could possibly avoid a transfer, or you apply to whatever they have open and keeping what I said in mind in that transfers are not easy and are complex.

Wow you answered my question and went beyond into other helpful information. I think I made up my mind and just wait for that position to open up. All that transfer process sounds exhausting and I don't think working for $10 for who knows how long will let me survive! thanks!

Dasnowz

Do you know that now that you have applied you have to wait 6 months before you can apply to Disney again? Good luck and I hope the job you want does not come open within that time frame.

VioletRose

Original Poster
Do you know that now that you have applied you have to wait 6 months before you can apply to Disney again? Good luck and I hope the job you want does not come open within that time frame.
I applied for the random position for disney but I did not follow through their web interview. so I am banned for 6 months? that sucks..

Domosuke

I applied for the random position for disney but I did not follow through their web interview. so I am banned for 6 months? that sucks..

WBI can be tricky. When given Strongly Agree/Disagree, agree/disagree, and neutral;

Try to not click neutral more than three times, if not at all if applicable. They want people who have an opinion.

Same goes for simply going slightly in the middle and clicking agree or disagree. I'm not saying you can't pick those, but you have to be confident.

STRONGLY stand by the statement whether or agree or disagree.

Also don't contradict yourself. If you answered agree to "I am a perfectionist", and you disagree to the question, "I never make mistakes" that is a contradiction and you could fall the WBI based on that.

VioletRose

Original Poster
WBI can be tricky. When given Strongly Agree/Disagree, agree/disagree, and neutral;

Try to not click neutral more than three times, if not at all if applicable. They want people who have an opinion.

Same goes for simply going slightly in the middle and clicking agree or disagree. I'm not saying you can't pick those, but you have to be confident.

STRONGLY stand by the statement whether or agree or disagree.

Also don't contradict yourself. If you answered agree to "I am a perfectionist", and you disagree to the question, "I never make mistakes" that is a contradiction and you could fall the WBI based on that.

Thanks for the insight. Eek I kind of put more than three neutral answers. I already submitted that part and just scheduled an interview next week. USPS that supposedly hired me are known to prolong the actual training date so I just going to go with disney and hope I could get in even if itll take six months to transfer. What were you positions at disneyland?

Domosuke

Sorry for the late reply.

I only had one position which was Quick Service Food, even though technically I interviewed for three different other roles.

I interviewed at first to be a Vacation Planner, during my interview I was instead offered the possibility of a Merchandise position in which I accepted, and I was told I would be contacted the following day. The next day I was told I was not chosen and to reapply in six months.

So I did just that, I then applied for an attractions position. During my interview I was instead offered the possibility of a Quick Service Food position in which I accepted, to which I was then hired onto immediately. I regretted taking this offer as twice the role I wanted to do, I was not given yet decided to give it a try, when I was unhappy, I then left the company a couple weeks after that and now I'm hoping to give it another shot and see what happens.

Paigelawson

you have to work in your department for 6 months before being eligible for transfer. you can have up to 4 points on your record card. transfer requests are done online using transfer genie on the hub. your managers and such have no need to know you put in to transfer, when a spot comes open that you applied for on transfer genie you receive a call and either accept or turn it down if you accept you are given a start date and your leaders are sent emails with all the info on it. when you request a transfer you can put in for 3 different jobs.. hth helps with transfer requirements.
Are you saying that if you apply to transfer on transfer genie before your 6 months you will get up to 4 points or is it you can have 4 points and still transfer? I ask because I am a new employee. 60 ish days and I applied to transfer on genie and it denied me because of my short time. I am worried now I will be reprimanded or it will affect my future with the company. To be clear, I only did it online and spoke to no one in my department. Thanks for any guidance

JoeCamel

Are you saying that if you apply to transfer on transfer genie before your 6 months you will get up to 4 points or is it you can have 4 points and still transfer? I ask because I am a new employee. 60 ish days and I applied to transfer on genie and it denied me because of my short time. I am worried now I will be reprimanded or it will affect my future with the company. To be clear, I only did it online and spoke to no one in my department. Thanks for any guidance
You are asking current policy of a 7 year old post? Might not be the most up to date source

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom