connect the Animal Kingdom by monorail

JohnD

There is nothing wrong with dreaming, wishing and/or hoping. Just because something is not realistic or probable doesn't mean it can't be discussed.

I'll entertain the wishful thinking -- About a year ago, someone suggested another line from Epcot to AK with a station at HS in-between. It would make Epcot a transfer point just as the TTC is a transfer point to MK. I recognize the fact it leaves out DS. In that case, add in a spur line from HS to DS.

G00fyDad

There is nothing wrong with dreaming, wishing and/or hoping. Just because something is not realistic or probable doesn't mean it can't be discussed.

True. But it would be nice if the people who consistently ignore the other threads already on the topic, who also start a new thread on the same topic didn't get upset when someone doesn't agree with them. You also have to consider who this original poster is. I'm thoroughly stunned that this person didn't make a comment that they had a long behind the scenes tour at Disney and it took them behind the scenes of the monorail process where the senior VP of Disney Parks explained all about a new and exciting monorail system coming.

Ralphlaw

I would be happy if it went directly to AK, no resort stops along the way. Maybe just AKL if the loop allowed it.

Actually, I don't think that's where the demand is. Bouncing from park to park brings in a few crowded buses at times like park closings, but the real heavy lifting all day long is from resorts to parks, and from the Transportation and Ticket center to MK and Epcot. Taking a bus, for example, in the morning or hours other than closing times from park to park is a very lonely experience. This means that park to park monorails would generally be almost empty throughout most of the day. It's not wise to blow $100,000,000 on monorail infrastructure that's only sparsely used for the vast majority of hours.

One possible plus to monorail expansion would be the need for fewer buses. This bus savings would be negligible if you're only saving a few bus trips during the day, and providing relief when one park closes for the park hoppers in the crowd. Meanwhile, resort buses are pretty busy throughout the whole day.

French Quarter

True. But it would be nice if the people who consistently ignore the other threads already on the topic, who also start a new thread on the same topic didn't get upset when someone doesn't agree with them. You also have to consider who this original poster is. I'm thoroughly stunned that this person didn't make a comment that they had a long behind the scenes tour at Disney and it took them behind the scenes of the monorail process where the senior VP of Disney Parks explained all about a new and exciting monorail system coming.

I give people the benefit of the doubt on starting a new thread that duplicates a topic. This has happened to me. I do not find it easy to find things using search. (And that's not just here but on other message boards too.)

As for personalities, well, I would rather stick to discussing topics than gossiping about people.

Tony the Tigger

I can't speak for the OP's posting record as I am new. But surely you must realize that every comment on this thread is speculation and conjecture. None of us know with 100% certainty what Disney will do, but we can all weigh the evidence and propose ideas. I thought the whole point of a discussion board about Disney topics was to discuss Disney topics, not shut down opinions because they don't seem valid. Others a d myself happen to think Disney should buld new monorail lines. Yourself and others think opposite. That is the point of having a discussion.

Welcome to the boards. I have had similar thoughts myself. There are a handful of Disney snobs and know it alls who live to shut people down as if they make the rules or talk to Walt in a séance every night.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions and ideas. Some of these folks need a hobby or a therapist. Don't let them discourage you.

Mouse_Trap

Getting to the AK is not easy, the AK by distance makes it a park you don't hop easily. it needs a connection to the others to make it feel like a part of the group and thin the crowds.
There is an effort to discourage park hopping.

For the pros and cons of how much monorails cost try a thread search. It's been discussed numerous times.

Having money doesn't mean they want to spend it. See Space Mountain, most of Futureworld etc etc

And if you can't find anything concrete by searching, something I posted 12 months ago here.....
The Honolulu light rail system currently being built has budgeted an average of $57.5m a mile for track. Despite being light rail not monorail, it's comparable in the fact that's it elevated to the same kind of height. But given how heavily congested significant parts of it route is, I can imagine that's significantly higher than what the cost would be at WDW without the congestion (existing buildings, road etc) and the same level of planning consent. Still, you probably wouldn't get much change from $30m a mile just in track costs.

By comparison in the last year, Bob Iger 'earned' $46.5m. The track distance between Epcot and the TTC is a little over 3 miles.

Can they afford it? Heck yes. Disney Parks & Resorts earned profit $2.66bn last year (Disney as a whole $13bn profit).
Will they do it? As many people have already stated, almost certainly not because of that cost.

Disney hasn't scraped together the dollars for a new E-ticket in over a decade now (maybe $100-150 for something very good), there's no way they are going to invest that and more connecting another park to the monorail which will have close to zero ROI.

I'd love to see them connect up all the parks and resorts, and eliminate all the buses (at least 99% anyway). Is it ever going to happen? I don' see it.

POLY LOVER

Original Poster
And if you can't find anything concrete by searching, something I posted 12 months ago here.....
The Honolulu light rail system currently being built has budgeted an average of $57.5m a mile for track. Despite being light rail not monorail, it's comparable in the fact that's it elevated to the same kind of height. But given how heavily congested significant parts of it route is, I can imagine that's significantly higher than what the cost would be at WDW without the congestion (existing buildings, road etc) and the same level of planning consent. Still, you probably wouldn't get much change from $30m a mile just in track costs.

By comparison in the last year, Bob Iger 'earned' $46.5m. The track distance between Epcot and the TTC is a little over 3 miles.

Can they afford it? Heck yes. Disney Parks & Resorts earned profit $2.66bn last year (Disney as a whole $13bn profit).
Will they do it? As many people have already stated, almost certainly not because of that cost.

Disney hasn't scraped together the dollars for a new E-ticket in over a decade now (maybe $100-150 for something very good), there's no way they are going to invest that and more connecting another park to the monorail which will have close to zero ROI.

I'd love to see them connect up all the parks and resorts, and eliminate all the buses (at least 99% anyway). Is it ever going to happen? I don' see it.

Great post, I think there is an ROI , it comes in the form of guest comfort and it is kind of an E Ticket ride. you are probably right it won,t get built under this leadership. Maybe the progressive thinkers and dreamers are quited by the bean counters.

Ralphlaw

Again, monorails from park to park would not be tremendously busy except when one park closes and another park is staying open. The all day demand comes from buses to and from parks and resorts, which would be very expensive. Remember that demand from the Transportation and Ticket Center to Epcot is busy all day primarily from the resort guests at Baylake, Polynesian, and Grand Floridian going to and from Epcot. Yes, there are some park hoppers between MK and Epcot, but it's the Resort to park traffic that keeps that particular monorail line busy.

Now, the resorts are so spread out that connecting all of them by monorail would likely require a huge investment somewhere along the lines of 20+ miles, conservatively. That's somewhere between $500,000,000 and $1,000,000,000 dollars. Plus, if the track goes down, busses will have to pick up the slack.

I love monorails, and would love to see them from the Epcot resorts to AK. But let's get real here. For that kind of investment, the return is laughable.

Last edited:

trr1

or use these Ultra
int-4.jpg

POLY LOVER

Original Poster
why do some people feel they are compelled to police all the threads that they feel are not worthy of them. The last time I looked no one is forcing you to watch any thread. Its so easy, if you don't like a thread just ignore it. Its like TV or Radio , change the channel or just turn it off. Why be nasty or sarcastic for no reason? But I guess its your right to do it if you want. America a great place isn't it.

Tony the Tigger

why do some people feel they are compelled to police all the threads that they feel are not worthy of them. The last time I looked no one is forcing you to watch any thread. Its so easy, if you don't like a thread just ignore it. Its like TV or Radio , change the channel or just turn it off. Why be nasty or sarcastic for no reason? But I guess its your right to do it if you want. America a great place isn't it.

I blocked a couple or three people who did that to me on another thread. Apparently they are doing it to you on this thread also, because I see people responding to posts I haven't read.

Unlike The Attitude Crew, I think your idea, while possibly not the most practical, is certainly on the right track and addressing a real need. There is no reason to treat you badly or in a condescending way. I would hope genuine cast members would at least be polite even if they are off the clock.

For me, taking a bus from the resort to the park is one thing. Once I'm at the parks, the magic ends quickly when I am at a bus stop waiting to get to the next park. If you ever had to take a bus for any length of time in your real life, you probably won't think they are so great.

At least the Magic express bus is a little bit dressed up and has videos to watch. That would be an improvement.

mouse_luv

Ok, O Great One, in your unhumble opinion what should we do? Start a new thread in that forum? But then we would be duplicating a thread and that's a crime against humanity, apparently. So, instead of being sarcastic, why not be helpful and give some direction?

Yes because you know me oh so well and want to attack me over a stupid monorail thread?! Sounds like you are the oh so unhumble one? I get along just fine here, thank you very much. Just because myself and several others don't agree with your opinion doesn't allow for you to attack us and act like we are the ones in the wrong here.

A monorail expansion is NOT coming to the AK nor DHS nor anywhere else for that matter. If you want to beat your heads against the wall over it, so be it (in the transportation forum). Good day.

Check-Yourself-Before-You-Wreck-Yourself.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom