Tartans Treehouse HKDL

Disneysea05

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
image.jpg
My return to HKDL is fast approaching! I've been doing some reading and came across a photo of Tarzan's Treehouse covered in bamboo(?) scaffolding, but apparently still open to guests. It seems like it's been this way for several months.

I don't know how recent the picture was, but does anyone know if it's still like this today? Sure does detract from the Rivers in Adventureland.

What a difference....

image.jpg

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I'm glad they are themeing the Scaffolding by adding the bamboo..It looks much better than bare metal scaffolding.

Stevie Amsterdam

I'm glad they are themeing the Scaffolding by adding the bamboo..It looks much better than bare metal scaffolding.
It's not theming, although I see why you'd think that. Bamboo is used for scaffolding all over the place in Hong Kong (the city) instead of steal. But I agree that it fits so good with the Tarzan Tree theme ;)

unkadug

It's not theming, although I see why you'd think that. Bamboo is used for scaffolding all over the place in Hong Kong (the city) instead of steal. But I agree that it fits so good with the Tarzan Tree theme ;)
I've heard that before....I just assumed that since it was Disney that they actually used metal and then themed it.

Interesting.

Iwerks64

The bamboo scaffolding was up in May when I went. Seems like it's been up for at least a year. I've seen no noticeable change in the treehouse during that time, so I don't know what the scaffolding is for (unless it's just to clean and replace the plastic leaves).

unkadug

The bamboo scaffolding was up in May when I went. Seems like it's been up for at least a year. I've seen no noticeable change in the treehouse during that time, so I don't know what the scaffolding is for (unless it's just to clean and replace the plastic leaves).
Are they as bad over there about picking the leaves for souvenirs as they are over here?

Iwerks64

The bamboo looks okay from a distance, but the scrap plastic it's tied together with and the brown rags shielding spots don't look great up close. Talked to a CM while I was there. He said the bamboo has been up for two years and is part of "routine maintenance". But it would all be coming down this week for the 10th anniversary. I'll believe that when I see it. ;)

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Bamboo scaffolding is actually quite common in China even for major construction projects. It is about a 50/50 chance that this had nothing to do with theaming.

The picture below is of the 4 Seasons under construction in Hong Kong.

1280px-BambooConstructionHongKong.jpg

unkadug

Bamboo scaffolding is actually quite common in China even for major construction projects. It is about a 50/50 chance that this had nothing to do with theaming.

The picture below is of the 4 Seasons under construction in Hong Kong.

1280px-BambooConstructionHongKong.jpg
Metal scaffolding can be scary enough. I can't imagine climbing bamboo scaffolding.

Iwerks64

Bamboo scaffolding is the norm. It's 100% certain that this is not theming, especially with the plastic tie construction of it. Actually, seeing metal scaffolding in China would be... weird. What's scary is seeing the workers up atop those 50 story bamboo constructions.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Metal scaffolding can be scary enough. I can't imagine climbing bamboo scaffolding.
I whole heatedly agree although I have had to walk across a few roofs in my time with no sheeting and very little bracing. It is a good thing by blood pressure and heart rate are normally in the basement.

Disneysea05

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
The bamboo looks okay from a distance, but the scrap plastic it's tied together with and the brown rags shielding spots don't look great up close. Talked to a CM while I was there. He said the bamboo has been up for two years and is part of "routine maintenance". But it would all be coming down this week for the 10th anniversary. I'll believe that when I see it. ;)

Timing would seem too perfect. I'll be cautiously optimistic. Thanks for the info.

Disneysea05

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
My terrific return trip to Hong Kong has come and gone. The treehouse did have scaffolding when I was there, but they must have started taking it down because it was not nearly of an eyesore in person. The treehouse was mostly uncovered.

Thank you for the picture!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom