i-Phone 6 or 6s? Also whether or not to buy it outright (if I want to keep my unlimited data plan)

prberk

Original Poster
OK, I am a longstanding user of my i-Phone 4. It is a 16-gig and has served me well, but it is likely time to get an upgrade. I am not looking outside of iPhone because I use iTunes all the time (church on the computer, at home on the PC, and in the car on the phone with Bluetooth), including a lot of uploaded CDs, etc. I also use it for streaming live radio, but not really video.

I have an ancient plan from Alltel that is grandfathered into Verizon at about $84/month (total, including taxes), which includes unlimited data, and almost unlimited calling and texting (enough that i would never exceed them).

I am not into constantly upgrading. I like to buy a phone (like a car) and keep it for as long as I can. So, I like to make sure I buy something that will last a long time and be able to grow with me or with technology.

So, I have a couple of questions:

1. Which i-Phone? Is the 6s significantly better than 6? How about 5? Is it worth the price difference to go with 6s?

2. 64 gig or 128 gig? About $100 difference. I am thinking maybe go to the biggest, just so that I can not be limited in the future as I am now. A sort-of just-in-case thing. But it might be overkill. I have never, however bought a movie on iTunes or other place, though. (If I did, could I plug it into a regular HD TV -- Samsung -- and play it there? I have not tried that yet.)

3. The big question: Do I buy it outright? Right now the only way to keep my unlimited data plan is to buy it outright. Otherwise, I would have to give it up and get a modern Verizon plan. Right now I use about 3-4 gigs of data a month, mostly through radio streaming. But if I had a phone with more capacity, I might have more incentive to use more.

The Verizon representative told me at the store yesterday that they had received an e-mail (which she showed me) from corporate that beginning November 15 the grandfathered unlimited plans like mine would go up by $20/month unless they were currently in a contract (after which they would also go up). They also said that, at that same time, they would begin allowing people like me to keep the unlimited data plan and spread out the payments on the phone for 24 months. It is still buying out the phone, but spreading that out over 24 months. But for now I still only have the option of buying the phone outright (at one time) if I want to keep my unlimited data. They will not let me pay some of it down and billing the rest for the 6s, because Apple has restrictions on it as a new device for a while, not allowing Verizon to "charge it to my account" there -- not true for 6 or 5, though.

Also, today my old phone would trade in for an $18 credit to the account. If I do it after the change in mid-November and use the 24-month device payment plan, they would give me $100 to trade in my phone. (Of course I could always keep the old phone and donate it to someone in need.)

Anyway, please give me your thoughts.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Are you really out of WiFi that often where you stream 4 GB of data every month? I'm constantly streaming audio and video but with WiFi at home and WiFi at work I never even approach 1 GB unless I'm on vacation.

Regardless, you should buy it outright. The lease model is only valuable if you're going to upgrade every time you're eligible. If you buy and hold a phone for several years, you're better off paying cash, owning the phone, and having a very small monthly payment. My wife and I only have 1 GB of data each, but we own my Note 4 and her GS5 and our bill from T-Mobile is under $80 combined. $80 for one line isn't that great.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Definitely the 6s. 3D touch is a significant new feature that changes the whole interface to the phone and is something that many apps will begin to make use of.

For the minimal cost difference, you will have the best phone currently available, and it will serve you for the longest time.

In terms of storage, go as large as you can afford. More photos, more music, more apps, easier updates. You can never have enough storage.

lazyboy97o

Apple introduced their own payment plan with the iPhone 6s. It includes the AppleCare extended warranty so the lowest listed price is a bit higher. This payment plan is also independent from the carriers, allowing you to move around or avoid Verizon and AT&T's games over unlimited data.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom