What's going on with I-95 in South Carolina?

HolleBolleGijs

Original Poster
Will this impact our drive Wednesday into Thursday? Can't find solid information about whether that stretch of I-95 is closed indefinitely or if it'll be back up and running soon.

Does anyone know about any alternative routes to avoid that area (Florence-ish)? We're coming from PA.

Mike C

Record flooding in the area, rain may have stopped but all the upstream water has to go somewhere. Lake Marion is probably keeping it closed.

The South Carolina Dept. of transportation has a page on the closures

http://dbw.scdot.org/RoadConditionsemr/default.aspx

I-95 in there is closed until Friday based on that. But I think it's just an estimate. Depends on what the floods do. It's pretty bad with dams breaching, washed out roads and bridges. Honestly, I know it's a ways out of your way, but I'd suggest to detour over toward Atlanta via I-85 through Charlotte and down I-75. A lot of the secondary roads in South Carolina are a mess also.

There are some photos of the flooding at http://www.thestate.com/news/local/article37897083.html

Last edited:

Clamman73

My parents would like to drive through SC tomorrow and hoping they can make it through somehow. That scdot site has some good info...I was wondering if the detour they show is actually still OK to drive.
image.png

HolleBolleGijs

Original Poster
Record flooding in the area, rain may have stopped but all the upstream water has to go somewhere. Lake Marion is probably keeping it closed.

The South Carolina Dept. of transportation has a page on the closures

http://dbw.scdot.org/RoadConditionsemr/default.aspx

I-95 in there is closed until Friday based on that. But I think it's just an estimate. Depends on what the floods do. It's pretty bad with dams breaching, washed out roads and bridges. Honestly, I know it's a ways out of your way, but I'd suggest to detour over toward Atlanta via I-85 through Charlotte and down I-75. A lot of the secondary roads in South Carolina are a mess also.

There are some photos of the flooding at http://www.thestate.com/news/local/article37897083.html

Thanks, that's just the sort of site I was looking for! (knew it was due to flooding, just didn't know the situation with I-95)

My parents would like to drive through SC tomorrow and hoping they can make it through somehow. That scdot site has some good info...I was wondering if the detour they show is actually still OK to drive.
View attachment 113478

That's the detour we're looking at too. I cross-referenced it with the link @Mike C posted above, and those alternate roads seem to be open. Fingers crossed!

Mike C

That detour is even better. Maybe you'll get lucky and they will open it up early. I'm sure with it being a huge artery for travel and commerce I-95 will be open as soon as it can. The detour toward Columbia is much shorter than the detour to Atlanta. I'd check that site again right before you leave, though. The rain has stopped, but the rivers haven't crested yet.

mf1972

driving from NJ 10/18. heard it's still shut down. a 13 mile stretch. over a dozen bridges have infrastructure damage, but crews are working around the clock apparently.
will have to look for an alternate route in case. Hope things get better on the roads & for the good people of SC.

HolleBolleGijs

Original Poster
driving from NJ 10/18. heard it's still shut down. a 13 mile stretch. over a dozen bridges have infrastructure damage, but crews are working around the clock apparently.
will have to look for an alternate route in case. Hope things get better on the roads & for the good people of SC.

The alternate route added about 2 hours to our trip. The map of the route was posted above, although I don't know if it's easier because they opened part of it back up.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom