A Spirited Perfect Ten

AEfx

Would you like a helping of BS from the weatherman? Too bad if you didn't. This is the level of contempt Bob and others have for the Disney legacy.
http://www.starwarsjunk.net/nodisneylogo.html
Disney's CEO Bob Iger spoke over Skype tonight with over 500 college students. Little was said about the upcoming Star Wars movie, The Force Awakens, but he did share that the Disney Logo (fanfare) will not appear before the movie. He added that only the Lucasfilms logo (fanfare) will be before the start of the movie. When it asked why this was? Iger say it was for the fans.

This is nothing new. They do the same thing with Marvel.

In the case of Star Wars, it will be greatly appreciated by a lot of hard core fans who are (seriously!) already upset that there won't be a 20th Century Fox logo as their has traditionally been before every Star Wars film.

It really is silly to say it's about contempt for anything, because one of the things most appreciated by both Marvel and Lucasfilm fans is how the integrity of the property is maintained and not just having "DISNEY" splashed all over everything.

If he had said "sure we're gonna slap it right up there! In fact, we're calling it "Disney's Star Wars: The Force Awakens" you would have had criticism as well.

AEfx

So then why is everything Star Wars since the acquisition plastered with "Disney-Lucasfilm" except for the film itself?

It isn't. On a pic of a DISNEY STORE EXCLUSIVE product someone posted above, you see Disney at the very top (in small lettering, at the opposite end of the package from STAR WARS in it's larger font).

Most retail products have a separate Disney Logo somewhere on the back in the corp/trademark section, just like Hasbro, etc. has their logos.

Disney has been extremely consistent and respectful to the brand. Of course, Darth Iger followers will see negativity no matter what they do, so they won't see that.

PhotoDave219

I'm pretty sure this is the opposite of contempt...

It would be contemptuous if they started the new Star Wars with Disney fanfare and dropped Lucasfilm. I interpret this as a sign of respect. Now the actual motivation could be otherwise as @PhotoDave219 already mentioned.

In fact, the only contempt I see here is against Iger. ;)

I hope its a sign of respect as opposed to Iger waking up with a stormtrooper's head in his bed.....

rael ramone

I went to the Epcot Gluttony and Wine Festival on Sunday....rain on and off all day made it interesting.

Ducked into France during one storm to catch the movie...and though I watch it at least once a year...this time it REALLY hit me how old it is. I guess since we can't say anymore about how Norway's film was also severely outdated, Impressions de France stands alone as a relic of a far gone era if I was to guess. I'd love to candidly ask all of the France CM's, I'm sure 90% of whom weren't even born when the movie was filmed how bad it seems to them.

They need to keep the music and the style of narration and shoot some modern scenes...keep the castles, landscapes, etc. footage.

Noooooo!!!!!

If they touched it, they would not only cut a 1/3 of the time off the film, but would take the 12 minutes left and give half of it to a has-been actor to mug to the camera. And the 6 minutes of content left would be of lesser quality.

Leave it as is.

Disneyhead'71

This whole thing about the 20th Century Fox intro is just silly. They didn't even make the films. They were just the distribution network Lucas used.

I'm sure I don't understand since I had seen the intro about 4.5 million times prior to Star Wars coming out. I no more associate the intro with Star Wars than the funky cool "Feature Presentation" bumper.

BigThunderMatt

I'm sure I don't understand since I had seen the intro about 4.5 million times prior to Star Wars coming out. I no more associate the intro with Star Wars than the funky cool "Feature Presentation" bumper.

I think I read somewhere that John Williams wrote the Star Wars theme in the same key as the 20th Century Fox fanfare. Casual listeners probably wouldn't catch that but because of it, it makes the music from the fanfare kind of segue naturally into the theme. It'll be weird to see a movie without it but I didn't come to listen to 15 seconds of fanfare.

Smiddimizer

This whole thing about the 20th Century Fox intro is just silly. They didn't even make the films. They were just the distribution network Lucas used.

You're making me picture Tarantino doing star wars...now he'd bring the old logo back.

AEfx

That is why I said it is NOT what I was talking about. There are items branded like this.
http://infinityinquirer.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/disney-star-wars.jpg

That's really misleading, though. It's a web graphic, because yes, Star Wars is part of the Disney Infinity platform, just like Marvel - and it's the outlier exception only because the entire platform is called Disney Infinity. Just like the Disney Store Exclusive posted earlier. With so many thousands of products, there are going to be exceptions in specific circumstances. And I am not even sure that is official Disney, the guy from that site (I know him, I can ask) or the community team may have made it.

Trust me, because I own most of the stuff we are talking about. Disney branding on almost all Star Wars merchandise is extremely unobtrusive and in some cases actually difficult to find. Look at the flagship product, action figures. You can't even find a Disney logo on the front or sides, you have to flip them over and in among the trademark information, manufacturing location, assorted safety warnings in various languages, you see a tiny "Disney" which appears once, by itself, while Hasbro and Star Wars are all stamped at least 3 times prominently in various large fonts.

That's how the majority of the product looks - you have to look to find Disney in most cases, and the few where it is on the front, it's tiny and far away from Star Wars. I think the closest I've seen the two together it is on clothing or softgoods tags (but given that they are usually a few square inches, that's kind of difficult not to at least have them in proximity). But at no time have they ever had "Disney's Star Wars" or anything like that, and it goes right along with what they have been doing with Marvel, and what they said they were going to do when they bought Lucasfilm.

In any case, people (not you LOL) would be complaining if they did brand it right up together. Because when people are out for Darth Iger blood, they don't care where they smell it from. Because of course he's approving every package, surely, as well, LOL...everything and anything is evidence of his evilness, even when it's respectful fan service which if it is actually is specifically Iger's call, is the same as most of his decisions - so darn smart that people have to invent things wrong with it because they just can't stand how the guy makes one great move after another.

Last edited:

HMF

Would you like a helping of BS from the weatherman? Too bad if you didn't. This is the level of contempt Bob and others have for the Disney legacy.
http://www.starwarsjunk.net/nodisneylogo.html
Disney's CEO Bob Iger spoke over Skype tonight with over 500 college students. Little was said about the upcoming Star Wars movie, The Force Awakens, but he did share that the Disney Logo (fanfare) will not appear before the movie. He added that only the Lucasfilms logo (fanfare) will be before the start of the movie. When it asked why this was? Iger say it was for the fans.
The Disney fanfare and the Disney name have been watered down so significantly under Iger's watch to really matter. In fact after removing the "Walt" from the Disney fanfare removing the fanfare altogether is the logical next step. Iger's contempt for the legacy with which he was entrusted is quite apparent.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom