Child of DVC member...

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Oof.

I'm talking about immediate family receiving DVC member cards. That's all. Why does that bother you? The tiny discounts offered by Disney aren't taking money out of your pocket.

Well, just like AP discounts , you cannot get DVC member discounts without a DVC member card and you don't get a card unless you are on the deed... and you cannot be on the deed if you are not of majority age.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Well, just like AP discounts , you cannot get DVC member discounts without a DVC member card and you don't get a card unless you are on the deed... and you cannot be on the deed if you are not of majority age.
I get the logistics. I disagree with the policy.

LAKid53

Premium Member
I get the logistics. I disagree with the policy.

Then drop DVC a nice letter suggesting a change in their policy. I doubt if there's anything in Florida real estate law that would govern this perk of ownership. Kinda like HOA covenants - they have to be drafted and voted on. DVC published the dates of the condominium meetings. See if you can attend one.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I have to disagree with you as well. So if I buy an AP, my kids ought to be able to get my discount as well, even if I only bought them 7 day park hoppers. Same thing.
Not the same. If they have APs, they get discounts. No age restrictions on APs as far as I know.

The thing I wonder is, what's the reasoning behind disagreeing with me? I can't think of a single negative aspect of my stance on this.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Not the same. If they have APs, they get discounts. No age restrictions on APs as far as I know.

The thing I wonder is, what's the reasoning behind disagreeing with me? I can't think of a single negative aspect of my stance on this.
Not what I am saying. I was saying that if you bought 1 AP for you only, then all of your family get the discount. Same thing. You buy the DVC points, and your family gets the discount. The only negative stance is that it is currently against the rules, and if it were any other way, there would be rampant cheating.

I happen to agree with the policy, because there is so much cheating going on at Disney with way too many people trying to game the system to get something they are not entitled to, that at least in this case, Disney is trying to limit the cheating aspect by stating that only actual owners get the discount, and you must provide picture ID whenever you wish to use it. We were at WDW last week, and every single time we asked for a DVC discount, the CM asked for ID along with our membership card. We thanked them for asking, as it keeps fraud to a minimum.

If Disney allowed family members, you might be surprised (or maybe you wouldn't) by how many extremely large families would all of a sudden show up for discounts. And please don't tell me it wouldn't happen, because you know that it would. You know it happens now with APs. Only people who live in the same household at the same address are authorized the DVC member price, but you know that people abuse it as much as they can get away with it.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Not what I am saying. I was saying that if you bought 1 AP for you only, then all of your family get the discount. Same thing. You buy the DVC points, and your family gets the discount. The only negative stance is that it is currently against the rules, and if it were any other way, there would be rampant cheating.

I happen to agree with the policy, because there is so much cheating going on at Disney with way too many people trying to game the system to get something they are not entitled to, that at least in this case, Disney is trying to limit the cheating aspect by stating that only actual owners get the discount, and you must provide picture ID whenever you wish to use it. We were at WDW last week, and every single time we asked for a DVC discount, the CM asked for ID along with our membership card. We thanked them for asking, as it keeps fraud to a minimum.

If Disney allowed family members, you might be surprised (or maybe you wouldn't) by how many extremely large families would all of a sudden show up for discounts. And please don't tell me it wouldn't happen, because you know that it would. You know it happens now with APs. Only people who live in the same household at the same address are authorized the DVC member price, but you know that people abuse it as much as they can get away with it.

A solid argument from Disney's perspective.

I am not Disney. I'm a guest. So I don't particularly care how Disney would police it's discounts.

I'm for a very simple, very easy policy. If you are under a certain age, and are offspring of a DVC owner, you receive (miserly as they are) DVC member benefits. That's all. This has literally zero negative impact of DVC owners. Maybe it effects WDWs bottom line by a fraction of a fraction of a fraction.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
A solid argument from Disney's perspective.

I am not Disney. I'm a guest. So I don't particularly care how Disney would police it's discounts.

I'm for a very simple, very easy policy. If you are under a certain age, and are offspring of a DVC owner, you receive (miserly as they are) DVC member benefits. That's all. This has literally zero negative impact of DVC owners. Maybe it effects WDWs bottom line by a fraction of a fraction of a fraction.
Well, they have that very simple, very easy policy right now. Are you a member? Yes. You get the discount. Not a member? Then you don't. Nothing simpler. Anything else adds a level of complexity that they don't wish to pursue, and I don't blame them for it. I do understand where you are coming from, but I simply agree with Disney on this one. If they opened it to "family" members, there would be many that would cheat the system for those miserly discounts.

Heck, they installed RFID readers on cups because people were taking soda that they shouldn't. Soda is cheap, you say? Yes, but it is the principal of the thing. Just because it is cheap for Disney, and they charge a bunch for it, doesn't mean you try to cheat them because you (group you - not you in particular) think it should cost less. Disney stated that the cups were for this stay only - not every future stay - but people brought back older cups to use - even though it is against the rules, so now it is monitored for use.

I'm old school and don't believe that anyone should get something that they haven't earned or paid for. I see multiple threads all the time on how do I get free upgrades, or how do I get this perk that I don't want to pay for but everyone else does because someone claimed on an internet forum that they received it for free - and probably lied about it as well. It just gets tiring in this day and age with the entitlement mentality that this country seems to have. It's very sad.

I'll get off my soapbox now. Sorry for the long rant. We'll just have to agree to disagree on this, even though we are both DVC members.

yedliW

I think the confusion (or varying perspectives..) stem from the name.. It is advertised as a club.. but it is really a real estate ownership. The fact that you can share some of the perks (i.e. you can sleep in the same room/suite/villa, discounted AP for immediate family members) but not others (i.e. retail discounts) can be confusing for some.

I'm not a lawyer, so I don't know all of the intricacies of real estate contract law, but I think it could/should be easier to add family members to the membership. (i.e. marriage.. children coming of age.. etc.. )

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
I'm not a lawyer, so I don't know all of the intricacies of real estate contract law, but I think it could/should be easier to add family members to the membership. (i.e. marriage.. children coming of age.. etc.. )
But that goes back to my point. If they open it up to "family" members, there will be some - maybe many - that will try to cheat the system by saying that kids that don't live with them, do live with them. We have 2 sons that are both married. One couple still lives with us, one does not. Does the one that lives with us get the discount, but not the one that doesn't, since that is how it works with APs? Is that fair, since they are both our kids? What happens when the Smiths down the street say that their underage kids live with the DVC member family Smiths, just to get a discount? They get the discount because they lied as there is no proof that the other 5 kids don't live with them. They don't have driver's licenses, so Disney has to take their word for it that those kids live with them. With over 400,000 DVC families, you can easily be talking about over a million children. You don't have to declare your kids to DVC when you buy in. So you say that DVC could require that? Well, why should they bother? Kids don't get the discount. Period. Easy for everyone to understand, and Disney doesn't have to fool around with tracking a million kids, in addition to the actual owners.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Agree to disagree. If it was totally up to me. Anyone staying on points would be eligible for the discount. It's not though. Oh well.

yedliW

There are always going to be people that are going to try to game the system.. and they will always be ahead of the system they are trying to game.. It really is too bad, since it ruins things for those of us who just want to enjoy our vacations.. we could go back and forth on who should be eligible and who should not be.. maybe they should just say you can have X (2, 4, whatever..) number of members per contract.. and they can be who ever you want them to be.. family or not.. and let it go at that..

ToTBellHop

Discounts. Yes.

I honestly don't see how this has any impact on deeded owners. Except that they don't want others to have any discounts. Which is bizarre to me.
I don't get it either. Why argue for someone else's plight? About the only case where I can see the argument for keeping something exclusive to DVC owners is the Top of the World lounge due to capacity. I don't view the discounts as a reasonable impetus to join DVC as they could be removed at any time.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
I don't get it either. Why argue for someone else's plight? About the only case where I can see the argument for keeping something exclusive to DVC owners is the Top of the World lounge due to capacity. I don't view the discounts as a reasonable impetus to join DVC as they could be removed at any time.
Discounts are never a reason to buy into DVC. And the Top of the World lounge requires that you be staying on points at a DVC resort in order to go up. We thought it was open to any DVC members staying on property, but last week we were staying at SoG (which is on property), and they told us the policy of having to be there on points only. I guess that is to keep the local DVC members from going there and filling the place up. Kinda embarrassing, since we didn't know the full policy, and had to be turned away. Oh well. Live and learn.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Discounts are never a reason to buy into DVC. And the Top of the World lounge requires that you be staying on points at a DVC resort in order to go up. We thought it was open to any DVC members staying on property, but last week we were staying at SoG (which is on property), and they told us the policy of having to be there on points only. I guess that is to keep the local DVC members from going there and filling the place up. Kinda embarrassing, since we didn't know the full policy, and had to be turned away. Oh well. Live and learn.

We went up in September , I wasn't really impressed. I wasn't really impressed with BLT at all actually. The location is killer though.

LAKid53

Premium Member
I think the confusion (or varying perspectives..) stem from the name.. It is advertised as a club.. but it is really a real estate ownership. The fact that you can share some of the perks (i.e. you can sleep in the same room/suite/villa, discounted AP for immediate family members) but not others (i.e. retail discounts) can be confusing for some.

You can. You just have to go through the legal process, along with fees, to add them to the deed. Relationship doesn't matter, they just have to be 18 or older. Then, since they are now also owners in that leasehold, they are members and entitled to the discounts.

wdwgreek

Real curious now I'm 21, and a law student so I get the whole benefits are only to the parties that signed that contract, and I am technically no longer a dependent aka I'm emancipated , but is there a way to amend it to have me added on as a member or a party for the membership? I am about to buy an AP pass anyways so i'm not sure its worth it discount wise, but just wondering? Also I stay with family in the area so in March/ May i am not staying at a DVC resort.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Real curious now I'm 21, and a law student so I get the whole benefits are only to the parties that signed that contract, and I am technically no longer a dependent aka I'm emancipated , but is there a way to amend it to have me added on as a member or a party for the membership? I am about to buy an AP pass anyways so i'm not sure its worth it discount wise, but just wondering? Also I stay with family in the area so in March/ May i am not staying at a DVC resort.

As I've said in several posts, you can be added to the deed, just as in any other real estate transaction. Provided the current deedholders are willing to do so. There will be fees associated with the transaction. Go speak with one of your law professors who is knowledgeable about real estate law for information on how such a transaction is handled. And if you can, offer to help cover the fees. Know that you will now be legally responsible for the annual condo fees, too. Which depending on the resort and # of points can be several thousand dollars.

A lot to do just to get the discounts - which are the same as most AP discounts. Except you do get a 15% discount on purchases at Basin - APs don't get anything.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom