Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Next Big Thing

Source?

Edit: Also, if Disney could build this theater that quickly, why not do the same thing in California... bring in the Frozen show and keep Aladdin. Aladdin is far more beloved than the Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast shows.
This new theatre is no where close to the scale of the Hyperion in DCA. That's a truly Broadway caliber theatre there. You can tell just by looking at how tall the new theatre is that it's nowhere close to that.

GiveMeTheMusic

Source?

Edit: Also, if Disney could build this theater that quickly, why not do the same thing in California... bring in the Frozen show and keep Aladdin. Aladdin is far more beloved than the Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast shows.

Shows shouldn't stick around for 10+ years. Beloved or no, it's time for Aladdin to sail on to that big inappropriate-joke-laden casbah in the sky.

Next Big Thing

Shows shouldn't stick around for 10+ years. Beloved or no, it's time for Aladdin to sail on to that big inappropriate-joke-laden casbah in the sky.
Agreed. Many Tony-winning broadway shows don't stick around for longer than 5 years (or even make it that long). Yes, Aladdin is likely the best produced and performed theme park musical.... ever. However, everything has to come to an end.

Which is why VotLM and BatB still being around after over 20 years is beyond ridiculous.

Oriolesmagic

Would you rank a villain themed land more popular to young adults over a well-themed Marvel land?? (I'm just curious by your opinion. I know it isn't leaving Universal Studios... But since Disney owns the rights..)

I think you'd have to put Marvel ahead of quite a bit of IPs amongst young adults if Marvel were to be done WELL. Right now, it's just a reminder of what Universal Studios used to be.

However, Indiana Jones hasn't aged as well as some other IPs have. (I love it but the 4th movie didn't do any favors to the series popularity-wise amongst the younger age group) Avatar is just too new and unproven to say one way or another (as a franchise, anyway, the first movie was wildly successful).

danlb_2000

Premium Member
This new theatre is no where close to the scale of the Hyperion in DCA. That's a truly Broadway caliber theatre there. You can tell just by looking at how tall the new theatre is that it's nowhere close to that.

Yeah, the flex theater is not fitted out for full blown theatrical productions. It would be good for things like the Frozen sing along, but not really suitable for something like Aladdin.

Fox&Hound

I'd love a villains area somewhere in DHS. In general, I think it would serve Disney to make the re-branded DHS more of a "thrill" park with more of an "edge". I mean, Disney is always family friendly and should always be (hence the inclusion of Toy Story Land for DHS) but I think Star Wars should lend itself to some thrilling rides beyond just spinners and rides for kids- which is why I'm glad the plans suggest better plans than this. I think whatever they do with that remaining area by back lot will really help to shape the perception of the park. If they put in Carsland or Monsters Inc and they include a lot of family rides, M&G's, or spinners than people will view DHS as a kid's park with some thrills (ToT and some SW) versus if they hit it out of the park and include more thrills than people may very well view the park as a thrilling option for families with older teens looking for some new experiences from Disney.

Bocabear

I'd love a villains area somewhere in DHS. In general, I think it would serve Disney to make the re-branded DHS more of a "thrill" park with more of an "edge". I mean, Disney is always family friendly and should always be (hence the inclusion of Toy Story Land for DHS) but I think Star Wars should lend itself to some thrilling rides beyond just spinners and rides for kids- which is why I'm glad the plans suggest better plans than this. I think whatever they do with that remaining area by back lot will really help to shape the perception of the park. If they put in Carsland or Monsters Inc and they include a lot of family rides, M&G's, or spinners than people will view DHS as a kid's park with some thrills (ToT and some SW) versus if they hit it out of the park and include more thrills than people may very well view the park as a thrilling option for families with older teens looking for some new experiences from Disney.
I love the idea of DHS becoming a "thrilling option for families with older teens looking for some new experiences from Disney"...Yes have some things for the younger kids...as they are doing with Toy Story Land, but then bump up the thrills as well... make DHS more the Thrill Park. I think the idea of a Villain's Lair section would be brilliant...Several attractions in varying degrees of thrill level and a couple Meet and Greets and restaurants... I think it would be a real draw without having to purchase another IP to shoehorn into the park... just sayin'

French Quarter

However, Indiana Jones hasn't aged as well as some other IPs have. (I love it but the 4th movie didn't do any favors to the series popularity-wise amongst the younger age group)

I beg to differ. I think he's aging just F-I-N-E! ;)

Harrison+Ford+5Yl5IV_e-qzm.jpg

(Sorry...completely off topic but I had to.)

ToTBellHop

This would lead me to believe that it's either a short term show, or that this is a temporary location for it.
Well, it's being put together quickly. I'd imagine it will basically be a concert with a basic plot like the Frozen show or the Hocus Pocus Spelltacular. Not that this is a bad thing. I just wouldn't expect a Broadway show to come together on this timescale. That said, the timescale is necessary. They need something new in the park given the closures to come. If the show is starting in the flex theater, it's temporary although it does explain why they rushed to build it. They don't need it to cover for Indy til next year.

Next Big Thing

So, I guess you thing that the Cats and Phantom runs on Broadway went too long (not to mention the many clones of the show around the country)? Many shows on Broadway run as long as they are making a profit. Classics and popular shows run long. Others have a very short run. If the two at Disney are still popular and filling the theaters, there would not be much incentive to take a risk on a new show that might not have the same draw. If the shows are not drawing the desired attendance numbers, then it becomes a much easier decision.

Not that I am against a change - just giving some other input into this discussion. I have no idea what attendance numbers the shows have, nor do I really care. I'm not a big fan of Broadway-style shows anyway... (never have seen Cats or Phantom, but I did see BatB once).
I'm not saying that there aren't shows that have long runs, but DCA doesn't have a "Broadway" section filled with nothing but broadway style-theatres showing Frozen, Aladdin, Newsies, Beauty and the Beast, Mary Poppins, The Lion King, etc. They have one theatre and it's been showing the same show for over 10 years. Time's up.

And speaking to the shows currently running at DHS (VotLM and BatB)... those are embarrassments. Disney should be ashamed they've allowed them to continue on for so damn long.

Next Big Thing

You're missing my point. I'm not saying the shows are of the same caliber. I'm just saying if the shows continue to draw the desired audience levels (like those two hits), there's not much incentive to change. And, @Next Big Thing stated not many Broadway shows lasted beyond 5 years, indirectly implying that no show should last that long.
No, I was not indirectly implying that. I know many shows last far longer and have no problem with it because that's broadway. But in a THEME PARK SETTING you're always going to draw a crowd.

Frozen will be filled to the brim every damn show and sell a helluva lot more merch than Aladdin. Makes a lot of sense to me to make the change.

EDIT: Plus, Aladdin is on broadway now. Frozen is about to be on broadway. Putting Frozen in there is sort of like a preview.

Next Big Thing

Apologies for reading incorrectly into your post. I'm not opposed to any show changes, just stating that there is not much incentive to change, if the popularity is still there. Unless, of course, the merchandise sales would be much higher. Perhaps I should just let this argument go? ;)
I think the fact that Frozen is coming to Broadway and Aladdin is already there played a bigger role than merch honestly. As I said, it's like getting a 45-minute condensed preview of a full Broadway show. There's no way they can drop the hat on this with it being such a high-profile case. Disneyland is the crown jewel. I've heard celebrities that have raved about DCA's Aladdin. They don't want to put on a bad show for the best in show-biz.

Plus, the AP crowd would rage. ;)

Fox&Hound

I love the idea of DHS becoming a "thrilling option for families with older teens looking for some new experiences from Disney"...Yes have some things for the younger kids...as they are doing with Toy Story Land, but then bump up the thrills as well... make DHS more the Thrill Park. I think the idea of a Villain's Lair section would be brilliant...Several attractions in varying degrees of thrill level and a couple Meet and Greets and restaurants... I think it would be a real draw without having to purchase another IP to shoehorn into the park... just sayin'

100% yes! Maleficent Dragon Coaster, Captain Hook Boat Ride, restaurant themed to Jack Skellington.....Come on Disney you know you want to! I'd settle for a ride that had a mash up of Disney Villains- like a re-theme to RnRC but with Disney Villains...Toy Story will serve the need of giving kids some wonderful fun options for rides and entertainment. As will some of the shows that probably stick around. No reason they can't add a little thrill. I still think with ToT and the new Villains show and F! all dealing with dark and spooky elements that that area of the park may get a light theme of villains after all =)

robonakabob

100% yes! Maleficent Dragon Coaster, Captain Hook Boat Ride, restaurant themed to Jack Skellington.....Come on Disney you know you want to! I'd settle for a ride that had a mash up of Disney Villains- like a re-theme to RnRC but with Disney Villains...Toy Story will serve the need of giving kids some wonderful fun options for rides and entertainment. As will some of the shows that probably stick around. No reason they can't add a little thrill. I still think with ToT and the new Villains show and F! all dealing with dark and spooky elements that that area of the park may get a light theme of villains after all =)
I'd be excited for all of this, except for the fact that Jack Skellington isn't a villain.Ooogie Boogie is.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom