Ft. Wilderness Cabin - Car or Cart?

Which transportation option do you prefer for Fort Wilderness cabins?

• Rental car

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Golf cart

Votes: 10 76.9%
  • Neither - Internal buses are fine

Votes: 3 23.1%

• Total voters

CaptainAmerica

Original Poster
My family will be staying at Ft. Wilderness in two cabins in January and we're trying to decide between a golf cart and a rental car. We'll be six adults and a baby so we'd need a minivan or a six-person cart at minimum. Cost will be about the same either way. We have no plans on leaving property so that "benefit" of the car is irrelevant to us. I know the pros and cons of each but I'm having trouble weighing them against each other. Our itinerary is as follows:

Day 1: Travel, then dinner and Fantasmic at DHS
Day 2: Animal Kingdom full day
Day 3: Epcot full day
Day 4: Magic Kingdom full day
Day 5: Hollywood Studios until dinner at Ohana, then EMH at Magic Kingdom
Day 6: Magic Kingdom full day
Day 7: Animal Kingdom until dinner at Epcot, then IllumiNations

JamieLee18

We always get a golf cart when we stay in the cabins. We drive our golf cart to the main bus stop, so we avoid the internal bus system plus our cart is waiting for us when we get back from the parks (golf cart parking is closer than car parking). We also like to cruise around the campgrounds... golf carts can travel in areas that cars and busses can't. We usually have more ppl than seats in the golf cart, so we do a couple trips to the bus stop, dinner, etc. And they're just more fun :)

rsoxguy

I have visited family members while they were staying there, and they had a car and a cart. The cart seemed far more convenient to them throughout their stay. If you do not plan to leave the Disney property, I would think that a cart would be a nifty item to have available.

Baltar

$4 billion for EPCOT
The cart is the only way to park close to the marina, pool, etc. So if that's the choice, I'd go with the cart.

allidog1

To echo the previous comments a cart is the way to go. You can drive it to the front to catch the bus (and park right next to the bus stop) or drive it to the marina. For the marina the only way to park close is to have a cart, there is not parking for your car, you would have to take the bus or walk.

pixiesteno

I love the carts at Fort Wilderness and they are really convenient as there are many places you cannot park a car at FWC; meadows pool area, marina area, etc. Only problem that I see with your decision is they do not rent 6 person carts, just four. So plan on using the buses when the whole group goes.

CaptainAmerica

Original Poster
The cart is the only way to park close to the marina, pool, etc. So if that's the choice, I'd go with the cart.
We're going on January so the pool won't really be on our itinerary.

To echo the previous comments a cart is the way to go. You can drive it to the front to catch the bus (and park right next to the bus stop) or drive it to the marina. For the marina the only way to park close is to have a cart, there is not parking for your car, you would have to take the bus or walk.
If we were MK-heavy people, I'd 100% agree. But we'll only be there two of six days. I definitely agree that being able to park at the marina is a perk when you're going to MK, but I'm not sure it outweighs the perk of having the car right there at DAK / Epcot / DHS. With a car, it's "drive to Epcot." With a cart, it's cart to the front of the resort, wait for the bus, bus to Epcot. It's just an extra step for non-MK parks.

I love the carts at Fort Wilderness and they are really convenient as there are many places you cannot park a car at FWC; meadows pool area, marina area, etc. Only problem that I see with your decision is they do not rent 6 person carts, just four. So plan on using the buses when the whole group goes.
They have six-person carts but they don't reserve them. You have to book a four and then hope they have a six available when you arrive.

Baltar

$4 billion for EPCOT
We're going on January so the pool won't really be on our itinerary.

If we were MK-heavy people, I'd 100% agree. But we'll only be there two of six days. I definitely agree that being able to park at the marina is a perk when you're going to MK, but I'm not sure it outweighs the perk of having the car right there at DAK / Epcot / DHS. With a car, it's "drive to Epcot." With a cart, it's cart to the front of the resort, wait for the bus, bus to Epcot. It's just an extra step for non-MK parks.

They have six-person carts but they don't reserve them. You have to book a four and then hope they have a six available when you arrive.
So don't get the cart then. I think you have your answer already. For me, I drive to WDW and use a cart. I used to get a cart off site before they made that a little more difficult. Now I bring my own. But like you say ,when I don't go to the MK, I usually drive my own car.

CaptainAmerica

Original Poster
I've done it with toddlers. Key thing is just like any other driving- know the limits of the cart, and what's around you. I always gave cars and busses their space.
Did you buckle them in their own seat, or lap? If lap, do they count towards the vehicle's capacity of four? I don't think I'd consider a cart if we need to get two but if I can get away with one we might go that route.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Did you buckle them in their own seat, or lap? If lap, do they count towards the vehicle's capacity of four? I don't think I'd consider a cart if we need to get two but if I can get away with one we might go that route.
I honestly can't remember exactly how they rode. But the youngest was only 3 at the time, so I have to imagine he was on our lap. So we could have carried one more if needed....

Baltar

$4 billion for EPCOT
I don't think there is a buckle. When I used it, my wife carried our little one and I went pretty slow. I wasn't making turns at top speed or nothing. You could sorta manufacture your own seatbelt though with a cord, rope, or a real belt probably.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom