Star Wars themed land announced for Disneyland

GiveMeTheMusic

Bulldoze it all! Walt loved Star Wars, he even hid Darth Vader in Club 33!

Club33-Darth4.jpg

lazyboy97o

This is true, which is why you either accept it or move on to some other passion that makes you happy. The vision you want for Disneyland is outdated and isn't likely to return in our lifetime.
Common sense dictates that being upset and mad over philosophical differences in opinion over the way a theme park is being operated could be a waste of your time and energy. It doesn't matter what you or I think about the way the park is being managed because Disney will run the place the way it sees fit. Either live with it or find another hobby/activity that brings you joy. That's just the way life works. If you want to continue to rant and rave until eternity because you can't control your outrage go ahead, but don't be offended or shocked when others give you side eye for your inability to accept reality.

The truth is that I don't particularly like this way of operating the parks any more than you do. The difference is that I have accepted the strategy as the new normal for Disney parks (actually the entire theme park industry) worldwide.
My passion is themed entertainment and I am not interested in bowing to people who think themed entertainment is stupid. Disney says you too are stupid because you like theme parks. Is that a label you happily accept because it is not likely to change anytime soon either?

I would agrue that it has to make money AND be a great themed entertainment experience. If the people developing and approving Star Wars land didn't think it was going to be a great themed experience AND be a huge money maker, it wouldn't be made. Disney does more than anyone else to make sure their theming and "show" is upheld as much as it can be. I don't think they do this because they have a good heart, I think they do this because they know if they aren't better than the people down the road, it's not going to make them the money want to make.
By its nature, a great themed entertainment experience is more than likely going to be a profitable enterprise. Disney hasn't been better than the people down the road for years. They have allowed and encouraged a brain drain from Walt Disney Imagineering that has allowed the true keys to Disney success slip away while piles of money are wasted on bloat and indecision.

I honestly think Star Wars Land is a perfect storm of every single criteria you mentioned. Sure it's a guaranteed money maker, but you don't think the gang at WDI who grew up on Star Wars wasn't drooling at the chance to go crazy building an entire world based on the franchise?
I would hope not. As creatives I would think hey would want to create, not get around to something Disney could have done for decades.

IMO, it is the only franchise truly worthy of its own land -- something that could stand the test of time. By the time the land opens, we will be in the middle of a THIRD trilogy along with new movies exploring and creating backstories for other characters. Along with books, comic books, live action/animated tv, video games, and so on. It is a very, very different beast from The Wizarding World of Harry Potter which is based on a story that really revolves around one central character -- heck, even his name is in the land's name! In 10 years, it is entirely possible interest will have waned on the Harry Potter franchise and then what?
And then what? And then you again judge themed entertainment based on other mediums.

Don't get me wrong, I would be very disappointed if Lincoln were removed, but, it was designed of the 1964 Worlds Fair not Disneyland.
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln was derived from One Nation Under God, an attraction under development for Liberty Street that eventually became the Hall of Presidents. Even then, the World's Fair attractions from their inception were intended to be moved to Disneyland.

Last edited:

Travel Junkie

No. I actually said that I would be disappointed if Lincoln were removed. I was merely pointing out that Lincoln is not where it is "supposed to be" as Virtual Insanity said.

Walt used the Fair to fund many of his projects. The attractions were designed and built with the idea of them being transferred to Disneyland. I could be wrong but I think they ended up building a second version of Lincoln for Disneyland instead of taking the Worlds Fair version, but it was always going to come to Disneyland.

Californian Elitist

No. I actually said that I would be disappointed if Lincoln were removed. I was merely pointing out that Lincoln is not where it is "supposed to be" as Virtual Insanity said.

I see what you're saying, but the attractions that came from Disney for the 1964 World Fair were very much theme park-type attractions, hence why it was easy for them to be incorporated into the park. I'm pretty sure that was always the plan.

Lincoln is where it belongs.

D

Deleted member 107043

My passion is themed entertainment and I am not interested in bowing to people who think themed entertainment is stupid. Disney says you are stupid because you like theme parks. Is that a label you happily accept because it is not likely to change anytime soon either?

Apparently your tone deafness is preventing you from realizing how silly you sound with your ridiculous proclamations and snide insinuations. Run along now, your mother is calling you.

DC%2Bwith%2Bbell.gif

lazyboy97o

Apparently your tone deafness is preventing you from realizing how silly you sound with your ridiculous proclamations and snide insinuations. Run along now, your mother is calling you.

DC%2Bwith%2Bbell.gif
What ridiculous proclamation? You keep saying to accept reality. Is your reality one where you are happy to be considered stupid?

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I honestly think Star Wars Land is a perfect storm of every single criteria you mentioned. Sure it's a guaranteed money maker, but you don't think the gang at WDI who grew up on Star Wars wasn't drooling at the chance to go crazy building an entire world based on the franchise?

To me, it's one of those no-brainer "how do they NOT do this??" deals. Star Wars has been ingrained into Disney culture for half as long as Disneyland has been in existence with Star Tours attractions around the world, Jedi Training Academy, Star Wars weekends, Star Wars marathon, etc. There are now multiple generations who have grown up associating Star Wars with Disney. If you don't think of Star Wars as a Disney thing, you are simply getting hung up over semantics.

IMO, it is the only franchise truly worthy of its own land -- something that could stand the test of time. By the time the land opens, we will be in the middle of a THIRD trilogy along with new movies exploring and creating backstories for other characters. Along with books, comic books, live action/animated tv, video games, and so on. It is a very, very different beast from The Wizarding World of Harry Potter which is based on a story that really revolves around one central character -- heck, even his name is in the land's name! In 10 years, it is entirely possible interest will have waned on the Harry Potter franchise and then what?

The closest thing the world had to a 'franchise' when Disney opened was Disney itself and we saw that manifest in the form of Fantasyland. In my eyes, Fantasyland WAS and IS the Disney Land of Disneyland. It is all things Disney brought to life. This is what Star Wars Land is. It's not a section of the park that revolves around one character or one story. It is literally the universe of Star Wars brought to life in a themed environment -- something that so many of us have been dreaming to experience since we were in diapers playing with action figures. If someone's biggest issue with it is it being a land dedicated to one IP versus multiple, again, I think you are getting hung up on semantics.

I can not tell you how pumped I am on it.
If I may interject, I don't think IP alone is what makes a land "lasting". It's far more nuanced than that.

Batman is a 50+ year franchise with equally impressive publishing and media credentials, yet...nothing has been done with it that is very good. A few roller coasters (ok, I only know of the one here in Six Flags over GA, but I'm sure there are others and I don't want to go googling)...

The thing that Walt hit upon that no other theme park really has done right, aside from Universal, is environment.

I want to go back to the Harry Potter experiences at Uni Florida for one reason. Immersion. It's truly a unique experience, with details everywhere...from the shop windows to even the rides themselves (with the exception of Dualing Dragons, which really is a just a thrill ride with little immersion). Every time I visit there (which has been 3 times) I notice something new I didn't see before (even if it was always there). This is what makes for excellent theme park design, and "lasting" attractions. In 10 years, kids may not remember Harry Potter, but their now 20 - 30 something parents will...and they've created a world there that brings them back to their own childhood, and encourages them to share it with their children.

I'd say it's quite lasting.

Star Wars could be done extremely well (I suspect it will be), but the IP alone doesn't justify anything. It's what they do with it.

Avatar is another example. A defense for Avatarland, in my book, isn't "look how much money it made"...reflective reviews done later by many people, and in fact the general consensus I've witnessed, is that most people do grant it's a rather shallow plot that relies on effects more than story. BUT, if done well, it can still make for a fantastic theme park experience that stands on its own.

Frankly, it's a full circle arguement. If you build the world first, you can later tell stories within it (that is what POTC is, and why POTC is still epic to this day as both a ride and a movie series, but, more as a ride)...and that is part of what Walt did. Yeah, there were IPs here and there, but it was also the novelty of experiencing an EVIRONMENT that was unique and largely detached from the outside world, yet still familiar in some way.

Star Wars Land will be a smash when it opens, but the question is...like Star Tours did, will people grow less fond of it as time moves on and the flash dissipates? Will it still command long lines for it's rides like non-IP based attractions that have become classics? This is the balancing act Disney walks, and what WDI is supposed to be all about (walking that line from the quick IP smash and grab designs to lasting designs that attract for decades)...

D

Deleted member 107043

Star Wars could be done extremely well (I suspect it will be), but the IP alone doesn't justify anything. It's what they do with it.

Agreed. There's a strong dislike from some camps for IP related attractions in the parks period, particularly if they aren't home grown from Disney. On top of that there is considerable resentment about an entire franchise like Star Wars being given a dedicated land inside DL Park. So, bottom line is, for some it won't matter what they do with it because for them the project shouldn't be happening at DL to begin with.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Agreed. There's a strong dislike from some camps for IP related attractions in the parks period, particularly if they aren't home grown from Disney. On top of that there is considerable resentment about an entire franchise like Star Wars being given a dedicated land inside DL Park. So, bottom line is, for some it won't matter what they do with it because for them the project shouldn't be happening at DL to begin with.
Not my fandom park (WDW is)

But, like Frozen in Norway, they have a point.

Star Wars belongs...at DCA.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Are there 14 acres of open contiguous spaces to carve out a SW Land in DCA?
If you think creatively, like Uni Florida does, yep. Look south of Paradise Pier Hotel...west of DCA's Paradise Pier, and a "shuttle" transition with a few walkways make for a nice "transition" to a "new world"... There's plenty of room, without tearing out much in the way of existing park infrastructure.

D

Deleted member 107043

Hmm... not convinced that a Star Wars realm would work with California Screamin' looming over it, but if you say so. Also, there isn't 14 acres (about 2 acres larger than Cars Land) back there.

PalisadesPkteer

Now your playing with fire Constance!
Then you need some way to get there and back = headache. Do any of the insiders know if Big Thunder Ranch will or will not be open in December? From the holiday blog is sounds like they plan to close it before then. (Next week?, next month?)

D

Deleted member 107043

Then you need some way to get there and back = headache.

It's an inside joke. A poster at LaughingPlace claiming to have "inside information" repeatedly insisted for months that SW was going to be built in the Pumbaa lot as part of a DCA expansion linked to the park via an elevated walkway or an underground tunnel. Of course no one bought it.

Last edited by a moderator:

GiveMeTheMusic

Then you need some way to get there and back = headache. Do any of the insiders know if Big Thunder Ranch will or will not be open in December? From the holiday blog is sounds like they plan to close it before then. (Next week?, next month?)

The Ranch will be open, the Festival Arena will not. Santa will be in Critter Country, so no Jingle Jangle Jamboree or whatever the heck they called it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom