DHS Makeover - What we know so far.....

Truk777

First time posting here. With all the talk about this area being redone, I was surprised to get an email yesterday that told me to catch The American Idol Experience next time....

Attachments

• IMG_2558.JPG
    IMG_2558.JPG
    204.7 KB · Views: 216

Mikejakester

I think they only go when there is a private event on with free food and wine!
On a serious note, not that you guys are kidding....but this is not far from the truth... or so I've heard...

I'm going to get off topic here and say there is a Braille map in DHS behind the restaurant reservation kiosk that still has catastrophe canyon. To make things worse, a family was looking at it and said "Let's go to the canyon!" and walked away... I was kind of left there with my mouth open kind of in shock... This map should be covered... ok... rant over... back to whatever we were talking about DHS.

Attachments

• IMG_9583.JPG
    IMG_9583.JPG
    142.3 KB · Views: 193

French Quarter

On a serious note, not that you guys are kidding....but this is not far from the truth... or so I've heard...

I'm going to get off topic here and say there is a Braille map in DHS behind the restaurant reservation kiosk that still has catastrophe canyon. To make things worse, a family was looking at it and said "Let's go to the canyon!" and walked away... I was kind of left there with my mouth open kind of in shock... This map should be covered... ok... rant over... back to whatever we were talking about DHS.

You should write and tell them about it so that something is done. They probably forgot they even put it there.

CinematicFusion

What about Ratatouille? Last year, Paris opened a Ratatouille sub-land in their studio park, and I think it looks really good.

I still think at some point this ride is moving to world showcase France to balance out Frozen on the other side.
I mean...frozen is in world showcase, the older vision of WS is over.
The pent up demand for a small ride in this area will force Disney's hand.
Just an opinion.

People may freak out at this concept....but again....Frozen is already moving in. The ice has been broken.

YodaMan

You should write and tell them about it so that something is done. They probably forgot they even put it there.

There are still at least 2 braille maps in the park (maybe more, I just honestly don't know) that haven't been updated in ages. With everything seemingly changing on the daily, I don't really blame them. But yeah, both maps still have The Hat and Jack Sparrow and Backlot Tour and American Idol and the Animation Academy

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
So, Pixar released their upcoming movie schedule for the next couple years... any chance that details on potential Phase 3/4 for Hollywood Studios are so murky/limited/delayed because they will include tie-ins to upcoming Pixar films? I know there has been a lot of Cars Land talk, but it would seem difficult to have a Cars Land open by Summer 2017 (18 months) to tie in with the release of Cars 3, however, it could make sense if they didn't want to release too many details about a Cars Land section until closer to when Cars 3 comes out if an attraction in Cars Land was based off of something that will happen in Cars 3 (presumably why more details aren't being released about Star Wars Land). On the other hand, it would seem quite possible to have an Incredibles attraction open and ready for a Phase 3/4 addition by 2019 (3.5 years) to tie in with Incredibles II (probably one of the most anticipated Disney animated features in a LONG time!). Heck, there has also been talk of some unannounced things in Tory Story Land (possibly a show)... With Toy Story 4 coming out in 2018, could we see Toy Story Land opening about the same time?

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    52.9 KB · Views: 100

Goofyernmost

There are still at least 2 braille maps in the park (maybe more, I just honestly don't know) that haven't been updated in ages. With everything seemingly changing on the daily, I don't really blame them. But yeah, both maps still have The Hat and Jack Sparrow and Backlot Tour and American Idol and the Animation Academy
Don't read this wrong, but, it seems to me that the Braille maps are there more for show then anything else. The parks are 90% visual. I don't think I have ever seen a completely blind person there over all those years. The only attraction that they had that would have fit in was "Sounds Dangerous" and that closed a long time ago. If a person did go that had vision restrictions to the point of needing braille, would they be by themselves or would they have someone with them? They don't know the parks, they don't know how to get their bearings without that experience. That leads me to the conclusion that they have put up Braille maps just so someone would say... oh, look they have done something to help a person with a vision challenge. Highly doubtful that it would be in very high demand, especially in light of the fact it has not been upgraded for this long.

Just to head this off at the pass, yes, I know that many with varying degrees of impaired vision probably do go to the parks. However, the same thing applies, it is not likely that they would be going there by themselves with no visually strong individual to help identify and clarify what is happening. Realistically, it seems to me that a huge amount of the magic would be lost without strong visual enforcement.

AEfx

Just to head this off at the pass, yes, I know that many with varying degrees of impaired vision probably do go to the parks. However, the same thing applies, it is not likely that they would be going there by themselves with no visually strong individual to help identify and clarify what is happening. Realistically, it seems to me that a huge amount of the magic would be lost without strong visual enforcement.

You would be surprised, I mean, they run television ads targeted at blind folks.

As you say, not only totally blind people use braille, many folks who just have severely impaired vision do. I definitely have seen such folks with service dogs (real service dogs) at WDW before.

I agree, it probably doesn't get used that much - but if they have it - might as well keep it at least somewhat up to date.

ZodIsGr8

Hey Marni,
Can you try and expand on what your thoughts are on the future of the SoA? I know you stated earlier that you thought some changes would be temp and others permanent. Believe it or not SoA are my favorite part of this park just form an atmosphere standpoint. I understand if you can't and as always I appreciate you sharing your information and what you bring to this forum!

French Quarter

Don't read this wrong, but, it seems to me that the Braille maps are there more for show then anything else. The parks are 90% visual. I don't think I have ever seen a completely blind person there over all those years. The only attraction that they had that would have fit in was "Sounds Dangerous" and that closed a long time ago. If a person did go that had vision restrictions to the point of needing braille, would they be by themselves or would they have someone with them? They don't know the parks, they don't know how to get their bearings without that experience. That leads me to the conclusion that they have put up Braille maps just so someone would say... oh, look they have done something to help a person with a vision challenge. Highly doubtful that it would be in very high demand, especially in light of the fact it has not been upgraded for this long.

I absolutely disagree. Visually impaired people visit the parks all the time and are able to enjoy the parks just fine. And they shouldn't have to rely on other people to get around when it is as simple as putting up a touch map. Visually impaired individuals are just as independent as everyone else. I'm going to leave it there but I suggest you don't speak of what you don't know as it comes across as offensive, even though that likely wasn't your intention.

ToTBellHop

I absolutely disagree. Visually impaired people visit the parks all the time and are able to enjoy the parks just fine. And they shouldn't have to rely on other people to get around when it is as simple as putting up a touch map. Visually impaired individuals are just as independent as everyone else. I'm going to leave it there but I suggest you don't speak of what you don't know as it comes across as offensive, even though that likely wasn't your intention.
At the end of the day, if Disney is going to provide a service to these guests, regardless of their numbers, they should invest effort in that service. Leaving a map out that has not been accurate in over a year is disgraceful. I assume it is an oversight, though. I hope it's not a conscious choice.

French Quarter

At the end of the day, if Disney is going to provide a service to these guests, regardless of their numbers, they should invest effort in that service. Leaving a map out that has not been accurate in over a year is disgraceful. I assume it is an oversight, though. I hope it's not a conscious choice.

Exactly! It is disgraceful and I hope it is an oversight. I also hope that the person who discovered it will follow up with Disney and give the exact location of this map and relay what they witnessed.

And for those who are less informed on this topic, Disney fully expects people of all abilities to visit their parks and works hard to make it possible for everyone to have a wonderful experience. If you would like to learn more basic information, please read: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/visual-disability-services/

Goofyernmost

Very nice promotional propaganda, but, that is not what I'm talking about. I am talking about the incentive or even the real possibility of someone with eyesight bad enough to need braille to go there to begin with. Other then what they can hear, what enjoyment can be derived from a place that is that high a percentage of visual stimulation. Also explain to me how someone that cannot see, is able to negotiate the park without assistance. It's all well and good to want to give an opportunity to challenged individuals, but, in some cases the disabilities are insurmountable. That is all I am saying.

Well it seems as if everyone is going off topic..hi guys this is my first time posting on this site since I usually posted on a different WDW related site. Anyways, back to future DHS, from what one of my sources mentioned, SWB will open and as times passes it will bring in new SW related content to make it more glam and glorious.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom