Best Resort for the Money

ABigBrassBand

I'd say the Dolphin. I personally love how you get the amenities of a Disney hotel, the location, and the atmosphere for a great price. Might be my nostalgia talking, but over the years it's proven to be my favorite.

NonnaT

Ummmm, not sure what you're talking about, but the SD are most certainly on property.

And as for Disney amenities, all that SD are missing is DDP and DME. Hardly deal breakers for a lot of people.
My very bad, you're right, of course they're on Disney owned property, but you can't get 180 day ADRs, no DME, no free package delivery, no 60 day FP, and no Disney dining... Or is that not all correct? Sorry, I really thought OP meant a true WDW resort. SD IS very very nice, just not operated by Disney. Again, sorry for my misinterpretation.

JusticeDisney

My very bad, you're right, of course they're on Disney owned property, but you can't get 180 day ADRs, no DME, no free package delivery, no 60 day FP, and no Disney dining... Or is that not all correct? Sorry, I really thought OP meant a true WDW resort. SD IS very very nice, just not operated by Disney. Again, sorry for my misinterpretation.
I swear I'm not trying to pick a fight with you, but at the SD you most certainly DO get 180 day ADRs, 60 day FP+ and free delivery from parks to the hotel. As I said before, it's true that you can't get DME or the DDP, but many people (myself included) never use those services anyway.

NonnaT

I swear I'm not trying to pick a fight with you, but at the SD you most certainly DO get 180 day ADRs, 60 day FP+ and free delivery from parks to the hotel. As I said before, it's true that you can't get DME or the DDP, but many people (myself included) never use those services anyway.
Good to know... I thought it was similar to SOG... Thank you for the correct info

NonnaT

Also, I really didn't think you were trying to "pick a fight" . Evidently I have been woefully ignorant of the rules for SD. Do they get free magic bands, or do they have to buy them? And do you pay to park? Thank you... It would be nice to know just how they ARE different...

Last edited:
Have you thought about Old Key West?
We spent 10 nights there last year with the in-laws in a two bedroom suite which was huge, we got a great deal when booking through Disney UK, I assume pricing would be even better when done from the States.
We also did 4 nights at the Yacht Club to finish off the holiday which was fantastic & is now our resort of choice.
We've also stayed at the Swan in the past, which as previous posters have said is great value for money & very nice.
Whatever you decide to do, have a great vacation.

blueboxdoctor

I think Wilderness Lodge is the best resort for the money. It has the amenities of a deluxe but the price is closer to a mod than a deluxe. The grounds are beautiful and the boat ride to MK is so relaxing. On check-in you can see if there are any openings for "flag family" where you go to the roof of the resort and raise the flags and it's an awesome experience.

Flag Family? Oh my, I may have to look into this, going in December, didn't know this is a thing. And I agree, Wilderness Lodge is a pretty good deal, still close to the main loop (Poly, Grand Floridian, Contemporary) so as you said, you get the boat access to MK. And it seems the new method is to have everything in one giant building, so it's nice to be able to go from your room to the lobby/counter service without having to go outside if it is raining. Plus the pools and everything else included are very high quality, including the grounds you can walk around. And as an added bonus, the fireplaces in the main lobby on the higher floors are a great spot to relax, especially if it's raining outside (though, in that case I also enjoy the seating areas in the lobby near the windows facing the pool/main grounds, very nice views.

NYwdwfan

Flag Family? Oh my, I may have to look into this, going in December, didn't know this is a thing. And I agree, Wilderness Lodge is a pretty good deal, still close to the main loop (Poly, Grand Floridian, Contemporary) so as you said, you get the boat access to MK. And it seems the new method is to have everything in one giant building, so it's nice to be able to go from your room to the lobby/counter service without having to go outside if it is raining. Plus the pools and everything else included are very high quality, including the grounds you can walk around. And as an added bonus, the fireplaces in the main lobby on the higher floors are a great spot to relax, especially if it's raining outside (though, in that case I also enjoy the seating areas in the lobby near the windows facing the pool/main grounds, very nice views.

Definitely ask at check-in. We were there for a week and it was booked until our last day. Here's a photo from the roof:
208.JPG

JusticeDisney

Also, I really didn't think you were trying to "pick a fight" . Evidently I have been woefully ignorant of the rules for SD. Do they get free magic bands, or do they have to buy them? And do you pay to park? Thank you... It would be nice to know just how they ARE different...
At SD, you have to pay about $13 for magic bands, and you also have to pay a daily parking fee. There is also a daily resort fee at the SD. Even with the resort fee and parking fee, however, the SD is generally significantly cheaper than any other Disney deluxe, and is sometimes even cheaper than a Disney moderate.

DfromATX

Original Poster
I'll toss in another vote for AKL. It always seems to come out cheaper than the other deluxes and the resort is absolutely amazing. I think it is a great value. I've stayed there four times now and can't wait to get back.

If you decide to step down to a moderate I really enjoy POR. Quiet and beautiful grounds.

Actually, we stayed at POR in 2013, and you are right, it was nice. I think I'm leaning towards POFQ for next time.

DfromATX

Original Poster

That is what I meant and all those things you listed are important to me. :oops:

Why don't Swan and Dolphin have those perks? I'm sure they're nice hotels. I remember passing them on one of the boat rides somewhere.

alissafalco

You cant use disney gift cards, or get off property deliveries like groceries either.

JusticeDisney

You cant use disney gift cards, or get off property deliveries like groceries either.
That's true. And since you brought it up, I cannot even fathom getting groceries while on vacation. When I go away to enjoy myself, thats the last thing in the world I want to worry about.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom